hi
ive been playing electric guitar for about a year now and i have a problem with downpicking
a couple of months ago i started learning master of puppets by metallica, including the solo, and in the rhythm parts i cant go faster than 80% speed (on a good day, after i warmed up, maybe 85)
so i decided to let it go and return to it later
a week ago guitar world released video lessons by trivium, one of which was how to play "inception of the end"
heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTJ7s2sr6o
as you can see the first part of the intro/verse riff is down picked, but more importantly the pre-chorus riff is fast and entirely down-picked.
here i can only get to 85% and i still sometimes miss a note
is there a way to improve my down-picking speed?
while i was learning master of puppets i did try just playing it again and again but it didnt really help
thanks and sorry for the bad english
Take it right back to a slow speed, something like half the original speed (playing with a metronome) and just gradually build up, it can be frustrating but that's the path I had to take
what minute and second do you mean ?
im not near a guitar right now.. but i bet you can alternate pick everything..

btw- as unrelated advice, those guys have terrible terrible technique, Matt´s technique is specially painful to watch.. so i wouldnt take hints from them regarding technique..
Quote by Slashiepie
btw- as unrelated advice, those guys have terrible terrible technique, Matt´s technique is specially painful to watch.. so i wouldnt take hints from them regarding technique..

I don't see why when it comes to picking in that video, they're both rhythmically spot on, relaxed, economical, no crazy angles going on with any of their joints... I wouldn't personally go with Matt's tremolo picking technique but apart from that I think they're pretty damn good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Wolfmanxci
Take it right back to a slow speed, something like half the original speed (playing with a metronome) and just gradually build up, it can be frustrating but that's the path I had to take

i tried it with MOP for a couple of weeks and didnt make any progress

Quote by Slashiepie
what minute and second do you mean ?
im not near a guitar right now.. but i bet you can alternate pick everything..

in the video look at the bottom right corner and youll see intro, verse etc. while theyre playing
alternate picking this just doesnt sound the same as down-picking
and their technique seems pretty much perfect since they can play fast, they look completely relaxed, and it sounds good
Your metronome is your friend. If nothing else, just practice downstrokes on a single string. Remember to keep your playing really relaxed, and try to get rid of unneccesary motion. I'm talking starting with quarter notes at 60 bpms and just working up. Sounds tedious, but it's worth it, trust me.

Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T use guitar speed trainer. I've had a few friends use it to try to improve, and it just made their playing very sloppy.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
And maybe it's just me, but it looked like Matt's picking hand was actually very tense at full speed. The metronome is your friend, but tendinitis caused by tenseness in your hands is not.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Hey man, i know what you going throw.

What i am going to say may seem counter intuitive but this is the solution.

The problem is simple. You can play at 80% speed but, you are probably tensed and you are not 100% relaxed.

I would recommend that you go to 60% or 70% were you are 100% relaxed.

Don't overdo the riff.

For example:

If you play relaxed at 60% :

Play the riff at 60% for 5 minutes. Stop

Play the riff at 65% for 5 minutes - Stop

Play the riff at 70% for 10 minutes. Stop.

Stop practicing the riff for that day.

Do the same thing the second day using the same bpm.

The 3rd day do the same thing only that you start at 65%, then 70 then 75. STop again an repeat the process the following day.

Go so on until you reach 100%.

It will take a longer time but think on long term. Once you will tackle the song at 100% you will play any riffs effortlessly that are at that speed .

And one more thing, if you don't feel that you are 100% relaxed when playing, do the same bpm.

Remember music is not a race, or a competition, it is a process.

Hope that helps,

Paul
Quote by apajr
Hey man, i know what you going throw.

What i am going to say may seem counter intuitive but this is the solution.

The problem is simple. You can play at 80% speed but, you are probably tensed and you are not 100% relaxed.

I would recommend that you go to 60% or 70% were you are 100% relaxed.

Don't overdo the riff.

For example:

If you play relaxed at 60% :

Play the riff at 60% for 5 minutes. Stop

Play the riff at 65% for 5 minutes - Stop

Play the riff at 70% for 10 minutes. Stop.

Stop practicing the riff for that day.

