I was just trying to learn my first Hendrix tune, Little Wing, and I was having some difficulty. I think I have the technical ability to play it, but the style of playing this song calls for is something I'm not experienced with. What I am talking about specifically is the thumbed bass chord.

The reason I have difficulty with this chord is because I have clubbed/toe, short thumbs. The only time I use this type of chord is when I play "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", when you have to have your pinky open to play some scale notes. When I do it, the bass note just kinda buzzes, and if I get enough thumb over to hold it right, the other fingers are all uncomfortable and muting strings.

I perhaps wrote too much for a simple problem, so I just wanted to ask, is there anyone out there who has overcome this small guitar handicap? Any words of advice?
I have short fingers and yet I love thick necks (Gibson 50's) and I found that lots and lots of practice is the only way.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I have short fingers and yet I love thick necks (Gibson 50's) and I found that lots and lots of practice is the only way.

Are you able to use those Hendrix style chords, where you use your thumb for the bass note, successfully?
Personally, I have medium sized, inflexible hands, I always try and refinger those chords somehow.

Practice helps but the more difficult ones may be beyond you - Hendrix had huge thumbs!
Quote by royisinabox
Are you able to use those Hendrix style chords, where you use your thumb for the bass note, successfully?

At first when I did it it felt weird as hell for a few weeks, but then your thumb doesn't feel weird when it happens.