Hence the title, i'm tired of my dull spider. I'm not going to say how bad it is, well everybody knows. I obviously need a BBG. (Big Boy Gear)

BUDGET: 300$,350$.

WHAT I PLAY: Simple Plan, Green Day, All Time Low, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Story of the Year, Avenged Sevenfold, Escape the Fate, so on... my favorite would be a tie between Story of the Year and Three Days Grace.

AREA: South of Montreal, Quebec. The nearest ''big'' store is the Archambault in Boucherville. I live in Mont-Saint-Hilaire. (french place, obviously.)

I would need at least three sounds: A clean sound, a fat rock overdrive, and a high gain/distortion/thing for metal. I don't mind if they are channels or pedals, all i need is a footswitch for channels.

EDIT:
-I dont mind going used;
-I'll be playing with a drum and gigging, but i also enjoy playing in my living room with the stereo;
-As said before , my current gear is Schecter Omen 6>Unknown gold cable>Line 6 Spider IV 15w+Line 6 FBVII footswitch.

Any ideas?
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Sep 29, 2011,
$350 most likely wont get you big boy gear.. but it will get you an improvement.
mojostompboxes.com
Go about $380 and get your self a nice tube combo. I have a Bugera V22 and i love it.
You'll get more for your money if you go used at this budget.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by bass94
Go about $380 and get your self a nice tube combo. I have a Bugera V22 and i love it.

I don't know if the bugera can deliver the metal tones without a pedal. That would be like $80 extra...

TS, at this price range you need to decide between modeling or tube. With modeling you won't get the warmth of tubes but you won't need any effects pedals unless you want a specific model. But with tube (unless you go for the vypyr/fender superchamp XD) you won't get any effects except maybe reverb and you'll probably have to go buy a distortion/OD pedal to boost your amp for metal tones. Knowing if you want SS or tube will help us out alot....

EDIT: Of course you could buy a tube amp and a multi effects pedal but I think that's too inconvenient.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Sep 29, 2011,
Yeah... I thought of going used. I'm trying to get a job this weekend, so the budget may get to 400$-450$, depending on how soon I get a job. Also depends on how much i get from my spider IV 15w and the FBVII, all flawless and cose with original boxes.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Sep 29, 2011,
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Yeah... I thought of going used. I'm trying to get a job this weekend, so the budget may get to 400$-450$, depending on how soon I get a job. Also depends on how much i get from my spider and the FBVII, all flawless and cose with original boxes.

What spider is it? I had the 15w in excellent condition and GC gave me $50.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Might want to just get a Mustang for now, then save up for a Jet City or a "real" Marshall.
Well, what i'll be buying now is something id like to keep for one or two year... Also, some stuff i forgot to mention in the OP:

-I dont mind going used;
-I'll be playing with a drum and gigging, but i also enjoy playing in my living room with the stereo;
-As said before , my current gear is Schecter Omen 6>Unknown gold cable>Line 6 Spider IV 15w+Line 6 FBVII footswitch.
I know a guy who gigs with a Mustang II. He used to use some heavy Fender tweed blues amp. The first time I saw it at a gig with the new amp, the tone actually sounded better than on the tweed and made me check out what was going on with the amp. I hadn't heard of the Mustangs before that and I was floored when I found out it wasn't a tube amp.

He didn't even mic the cab and it cut through accoustic drums, another loud guitar (80w tube), keyboards, and a several hundred watt bass.
Could i just get a random tube amp with like 40W and good cleans, and get an OD/Boost pedal? How much wpuld this cost used?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Could i just get a random tube amp with like 40W and good cleans, and get an OD/Boost pedal? How much wpuld this cost used?

You COULD but then you're buying a Tube amp to just put a digital distortion in front of it anyway, thus removing any point of buying the tube amp in the first place.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You COULD but then you're buying a Tube amp to just put a digital distortion in front of it anyway, thus removing any point of buying the tube amp in the first place.

Clean boost OD isn't a distortion pedal. A lot of people with high gain tube amps use clean boosts to shape their sound.

OP, have you checked Kijiji? You'll probably have a rough time finding a used tube combo for under $500. Depends on how patient you are.

How about: http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-AMPLI-GUITARE-TRAYNOR-YCV50-BLUE-W0QQAdIdZ313055157

I know it's out of your budget, but maybe you can talk them down?

Or:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Peavey-Valveking-100-Watt-Tube-2x12-W0QQAdIdZ315847011

You'd probably want a boost for metal on either of those amps. The Traynor is a better all around amp, but the Valveking is a lot cheaper! For gigging, the valveking will weight quite a bit more than the 1x12 Traynor as well. Free work out!

Another option is to go with a new Peavey Vypyr 60 tube combo for a little over $500 after taxes. They are relatively new, so you probably won't find any great used deals on them yet.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
THE best idea right now is to deal with what you have and save up for something that you want that would last for a while. guitar center will not give you squat for your spider even if it is in "mint" condition.

work your budget up to 500 bucks or so then have a look at the used market.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by ChemicalFire

he didn't say he was gonna get a digital distortion pedal. There are hardly any digital distortion pedals anyway...
Quote by ChemicalFire

you obviously have no clue how distortion pedals work
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by ChemicalFire

Most distortion pedals aren't digital.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Yeah, that would be awful...

kinda like a Vypyr 60 watt...

or a Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve...

or any VOX Valvetronix...

or a Marshall Silver Jubilee or JCM 900...

