OK, I'm looking at a Powertab for Road Games by Allan Holdsworth, and I'm really baffled by a chord:

E-----6------
B-----6------
G----10----
D-----8------
A-----9------
E------------

How in the world do you play this? Seriously, I've tried and my fingers just don't bend that far.

And please be gentle, I'm new to guitar.
bar the 6's with your index, pinky on 10th fret, middle on 8, ring on 9
Quote by Shredx
^ The bottom part of that post was the funniest thing I've read/seen today. And I bumped into David Mitchell (UK comedian) in London today so...

Like music? Maybe you'll like mine.

Soundcloud

Synth based tunes.
Barre the index for the e and b, pinky for g, ring for a, and middle for the d string.

If you're new to guitar, Holdsworth is not a good place to start. You'll just need to learn to stretch and gain finger strength, just like his obscure method of playing without any pull-offs.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Äkäskero
bar the 6's with your index, pinky on 10th fret, middle on 8, ring on 9

Noted and thank you.

Well, there goes my claim to be UG's Allan Holdsworth...

Hail: I'm not completely new to guitars, having played tenor and bass guitars before.
I don't have a guitar on me right now, but this is what I get just by looking at the tab:

Barre the top five strings at the sixth fret with your index finger
Pinky on the G string
Middle on the D string
Ring on the A string

It does seem like quite a stretch. Perhaps only barre the E and B strings and see if that works?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jkielq91
the 10 on the G string makes the exact same note and pitch as the 6 on the b string, so you can ignore the ten and just mute that out.

I'd do this, I'd also play the 11 fret on the B instead of 6 on the E.

If you don't want to change the voicing though good luck with it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
lets start with...holdsworth is not human...thus his chords can be made easy because he has 11 fingers..on each hand...

some impossible chords can be made in time...hand/finger muscles do streatch..but the real trick is not just to be able to play chords like that...but to put them in context and make them musical...thats the real hard part...

play well

wolf
Have you consulted your doctor before attempting any Allan Holdsworth-related material?

You'll be riding the Un-merry-go-round before you know it.
^
|
|

What this guy said. If you've ever seen the guy actually finger chords you'll understand why.
Your best bet is to have a surgeon graft a 20 inch mechanical servo controlled pinky onto your hand.
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
Quote by Crazyedd123
Have you consulted your doctor before attempting any Allan Holdsworth-related material?

You'll be riding the Un-merry-go-round before you know it.

I think I'm already riding the unmerry-go-round...

wolflen: Thank you for giving me a good laugh.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I would try and stay away from false claims. At the very least, you should know how to play your own songs.

Following the fingering given in the first reply that chord is relatively easy. If you're having trouble playing that then good luck playing the rest of the chords Alan plays.
Quote by griffRG7321
Following the fingering given in the first reply that chord is relatively easy. If you're having trouble playing that then good luck playing the rest of the chords Alan plays.

+1

You should be really comfortable doing this chord if you want to do those crazy Holdsworth stretches. I'm not saying this to let you down, but if you attempt those stretches without proper technique you can cause problems to your hand. If it ever hurts, stop doing it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I dont see whats so difficult about this chord. I have very small almost child like hands and i found it quite simple.
Quote by PureGouldBass
OK, I'm looking at a Powertab for Road Games by Allan Holdsworth, and I'm really baffled by a chord:

E-----6------
B-----6------
G----10----
D-----8------
A-----9------
E------------

How in the world do you play this? Seriously, I've tried and my fingers just don't bend that far.

And please be gentle, I'm new to guitar.

a trick to figure out fingering is this. DO NOT look at the top string, decide where your finger goes, then looking onto next string. INSTEAD look for the fret that is furthest to the tuning pegs of the guitar (closer to the first fret). if their is 2 or more of these notes then it is almost (not always) bared with the index finger.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
a trick to figure out fingering is this. DO NOT look at the top string, decide where your finger goes, then looking onto next string. INSTEAD look for the fret that is furthest to the tuning pegs of the guitar (closer to the first fret). if their is 2 or more of these notes then it is almost (not always) bared with the index finger.

Noted. Thank you, this is useful information.