Ive got an Ibanez 170grg with a 15w frontman fender amp. Needless to say the distortion is horrible. Do you know what settings i need to change on my amp, or any other tricks i need in order to "tame" my guitar sound to the sound of santana in songs like smooth and into the night?
You will not get a Santana tone out of that gear. Ever. Almost everything about it is wrong for getting his kind of sound.

Don't bother trying to get his tone until you've really upgraded everything although I guess you could try rolling off the tone on your guitar a little, that might get a little closer to that kind of smoothness...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try your gain or distortion at max and your treble/presence at max and at the same time the tone on the guitar at min and volume at full. works for me
He's got quite a high gain sound, but it's tight as hell. Concentrated, if you like. But as the first post said, you'll find it very hard to get his sound from your current gear. But, you can copy his technique and style until you can get gear to suit. He uses the Harmonic Minor scale very much. Just learn some of his songs and you'll get closer. A lot of people say tone is in the fingers, so, if you practice.
Guess its worth a try. After all, some blues legends started out on cigar box guitars and corn starch guitars...

Still, arent there any options i need to change at the treble or bass?
Quote by Standarduser
Guess its worth a try. After all, some blues legends started out on cigar box guitars and corn starch guitars...

Still, arent there any options i need to change at the treble or bass?

That's fine but you're not going to get Santana's tone out of your gear now, he uses at least $5000 worth of *really* high end stuff right now and in the past he's used similar things. You will not sound like him in terms of tone and even if you did you'd be much better focused on getting his playing inflections down anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
neck pick up only.

gain about mid way up, maybe a tad more.

bass half way, treb at 4/10, mids to taste.

and practice a lot.

a great guitar to look into for a santana tone is a yamaha SBG500 or SG800. (not the bolt on version)

as far as amps go, a tweaker can hit the tones pretty well.

a decent compressor helps too if you can snag one. i've had really good luck with the cheap visual sounds comp 66.

good luck brother!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
neck pick up only.

gain about mid way up, maybe a tad more.

bass half way, treb at 4/10, mids to taste.

and practice a lot.

^ this sounds about right to me. And Santana's tone is very smooth (no pun intended) so you might want to roll back your volume on the guitar until you find that sweet spot. Your guitar volume on 10 might be too harsh to get his tone no matter how you set your amp...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Santana runs a fairly basic EQ on a high gain tube amp. If you had a more suitable amp, stick everything about halfway then boost the mids and bass very slightly. But you've got a low/mid-gain solid state amp so you'll want to boost the mids a lot more and roll the treble back some more too.

His guitars are all super warm-toned and yours is about as bright-toned as guitars get. You're going to want to only use the neck pickup and keep the tone control rolled back.

Don't expect to really nail his tone with your rig. You can't get the tone of a triple rectifier and a mahogany and rosewood 24.5" scale PRS with a 25.5" ibanez and a solid state amp.