So, I'm not that great of a singer so I want to add distortion to my voice (I.E. Queens of the stone age or Sex Bob-Omb) I'm in a band with a female singer and we want a more masculine voice on some of the songs. We have a grunge kinda sound so I want to run my microphone through my old Marshall and put the distortion through it, but it screams when I do most of the time. I have an ISP decimator which is a noise cancelling pedal, if I put it through there should I be able to eliminate the feedback?
Last edited by SoapboxFrank at Sep 29, 2011,
It won't hurt to try
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by SoapboxFrank
So, I'm not that great of a singer so I want to add distortion to my voice (I.E. Queens of the stone age or Sex Bob-Omb) I'm in a band with a female singer and we want a more masculine voice on some of the songs.

so to get your voice to sound masculine you need distortion? what?
Depends what the output impedance of the microphone is. A guitar's output is high impedance, and that's what the pedal and amp are designed for. If the microphone's output impedance is too low you can get a lot of unwanted buzz and noise from the mismatch. That can be corrected with a reamp box.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
A Decimator isn't going to help you in this situation. You're overloading the input of the amplifier with a low impedance signal. Instrument level signal (ie. guitars and bass guitars) is significantly lower level than mic/line level. There's a good chance you're probably clipping the DS1's input doing this as well.

Can you explain your full signal chain?
Sounds like you are getting feedback. Make sure your mic is directional and you have the amp outside the zone.
Vocal distortion live is always tricky. You get masses of feedback. Usually, the pros will have no distortion through the monitors. You'll need to set the gain really low to avoid feedback. I run my guitar and mic through my Line 6 HD500 live and achieve reasonable results by using a noise gate either side of the distortion. Also keep the treble low.