(not that any of those are ideal, but...)

or like running an Line 6 M-13 through a Diezel amp like Hetfield...

or reamping with a real amp from a recording using VSTs for effects like is commonly done in professional studios...

Terrible idea. No one would ever want to do that.

Sure, it's possible to mess up a great tube tone with pedals, but given reasonable pedal settings, a great tube amp can even make a mid level MFX pedal sound great.

And...
Quote by kutless999
Most distortion pedals aren't digital.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by DarthV
Clean boost OD isn't a distortion pedal. A lot of people with high gain tube amps use clean boosts to shape their sound.

OP, have you checked Kijiji? You'll probably have a rough time finding a used tube combo for under $500. Depends on how patient you are.

How about: http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-AMPLI-GUITARE-TRAYNOR-YCV50-BLUE-W0QQAdIdZ313055157

I know it's out of your budget, but maybe you can talk them down?

Or:

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Peavey-Valveking-100-Watt-Tube-2x12-W0QQAdIdZ315847011

You'd probably want a boost for metal on either of those amps. The Traynor is a better all around amp, but the Valveking is a lot cheaper! For gigging, the valveking will weight quite a bit more than the 1x12 Traynor as well. Free work out!

Another option is to go with a new Peavey Vypyr 60 tube combo for a little over $500 after taxes. They are relatively new, so you probably won't find any great used deals on them yet.

+1

When I was trying to think of 'Big Boy' amps in the $350 - $450 range I was thinking of the Peavey Windsor and the Traynor YCV50B. I owned a Valveking once and have some good tones in them if you are willing to tweak and mod. Peavey XXX/Ultra are def big boy. Maybe Jet City.

I got my Vypyr 60 for $315 USD used.

After that - the big boy list drops off fast.
Quote by jetwash69
I know a guy who gigs with a Mustang II. He used to use some heavy Fender tweed blues amp. The first time I saw it at a gig with the new amp, the tone actually sounded better than on the tweed and made me check out what was going on with the amp. I hadn't heard of the Mustangs before that and I was floored when I found out it wasn't a tube amp.

He didn't even mic the cab and it cut through accoustic drums, another loud guitar (80w tube), keyboards, and a several hundred watt bass.

I don't know what kind of Mustang on steroids he got , but mine definitely does not sound like a tube amp...It sounds good, but not like a tube amp. It does cut through the mix like a tube amp would though................ weird because most SS amps don't do that. Anyway......TS, the mustang is not like a tube amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I don't know what kind of Mustang on steroids he got , but mine definitely does not sound like a tube amp...It sounds good, but not like a tube amp. It does cut through the mix like a tube amp would though................ weird because most SS amps don't do that. Anyway......TS, the mustang is not like a tube amp.

Well, since he got that amp I've only seen him play it with his Roadworn SSS Strat with stock pups, so the guitar isn't giving it steroids. He didn't bother with pedals, either.

There's a bunch of patches on that thing, but to be fair, he said he only liked 3 of them. He also said he hadn't messed with the USB tweaking yet.

I'm pretty familiar with what tubes sound like, since my main rig is a JVM, and lots of times I play it without effects.

Wonder if you're using the same patch he did. Seems mathematically unlikely, though.
If you plan on keeping ur amp for a year or two, you'd be better off saving up some money.

Off course, I might be more picky, but your ears will evolve quite a bit in such a time if you play regularly.

You don't have to save an extra thousand or so; I think if you double your budget to 650ish it will be much better.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You're not going to get a "big boy" amp in your budget. Not even on the used market. Guitar is a very expensive hobby.

You can get some decent gear though. Your best bet is probably a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 & Sanpera I. You could also get some decent tones from the ValveKing, but that's a lot of work. The Vypyr Tube is a far superior amp to the ValveKing anyway, IMO (have owned both).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by stykerwolf
he's in france, it's going to cost him 400,000 dollars for a real marshall

AREA: South of Montreal, Quebec.

That's a LONG way from France!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by stykerwolf

No offence bro, did you failed geography?
Quote by stykerwolf

You need to study geography some more.
Would a Jet City Amplification JCA2112RC 20W and a Jet City Amplification Afterburner Distortion be ok for gigging/playing with a drum? The gig i'm talking about is my school's theater(or whatever you name it). Max capacity: 300 or so.
Quote by stykerwolf

Well, since everyone else is commenting on your fail, this is my contribution:

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Funny, yeah... What about the amp and pedals?

We'll get to that eventually

So, pancakes or waffles? I prefer waffles mainly because the syrup doesn't drip off.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Funny, yeah... What about the amp and pedals?

If the school has a decent PA system, then you could even use my battery-powered .5-1-5 watt VOX DA5 mic'd up.

Regardless of what you get you should probably mic it, and you might want to budget for an industry standard solution like the Shure SM57. There are other options, but at $100 - $110 new you'll be hard pressed to find anything much better for less money. Nevermind if the school already has that; but many won't. Expect them to have some $20 Radio Shack mic or something.

Last time I played a theater with 800+ capacity, we used my 100watt Marshall halfstack, and we mic'd that too. It was borderline too loud with the channel gain and volume on 10, but the master volume set to 2.5. When I say it was almost too lound; it was a little difficult for the vocals and drums to cut through the house's multi-thousand watt PA over the half-stack's cab.

But I don't have experience with the Jet City products other than giving a few of them quick tests at the music shops.