So I have been playing with some elixer coated 10-46 for a long time now, and the high E string has started to feel "sharp" near the nut, like blade sharp not # sharp, is it about time to change strings? Sound bout the same and I do not see much ware on it, what you guys think?
Last edited by Ericthegreat at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by Ericthegreat
So I have been playing with some elixer coated 10-46 for a long time now

Do you mean the same set?
Where's Waldo?
I doubt the string would get sharpened somehow..maybe you could try heavier gauge strings if it bugs you. or get harder callouses lol
Quote by carlsbad
I wish my grass was emo, so it can cut itself

Quote by Cynoxx
He's asian, dude. For everything awesome you do there's always an asian kid that can do it at least 4 times better...
Yea the same set, it just feels like the string might have got stretched too much near the top, is that impossible?
i have noticed certain brands do tend to feel "sharper" but only on the higher frets. once i took maybe the 14 or 15 of the B to a full bend and the string went between my nail and the flesh, and i was bleeding pretty bad, so i suggest getting new strings or maybe switching brands, or gauge size.
Quote by Ericthegreat
Yea the same set, it just feels like the string might have got stretched too much near the top, is that impossible?

Well, If it has been on there forever, the coating could have come off (causing it not necessarily to be sharp; but different), and if it did it may have gotten some rust/tarnish on it.

I can't quite say though. I've never heard of this with any kind of string.
Where's Waldo?
Is this just a sudden/recent thing you're noticing?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well if it's just recent, then just change the strings. You probably should anyway, since you said they've been on there for a while. I think every 2 months is a good time to change strings. Obviously depends a lot on how much you play though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only time I have ever thought to myself that the non wound strings were sharp is when I'd take a long break from playing and lose my calluses.

the way I see it, if you can feel the string and it hurts, the calluses aren't thick enough.