Do the same thing the second day using the same bpm.

The 3rd day do the same thing only that you start at 65%, then 70 then 75. STop again an repeat the process the following day.

Go so on until you reach 100%.

It will take a longer time but think on long term. Once you will tackle the song at 100% you will play any riffs effortlessly that are at that speed .

And one more thing, if you don't feel that you are 100% relaxed when playing, do the same bpm.

Remember music is not a race, or a competition, it is a process.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Well spoken, Paul.
Keep in mind you've only been playing a year. It all takes time. Good bands for practising downpicking though would definitely be Metallica, Trivium and Parkway Drive. Parkway Drive being my favourite :P
Quote by philipk
hi
ive been playing electric guitar for about a year now and i have a problem with downpicking
a couple of months ago i started learning master of puppets by metallica, including the solo, and in the rhythm parts i cant go faster than 80% speed (on a good day, after i warmed up, maybe 85)
so i decided to let it go and return to it later
a week ago guitar world released video lessons by trivium, one of which was how to play "inception of the end"
heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTJ7s2sr6o
as you can see the first part of the intro/verse riff is down picked, but more importantly the pre-chorus riff is fast and entirely down-picked.
here i can only get to 85% and i still sometimes miss a note
is there a way to improve my down-picking speed?
while i was learning master of puppets i did try just playing it again and again but it didnt really help
thanks and sorry for the bad english

Speed comes with time. I still cannot downpick Master of Puppets all the way through - I just don't have the stamina built up to do it.

The only way to get faster is to have better technique. the way to do that is to be completely relaxed and teach your muscles how to make small, economical movements. As that becomes muscle memory, gradually increase the speed. If you find yourself tensing at all, slow back down to a comfortable speed and get used to the feeling of that relaxed picking technique. Speed and stamina will come with time if you practice this way.
Cowboys From Hell is also a fast one... very fast for down picking. For the most part I tend to stick to the 16th note syncopation, so I'll just land on an upstroke...not enough stamina for down picking meh.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't see why when it comes to picking in that video, they're both rhythmically spot on, relaxed, economical, no crazy angles going on with any of their joints... I wouldn't personally go with Matt's tremolo picking technique but apart from that I think they're pretty damn good.

forgot to mention i meant left hand technique, since there is no wrong way to pick per se.. i cant stand matts left hand though..
Last edited by Slashiepie at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
sorry forgot to mention i meant left hand technique.. but because i think there is oficially no wrong way to pick..

I think that hand's about average for both of them then really, I know Corey has better finger independence than Matt but that's pretty incidental. It's certainly not terrible, definitely not bad if you ask me based on the same principles as the picking with a little less economy. They're still relaxed and accurate.

Frankly, you couldn't play the things they do if you had properly bad technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Corey's technique is definitely really good and clean. Judging from their latest two albums, Corey's leads have gotten more technical and cleaner. Live, I haven't seen a video of him playing poorly. Judging from the instructional videos they have floating around, his picking looks really relaxed and comfortable and his finger independence is very good. He's not at the same level as monsters like Paul Gilbert, but his technique is far from bad.
yeah i guess i exaggerated.. maybe its because i have hurt my wrist in the past that it pains me to see someone flapping their fingers and bending their wrists, i also have the bad habit of staring at a guitarist pinky to see if they curve it XD.

Their picking I do not criticize at all, sure it could be tighter or "more economic" but in the end everyone will always do it with their own style and it will definetly cause each guitarrist to have his own sound. I belive not much can go wrong when picking unless one does it in a non-anatomically-possible way.. I look at the tension on monsters like rustey and batio, their wrists and arms are all stiff, :P and they have not sustained injuries from picking.. as far as i know :P

---

on topic.. this might seem like a very stupid suggestion , since you are not a beginner anymore , but have you tried angling the pick even more?

also this works for some people: have you tried pulling your fingers close to your hand ?
as in making a fist.. some people try it and get great increases in speed since they no longer have to balance the 3 fingers hanging around

ohh and i suggest everyone to try some Dava Picks, pretty sick stuff
Last edited by Slashiepie at Sep 30, 2011,