Page 1 of 2
So, I think I've outgrown using my M13's tuner. It's just not fast enough or handy enough (The fact that my M13 is in my amp's effects loop doesn't help either). So, here goes with the questions

1.Whats the best tuner I can get for $100 or less?
2. Is the Polytune accurate in the poly mode?
3. Has anyone used the Hardwire poly tuner? Is it better/worse/comparable to the Polytune?
4. Does anyone have experience with Peterson stomp tuners?

My fifth and final question is more complicated. In the sake of accuracy, complete silence when tuning, and avoiding tone suckage, which one of these would be my best choice for putting the tuner on my board (see below. Note that the two OD pedals are in front, and the M13/EB volume pedal are in the loop)

A. Tuner as first pedal in chain
B. Tuner in front of chain via A/B box
C. tuner in the Tuner output of my VB (with the JHS buffer mod)
D. other?

TLDR: What's the best pedal tuner for $100 or less, and where is the best place to put a tuner in a pedal chain?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Tuner should ALWAYS be first, or by itself via the A/B loop.
Basically NOTHING between the tuner and guitar. No circuitry anyway,
A passive A/B box would be fine.

Peterson makes some damn good tuners.
Not sure how good their pedal ones are though.

I use a Boss TU-3.
It does the job for me.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 30, 2011,
How much of a step up is the TU-3 from the TU-2? Because I've never been really impressed with the TU-2's.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
spend $29 more, and get the sonic research turbo tuner. about 10 to 20 times more accurate than any other tuner on the market at the moment (+-0.02 cents). you won't regret it. and your tuner goes first in your chain. if anything, it's good for muting your cable when you're hot-swapping guitars.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
spend $29 more, and get the sonic research turbo tuner. about 10 to 20 times more accurate than any other tuner on the market at the moment (+-0.02 cents). you won't regret it. and your tuner goes first in your chain. if anything, it's good for muting your cable when you're hot-swapping guitars.

+1
It's 5 times more accurate than the TU3
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by CodeMonk
I may have to put that on my "Gear I want/need" list.

it's the only pedal that i will only sell when i quit guitar. it's amazing. plus it's replaced my regular tuner, in that i just keep the battery in it and plug in a lead when i need to tune up. so far the battery's lasted six months of light to regular usage.
Quote by souperman08

2. Is the Polytune accurate in the poly mode?

No, I have one. It's a good tuner but I've never managed to use the poly mode for anything but it doesn't make any difference as it automatically changes mode.
Korg Pithcblack, anyone?

Simple, sturdy, and a big display.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
i have a polytune, it works wonders for me. you just have to understand the point of the polytune system is you strum to figure out which strings are out of tune and by how much. then you pluck the individual string to see exactly how flat or sharp you are and fix it. it saves me a lot of time getting tuned. oh and tuners almost always go first in the chain.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I have got the Polytune and it's amazing. Absolutely perfect. I've found nothing wrong with it. Thoroughly recommended.
Quote by NakedInTheRain

tested that. its a lie. its not .02 cents. its more like .5 cents. tested the accuracy with my peterson unit.

and the polytunes poly mode is actually accurate to 1 cent (which is better than most pedals out there)

if you want pure accuracy, peterson stomboxes work very well, but there is no poly mode.
Quote by 00_hns_00
tested that. its a lie. its not .02 cents. its more like .5 cents. tested the accuracy with my peterson unit.

