so I am a junior in High school and since I have my priorities straight I have been wanting to get an amp to be able to be used in my dorm but also to be able to gig with it. So far I am looking to get either an egnater renegade112 or a custom amp from tone monk. I play everything from clean blues to garage rock to some surf rock ish type stuff some southern rock some grunge and some psych blues. I have an Epiphone sherraton 2 and I am currently building a strat so with that said wich amp is right for me both amps will be in and arround the same price range so I would just like to know what experience you have had with these amps and what you have thought thanks alot!

my budget is 2k and down
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Last edited by fmonzo27 at Sep 29, 2011,
You're only in first year highschool and you're thinking of an amp for college? you have loads of time to think about it. You can pretty much gig with anything, they useally mic your amp anyways, but I'd say look into a Peavey head, bugera heads, or even some used mesa heads, as for cab, just a 2x12 would do, gotta tell us your budget though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
You're only in first year highschool and you're thinking of an amp for college? you have loads of time to think about it. You can pretty much gig with anything, they useally mic your amp anyways, but I'd say look into a Peavey head, bugera heads, or even some used mesa heads, as for cab, just a 2x12 would do, gotta tell us your budget though.

Junior is 3rd year of high school, bro.

Anyway, you're not going to be able to play any sort of tube amp in a college dorm unless it has a headphone jack or you have excellent control of the volume knob.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
buy an amp you like alot now, probably a head and 112 cab, then come university/college buy a jet city ISO cab or the lastest digital modeller out there
Quote by Seanthesheep
buy an amp you like alot now, probably a head and 112 cab, then come university/college buy a jet city ISO cab or the lastest digital modeller out there

I already have a 20 watt fender mustang 1 but I hate it and plan on gigging a ton more in college and plus I dont have enough money for either at the moment
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Quote by Raijouta
Junior is 3rd year of high school, bro.

Anyway, you're not going to be able to play any sort of tube amp in a college dorm unless it has a headphone jack or you have excellent control of the volume knob.

Junior....3rd year...makes perfect sense

You can absolutly play a tube amp in a college dorm, you can play any amp at a low enough volume, not saying it will sound it's best, but you absolutly can.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Sep 29, 2011,
I know a lot of ppl will prolly shoot me down on this one but I've got a Line 6 Flextone III that I'm currently using in college and it's killer. (Yes I realize finding a good Line 6 amp is like playing roulette, but this one's been really solid and sounds pretty decent.) I'm a tone freak and I'm super peticular in my sounds. So far its been great for practice and when I want to gig, it gets stupid loud. I've never gigged past volume: 3. It's solid state but gets some warmness out of it. Like I said I know a lot of ppl would shoot me down on this one, but its super functional and sounds good. It's a great practice amp. I'm actually looking at selling mine cuz I've got a new tube set-up. It's got a brand new MkII floorboard that I haven't used more than a handful of times but it makes the capabilities so infinite (especially when you can change all the dynamics in your computer). Anyway if you or anyone is interested let me know. It's in excelent condition and I take very good care of it. Either way hope that helps some. Good luck on the hunt!
Quote by sledmaniac_13
I know a lot of ppl will prolly shoot me down on this one but I've got a Line 6 Flextone III that I'm currently using in college and it's killer. (Yes I realize finding a good Line 6 amp is like playing roulette, but this one's been really solid and sounds pretty decent.) I'm a tone freak and I'm super peticular in my sounds. So far its been great for practice and when I want to gig, it gets stupid loud. I've never gigged past volume: 3. It's solid state but gets some warmness out of it. Like I said I know a lot of ppl would shoot me down on this one, but its super functional and sounds good. It's a great practice amp. I'm actually looking at selling mine cuz I've got a new tube set-up. It's got a brand new MkII floorboard that I haven't used more than a handful of times but it makes the capabilities so infinite (especially when you can change all the dynamics in your computer). Anyway if you or anyone is interested let me know. It's in excelent condition and I take very good care of it. Either way hope that helps some. Good luck on the hunt!

+1 on that.
normally i dont recommend any amp for a dorm room but the flextones are great amps for what they are. also have a look at the vyper series. just dont be the guy that lugs a mesa triple rec and a 4x12 into a dorm room.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Axe FX. Get a power cab for gigging and run straight to laptop in your dorm. Great sound and quiet, just get some really nice headphones.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Axe FX. Get a power cab for gigging and run straight to laptop in your dorm. Great sound and quiet, just get some really nice headphones.

Spot on, +1.

Using anything with a speaker in your dorm is going to make you tremendously unpopular. Headphones at home, PA at gigs.
^yep. I mean if you don't want to shell out the cash or take such an expensive piece of equipment to a dorm then I would buy a HD500 and call it a day. Shit gets stolen and borked at dorms man. And yes anything with a speaker will piss ppl off trying to study and sleep.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I almost ended up getting a Renegade 112 for my dorm room, but just decided it wasn't the right amp. It would work just fine though.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray