Howdy UG,

I've got a NGD on the way (hurry up American/Australian postage, depending on where my new arrival currently is).

I wont spoil anything so I'll just name out some of the specifications to give a better idea of what wood is in the guitar to help narrow down the selection.

Budget - $ 200 - 350

6 Strings
Mahogany Body w/ Quilted Maple Top
Ebony Fretboard
Maple Neck

The music I play is a mixture of For The Fallen Dreams, which a mix of the Architects technicality. The band I'm in uses two tunings (Drop A# and Drop G) I would like the pickups to excel at providing a great tone in both tunings (Think For The Fallen Dreams and Periphery, articulate and let every note come through clearly in large chords).

I'm not limiting myself to only Bareknuckle, so any other suggestions are appreciated.

The guitar is coming stock with a set of JB/59 pickups, and I've heard many mixed reviews about these pickups being used for low tuned metal.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Just want to add, the ideal neck pup sound I'm after would be the from the Jetpacks Was Yes solo. A smooth and articulate esq sound?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Sep 30, 2011,
Aftermath.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ Painkiller, gotta have those mids.

I'm worried about the Painkiller because my 6505 already has a buttload of mids, and I don't want to be quackin' all over the joint!
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Just want to add, the ideal neck pup sound I'm after would be the from the Jetpacks Was Yes solo. A smooth and articulate esq sound?

Quote by MatrixClaw
Aftermath.

Call me crazy, but off the Aftermath demo on the BKP site I found the Aftermath to sound the most "flat" out of all the other suggestions?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Ola Englund
Just give the JBs a try before ditching it. One of my favourite pickups...

Was planning on that.
This is just "study" for if I happen to dislike the JB's.

Quote by AcousticMirror
warpigs

So far I've had no two of the same answers, thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll have to do the process of elimination and sort through all the different suggestions till I find my favourite.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Cold Sweats. Works with my guitar in G.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Ask bareknuckle?
Their customer service is amazing, and they will give you very good suggestions
RIP Gooze

cats
Do we get a prize if we guess what guitar you're getting?

Anyway, for pickups I suggest either Blackouts, or (my personal preference) EMG 81X/60X.

About BKP... All I gotta say is don't get BKP's just because they're BKP's. They're not by any means the end all for tone, even though some people here make it seem like they are.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do we get a prize if we guess what guitar you're getting?

Anyway, for pickups I suggest either Blackouts, or (my personal preference) EMG 81X/60X.

About BKP... All I gotta say is don't get BKP's just because they're BKP's. They're not by any means the end all for tone, even though some people here make it seem like they are.

Sorry, no prizes for the correct answer! I'm all out of cash and couldn't afford anything prize worthy!
I guess that's another hint for you?!

I merely used BKP's as the thread title to
a) Show that I've got a budget which allows for a more wider range of suggestions

b) Get all the BKP fanboys attention

c) I like the sound of the Aftermath and Painkiller judging by the demos, although I wasn't sure if they would work well with my new guitar

Also, I've finalized it down to the Aftermath and Painkiller in the bridge, although that's just from BKP and haven't had any other non-BKP related suggestions. (Someone did suggest Blackouts or EMG's, I'm really not keen on this guitar with active pickups, thanks for the suggestion though!)
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ Painkiller, gotta have those mids.

The Aftermath works much better at that low of a tuning IMO, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Painkillers, but Drop A# and G are retardedly low and I really don't feel like a Painkiller could pull that off. Plus, he's asking about more djenty tones, which is what the Aftermath was made for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have an Aftermath 7 bridge, have a Coldsweat 7 set on the way and am about to purchase a Painkiller 7. I like similar music to you too. Those are some of my favorite bands.

My experience with the Aftermath is good. It's the clearest pickup I've ever played on, it's got alot of mids (more high mids than low mids) and somewhat bright. Very tight and clear low end, but in my opinion there's just too much low end. The pickup isn't muddy by any means and alot of people would call me crazy for saying it, but the Aftermath is a bit bassy for me. The low end is pretty much perfect to me, there's just too much of it.

I kind of bought the Coldsweats on impulse to be honest, but from my understanding they have a slightly more scooped sound. They are a little more vintage sounding and are super super clear, quite bright and pretty low output (for a "high output" humbucker) Tight lows, but not a big amount of them on this one. I've heard people say this pickup sounds thin, but the low end comes from the bass guitar.

The Painkiller is described on BKPs website as the "Djent" pickup. Lots of high mids, lots of brightness, a really tight low end and a good amount of output. This sounds alot to me like a Dimarzio D-Activator (probably my favorite pickups I've played) But I've fallen in love with the dynamics, clarity and unique midrange you get from BKPs.

Keep in mind the only one I've had first hand experience with was the Aftermath and it's in basswood. A Nailbomb is another thing to look at but I think these will be better suiting to you.
warpigs ftw
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by Levi79
I have an Aftermath 7 bridge, have a Coldsweat 7 set on the way and am about to purchase a Painkiller 7. I like similar music to you too. Those are some of my favorite bands.

My experience with the Aftermath is good. It's the clearest pickup I've ever played on, it's got alot of mids (more high mids than low mids) and somewhat bright. Very tight and clear low end, but in my opinion there's just too much low end. The pickup isn't muddy by any means and alot of people would call me crazy for saying it, but the Aftermath is a bit bassy for me. The low end is pretty much perfect to me, there's just too much of it.

I kind of bought the Coldsweats on impulse to be honest, but from my understanding they have a slightly more scooped sound. They are a little more vintage sounding and are super super clear, quite bright and pretty low output (for a "high output" humbucker) Tight lows, but not a big amount of them on this one. I've heard people say this pickup sounds thin, but the low end comes from the bass guitar.

The Painkiller is described on BKPs website as the "Djent" pickup. Lots of high mids, lots of brightness, a really tight low end and a good amount of output. This sounds alot to me like a Dimarzio D-Activator (probably my favorite pickups I've played) But I've fallen in love with the dynamics, clarity and unique midrange you get from BKPs.

Keep in mind the only one I've had first hand experience with was the Aftermath and it's in basswood. A Nailbomb is another thing to look at but I think these will be better suiting to you.

Holy crap, that was some very useful information! You've managed to tie the knot on the Aftermath in the bridge.

I've been listening to the Aftermath's modern metal and death metal clip on replay for roughly an hour or so and have really started to dig the tone of the pickup.

Just got a message back from BKP, once more recommending the Aftermath! The fella also linked me to the video of Misha Mansoor doing a demo of the Aftermaths in his Bernie Reico Jr.... Sounds amazing.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3