Ok so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I've been playing for about 4 years and i've never been much for playing lead kind of stuff, but as most guitars players do i've ventured into sweeping. I know a couple 5 string sweeps and I can play those pretty quickly and cleanly but for whatever reason 3 string sweeps get me. I don't know if it's the faster change in direction from the 5 string sweeps or not, but I'm trying to learn a song with one in it and I just can't get it down. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to get better at this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Yeah I have the same problem but it's sorta rectified itself by now. 5-7 string sweeps are way easier (in moderation) than 3 in my experience. Might be because I think they are cooler so I spend more time on the 5 stringers... But yeah.
Like anything else, slow it down until you can play it cleanly and build muscle memory and speed it up as you go. There's not an easy route here.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
you can also make use of note values.

Sweep picking is done in probably 80-90% of the cases as triplets.

You select the lick or shape you want to learn.

Set the metronome to a slow speed.

Play the shape as 4ths notes (this means 1 note per beat. It will help you deelop muscle memory, as hail told you)

Then do the same shape at the same BPM as 8th notes (2 notes per click)

Finally repeat the process at 60 as triplets.

After you get used to the triplets you can raise the bpm and play the shape as triplets only.

Beware:

When playing very slowly focus on your left hand - keep your fingers close to the fretboard

That is the goal of playing slow. To learn your muscles how to have an economical position concerning distance between fingers and fretboard.

Once the proper shape is learned you can focus on the sweeping part (you picking hand)
I had the exact same problem for a while. Really, the only advice I can give is just to practice.

One thing that I found helpful when practicing was to create a sort of implied melody with the various arpeggios I knew. I don't know why, but I found those practice sessions where I had some musical context far more helpful than just practicing the same 3 string arpeggio over and over again. Maybe give that a shot and see what happens.