I'm no guitar hero but I admit, somewhat shamefully, somewhat, that I left a less "dedicated" band to join a band of people that wanna play. We played great tonight, I was excited that we actually had a lotta people there, I'm somewhat relieved things went the way they did. But it sounded more guns n roses than pavement to me. I'd prefer pavement. I admit it was fun and all our practices sound like we have a good chemistry, but damn....
Anyone know this feeling?
If you enjoy it, does it matter that it's maybe not exactly the style of band you'd want to be in?

I've been in a few bands over the years, and most of the ones which have lasted & got gigs were the ones which weren't the style I'd have chosen.

If you weren't enjoying it, I'd say to quit, but as you're having fun and there's chemistry there, stick with it. Who knows, maybe the sound will evolve into something you'd prefer over time.

And BTW - GNR>Pavement
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
When you say it sounded more GNR do you mean you actually played some covers *by them or any similar bands), or are you just talking about original music in the style of...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by GaryBillington
If you enjoy it, does it matter that it's maybe not exactly the style of band you'd want to be in?

I've been in a few bands over the years, and most of the ones which have lasted & got gigs were the ones which weren't the style I'd have chosen.

If you weren't enjoying it, I'd say to quit, but as you're having fun and there's chemistry there, stick with it. Who knows, maybe the sound will evolve into something you'd prefer over time.

This guys has the right idea. Seriously.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Yes you are. If you don't play the style of music you'd prefer you obviously are.

And yes Pavement > Guns N' Roses

And why not make original songs without a specific style?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
...because if they do write their own material you'll eventually get into situations where you CAN influence the stuff you guys play by throwing in your own ideas. If the don't seem to take you seriously or get really anal about adding new people to the writing process or heading in new directions, THAT's when you really need to start asking yourself whether you want to stay in this band

Just don't force it tho > if you guys sit down to discuss songwriting then "OH COOL, NOW CAN WE PLAY SOME PAVEMENT???" ain't exactly a mature contribution to the songwriting process, but if you throw in some good ideas they'll pbbly pick 'em up along the way if they're cool and open minded people

Personally I'd never pull ANY band in a certain direction, unless I were like the lead guitarist + singer + main songwriter and that direction was something totally new... Because people are usually way more willing to go along with the flow if your band is surrounded by some type of "wow, it really feels like we're doing something unique here"-aura. Otherwise it's just "wait a minute, this guy just wants us to play Green Day" or something, and that's when mutinies happen because different people like different bands

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I dont know the feeling. My band sucks but we always have fun and tons of people dancing. Thats all that matters to me. Not happy = no point in playing
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Not enjoying the sound/style has a big affect on the musician. I know I tend to play mediocre when I'm playing something I can't get into.

Quite often people leave groups due to musical differences, so eventually you might find yourself down that road if you're not playing music you generally like.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by DempseyPunk
Not happy = no point in playing

Yeah, life is too short to waste on doing something you don't enjoy.

Hrm, I should take my own advice.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by !SOAD!
if the band works just stay with it

I agree band poilitics can drive the most talented bands apart, you should rather stay and see what kind of sound you guys evolve into and try and have some influence on that
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
I had this same problem at first in my band, stuck it out then we wrote some pretty good stuff i think then they kicked me out for no reason