...wut

how can you test the accuracy of a much more precise unit with the accuracy of a much less precise unit?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
...wut

how can you test the accuracy of a much more precise unit with the accuracy of a much less precise unit?

because, when i lined it up with my peterson strobe, the temperment for my tuning was off (very very slightly) but the turbo tuner, said it was all ah ok.

i set the intonation with a friends polytune on strobe mode (supposed to be .5 cent right?) well my peterson detected the inconsistency with the intonation, but the turbo did not.

therefore, turbo tuner is a lying sack of horse dung, albeit, its still a good tuner. they are just a bunch of liers.
im gonna recommend the TC polytune, i have a tu3, and the tuning on it is too jumpy for me, and it doesnt always pickup droptuned notes well
yeah nah. do you even know how to use the turbo tuner properly? it's purely analog driven, which means you have to take care in how you feed it signal (neck pickup, tone rolled off, gentle plucking). if you really want to call sonic research liars, i suggest re-doing that test with a tone generator and an oscilloscope.
Quote by 00_hns_00
because, when i lined it up with my peterson strobe, the temperment for my tuning was off (very very slightly) but the turbo tuner, said it was all ah ok.

i set the intonation with a friends polytune on strobe mode (supposed to be .5 cent right?) well my peterson detected the inconsistency with the intonation, but the turbo did not.

therefore, turbo tuner is a lying sack of horse dung, albeit, its still a good tuner. they are just a bunch of liers.

How do you know the Peterson is right and not the Turbo Tuner..?
Maybe there was no inconsistency, and since the Peterson is less accurate, it thought there was one.

I agree that your test isn't valid, and that a signal/scope reading would be conclusive.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah nah. do you even know how to use the turbo tuner properly? it's purely analog driven, which means you have to take care in how you feed it signal (neck pickup, tone rolled off, gentle plucking). if you really want to call sonic research liars, i suggest re-doing that test with a tone generator and an oscilloscope.

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=145

granted, i could entirely be wrong, but being that that is what i use to setup intonation at the shop with, i'm thinking this one is better. granted, there is a huge learning curve.... but still.

edit: well, i don't use it anymore, i don't work at a music store anymore. so me saying thats what i use to set up guitars was right... in the past.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 30, 2011,
i could be entirely wrong, i honestly don't know. but for me i felt like it wasn't as accurate as it claimed to be.
Make that plus 3. The turbo tuner is indeed by far the most accurate and fastest tuner in the market. Get the stompbox versions. ITs a lot more, but its worth it in the long run
Quote by 00_hns_00
http://www.accu-tuner.com/

it is a proven .005 cent.

.....This wouldn't fit on my pedalboard, and the cheapest one I can find is $1000.........

Anyways, while I do think the Turbo Tuner is better, I'm leaning towards the polytune because they go for almost what the half the turbo tuner costs (both brand new) on ebay. Also, (in this video anyways) the turbo tuner looks better, but not "twice the cost" better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGC45f9uiQU&feature=related
Can the Polytune use it's polyphonic mode outside of standard tuning, for instance if I was playing in drop C sharp would it pick up on this? Or would it tell me I was way out, as in try to pull me back up to standard?
i like the polytune i have. like someone said, i use the poly mode to see which strings are off, then tune the individual string that's off, pluck again, it'll show if any other strings are off.

only thing is the brightness of the LED. in a dark stage, perfect. outdoors, you probably can't see too clearly in poly mode.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Does the Polytune have the muting option like Boss? I am getting a tuner soon so I don't know that much on them.
Planet Waves tuner pedal, I have one its wicked, nice and bright and accurate. Hate the TU-2/3
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
well, i am eating my shorts. representative of sonic research showed me how they calibrate the turbo tuner.

so accuracy = turbo tuner
fun = polytune.
Korg Pitchblack is the best, and pretty cheap. Get one and put it first:

Guitar -> tuner -> other pedals -> amp
POLYTUNE!!!!! true bypass, quick, easy, automatically changes modes. saves so much time. thouroughly recommend!!!! Best tuner ever!!!
Honestly, the true bypass thing is what turns me off of the Polytune. My primary interest in a pedal tuner would be having a good buffer to maintain my signal through my chain.
I don't understand why true bypass is such a bad thing. I have the Polytune it's an excellent pedal and no it doesn't do drop tuning's (it does alternate tunings e flat, d, etc) ...yet they are working on a firmware update to allow for drop D. I wrote a review on the Polytune which has a pretty in-depth look at its specs and how it operates. Check it out through my profile if you need any info on it.
Page 1 of 2