so, i own a marshall mg10, with a seemingly un-tamable distort. its either wildly loud cleans, or metal like distort. how can i achieve an powerful eighties distort?
(btw the amp only has gain volume and a contour knob -- pretty crap)

kthx
Do you have any budget to afford a pedal to get the sound you want? Obviously a multi FX unit would provide the most flexibility, but it would depend how much you have to spend.

Although as I type that, I think to myself "if he could afford a pedal, he could afford a new amp", so now I'm wondering if this post was worth it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
In theory, yes. The gain knob should only gradually increase the amount of distortion you're getting, so if you don't want too much you only turn it part way.

In practice, it's a fairly basic amp so if you're after a specific sound it's unlikely you'll achieve it. As you only have a gain knob to control it, you're only ever going to get the MG distortion from it unless you add something else into the mix.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The MG is a fairly poor amp. You'll be hard pressed to get a desirable tone out of that and I recommend upgrading amps before thinking about buying any effects. No effect will make a cheap amp sound good and, in my opinion, having a pedal which is more expensive than your actual amp is a bit silly.
West Ham United
Quote by fattychronic
buy a jcm800

This.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

If you're not in the market to buy a new amp check out the AMT-Legend series pedals.
Cheap and sounds great!