Well I figured out why my amp doesn't work anymore. After about 10 months my amp's volume dwindled (to the point where you need to turn the volume and gain knobs all the way up to hear anything listenable) and the two power tubes have a dark powdery residue smeared on the glass, which leads me to believe they burned out. However no harm seems to have been done to the 3 preamp tubes.
So do I REALLY need to replace them too? It would save me a great deal of money if I were to just buy new power tubes, but I would understand any valid reason why I should shell out the extra cash for those 3 new preamp tubes too.
You only need to replace the power tubes, but who knows when the preamps will go as well, it's just simpler, less time consuming, and less frustrating to replace them all in one go, rather than just the power tubes, then over time replace the preamp tubes one at a time as they go out over time.

Plus, new preamp tubes sound delicious compared to old ones.
It just comes down to whether you want to replace them all in one go, or hope that the preamps don't die on you soon. I would go with the latter, personally. You may have just gotten dodgey tubes.
West Ham United
TS - just focus on replacing your power tubes for now. Maybe buy 1 preamp tube either as a spare or for experimenting.

Quote by ethan_hanus
You only need to replace the power tubes, but who knows when the preamps will go as well, it's just simpler, less time consuming, and less frustrating to replace them all in one go, rather than just the power tubes, then over time replace the preamp tubes one at a time as they go out over time.

Is that actually one whole sentence?

Confusing.
Preamp tubes have about three times the life expectancy as power tubes. You should have replaced all your power tubes after the first one died. Now that you've left it running with TWO blown power tubes for god knows how long, there's a good chance you've done your amp some harm.

Replace all the power tubes with a matched series. Take the amp to a tech afterwards when you have the cash and ask him to inspect the electronics.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
TS - just focus on replacing your power tubes for now. Maybe buy 1 preamp tube either as a spare or for experimenting.

Is that actually one whole sentence?

Confusing.

I like using run-ons, just to see who comes out of the wood work to correct me.
You should always have a spare set of power tubes and at least ones spare preamp tube. One preamp tube is enough for testing and it's rare to blow more than one at a time. Had you had these spares you wouldn't have needed to start this thread because you could have tested it with your spares and made a determination for yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification