Whats up UGers,

I've been recording my own music and posting on here for a few years and was thinking about creating a home recording E-book for my marketing class.

We have to do a public survey to see if our idea is popular and what not. So I guess I'm just wondering if fellow UGers would be excited for a newbie home recording ebook that covers the absolute basics on home recording from the very beginning of understanding how it all works, all the way up to getting the software you need, and actually recording music??

I created a basic little survey here if you can check it out and fill in some answers that would be so awesome. Its only 10 questions haha.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PDSBMW6

Thanks guis.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
Tbh, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but there are already tons and tons of guides out there that fit this task and are (probably) better than what I'd expect you to come up with as your first attempt, and most of those are free as well. Then there's also hundreds if not thousands of great books on the subject, that all sell well enough to be published in numerous editions.

I'd say your best bet is to pick an area with a bit more of a niche factor to it, but that still has the popularity to theoretically make an impact. That's just my opinion though
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by ampoverload
"Creating A Home Recording E-Book?"

not an

lol

Wasn't gonna say anything, but it also really annoys me when people do this for no explicable reason. I thought people were taught to use 'an' for vowels at a very young age
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
There's enough resources that I think if you were to do this, you should give it away for free. That way, you can work your hardest to make it the best guide possible and make a name for yourself.

Be sure to cover gain staging, impedance, all the neat little technical aspects of the equipment, including the computer.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Wasn't gonna say anything, but it also really annoys me when people do this for no explicable reason. I thought people were taught to use 'an' for vowels at a very young age

I assume he pronounces home "ome", kind of like honest I guess.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Tbh, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but there are already tons and tons of guides out there that fit this task and are (probably) better than what I'd expect you to come up with as your first attempt, and most of those are free as well. Then there's also hundreds if not thousands of great books on the subject, that all sell well enough to be published in numerous editions.

I'd say your best bet is to pick an area with a bit more of a niche factor to it, but that still has the popularity to theoretically make an impact. That's just my opinion though

Yes I was thinking about that as well. However, when I was just starting out, I felt like there was a ton of info out there on websites and forums, but a lot of it was so scattered and too specific for certain topics. My thinking was to keep it very simple, and maybe even provide video/audio examples to go along with the book. Basically, to get you everything you need to start recording in an afternoon, without all the hassle of "learning about how to EQ vocals to sound like Limp Bizkit." etc...

Definitely appreciating the advice. Thanks. Any ideas for more of AN niche factor? (lol)

Quote by muso_catolico
There's enough resources that I think if you were to do this, you should give it away for free. That way, you can work your hardest to make it the best guide possible and make a name for yourself.

Be sure to cover gain staging, impedance, all the neat little technical aspects of the equipment, including the computer.

Cool, thanks for the ideas.
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
honestly it doesnt seem like such a bad idea.. unless youre willing to sell it.. the problems beginners face is that they dont want to buy more stuff after they see what everything will cost them.. theres too much information and it is too spreaded.. a wikie in a pdf with a list of components , suggestions and a diagramm of what they are gonna need would make the path easier.. if you give it for free it will certainly be used,(and you could maybe get some endorsement from companies you suggest) and also accept donations.. if you charge for it.. there is really thorough stuff out there and it will be hard to compete against it