Page 1 of 3
Hey!

So I'm currently playing in this band called "Deathmachine Called Teddybear", we play melodic death metal & metalcore and we recently had a war inside the band about the name. Me and 2 others think the name could be better and people wont take us seriously etc. but the other side thinks that this is going to separate us from others and its funny etc. which I think is bollocks.

I think we should come up with something more sensible. We can't really change it atm as there's 6 of us and its 3 vs. 3...

What thoughts does this name create in you? Good/bad?
Debate!
Last edited by fc89konkari at Sep 30, 2011,
i think you should get your set list nailed and then start worring about your name...unless you have then i think the name 'Deathmachine Called Teddybear' sucks
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I like it as a band name.

I don't think it will seperate you from "the others" for the simple fact that everyone tries to do that today.. well not everyone, but a lot of people do.

And I dont think it will make people not take you seriously, When people first here it they will laugh a bit to themselves, but then after a while it is just the bands name...

Call yourselves Metallica.
That is a really stupid name, for a melodeath band. Unless you play "melodeath" in the way that metalcore bands play "melodeath". Then its a fine name. They all seem to have stupid names.
Quote by fc89konkari
Hey!

So I'm currently playing in this band called "Deathmachine Called Teddybear", we play melodic death metal and we just had a war inside the band about the name. Me and 2 others think the name sucks and nobody will take us seriously etc. but the other side thinks that this is going to separate us from others etc. which I think is bollocks.

I think we should come up with something more sensible. We can't really change it atm as there's 6 of us and its 3 vs. 3...

What thoughts does this name create in you? Good/bad?
Debate!

That's so ridiculous! It reminds of of names like "iwrestledabearonce" and "The Devil Wears Prada".

Seriously, what's in a name? The only thing that separates some bands from others is their music. (totally my opinion)
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

That's so ridiculous! It reminds of of names like "iwrestledabearonce" and "The Devil Wears Prada".

Seriously, what's in a name? The only thing that separates some bands from others is their music. (totally my opinion)

Why is The Devil Wears Prada a ridiculous name?
that sounds like a horrid band name, i don't think i can take it seriously

Originally Posted by UnmagicMushroom
That's so ridiculous! It reminds of of names like "The Devil Wears Prada".

why is the devil wears prada ridiculous?
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Why is The Devil Wears Prada a ridiculous name?

well...it kinda is kinda isn't - it just makes me think of things like...i dunno...this:

but they make awesome music so who cares?
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Sep 30, 2011,
I like it, a lot. People who think it suck are most likely tipicaly closed minded metalheads. And I do think it seperates you since most death metal bands have really grim or "scary", but predictable names.

Forsaken blackness
Doomed death
Deathmachine Called Teddybear
Cursed oblivion
Black nightmares

...which one stands out?
Quote by rockstar2be
I like it, a lot. People who think it suck are most likely tipicaly closed minded metalheads. And I do think it seperates you since most death metal bands have really grim or "scary", but predictable names.

Forsaken blackness
Doomed death
Deathmachine Called Teddybear
Cursed oblivion
Black nightmares

...which one stands out?

Yeah it stands out... because its super gay
I guess I should elaborate on my opinion, so as to not sound close minded. The reason I think the name sucks is because you are playing metal. Although I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't take metal seriously, metal fans sure as hell do. If I was looking around online for new music and I came across a band with this name I would probably skip right over it, assuming its just another "core" band. Call it closed minded if you will but if you're playing death metal I have a feeling a lot of people in that fan base will feel the same way about the name. You don't necessarily need to change to a "grim" name like those listed above, just something that won't be taken as a joke.
Quote by rockstar2be
Closed minded metalhead >just saying>

You make it seem like names are completely irrelevant while that's not the case. Names can be used for labeling stuff. Whether it's bands or chocolate chip cookies it doesn't matter. You wouldn't buy a box of cookies that has the text "Made from genuine donkey poop" in its label. In a similar way, the name of a band can give a hint of what their music is like. I expect "Deathmachine Called Teddybear" to either be a parody band or some kind of avant-garde metal band. When it turns out that they actually play melodic death metal, that makes me just feel betrayed, and confused because in my opinion a band named like that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

Obviously it has no bearing in their music or anything, but my overall impression of them changes. It definitely stands out. I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative thing. Catching attention is a good thing but perhaps there are better ways of getting it, like actually making good music.

Disliking a band name is not being close minded. Obviously a band name doesn't have to scream "METHUL!!!", but just because it doesn't, it doesn't mean it's good either.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
You wouldn't buy a box of cookies that has the text "Made from genuine donkey poop" in its label.

lmao! I think this is sig worthy...
Yeah, names should generally fit the genre. It helps listeners get a loose estimate of your sound- and whether or not they'll like you- without having to listen to you. Imagine my surprise when I found out The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza played tech-death.
I once went to see a band named "The Hopping Penguins" just because of the name. I also really like the name "Peppersprayed by Hookers".

Then again, isn't there a band name thread stickied?
Yes. This thread will be locked. But before we go, I'd like to say that you better be a goddamn metalcore/deathcore band or your name is just gonna confuse people. And it isn't just "close[d]-minded metalheads" saying that, so don't even come back with that lame-ass response.

The name sounds immature, which is fine because you're a bunch of kids, right? Don't take yourselves too seriously, the odds of this band taking off (or any band, really) are pretty low.
Doesn't the name sound a lot like "Death Cab for Cutie"? Obviously some inspiration came from there.

Other than that, in my experience bands who fight over names have little to no actual music. So do you have any music?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
first of all. can you play the guitar?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
I've played guitar for 5 years and just joined this band roughly a couple weeks ago. This band has been together since last spring. We have 5 originals done + a few under work.

I really don't want to ahead of myself, but I was just wondering, what does a band like this with a name like that look like from a record label's point of view?
Uhh, well you have five originals and you're fifteen years old... I wouldn't worry about it. But really, this band probably won't even exist when labels would be serious about hiring you. These things take more time and effort (and usually, ability) than a kid in high school can provide.
why are you guys insulting him? Having a ****ing name isn't getting ahead of yourself. Every time you post online from a band page, every time you write or release a new song, every time you play a show, it's another attempt to get yourselves known. Why waste that effort by not having a name?

It's like having a child and deciding "Well, I don't need to name him yet. It'll be a few years until he has any friends."

EDIT: Okay, only a few are actually insulting his desire to have a name. A few more are saying that it doesn't matter what the name is because more or less he's never gonna make it. Encourage art, don't beat it down. I swear people are just trying to weed out the competition.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Oct 1, 2011,
If I owned a record label and I got a demo from a band called "Deathmachine Called Teddybear", it would immediately go straight into the trash can without getting listened to.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I swear people are just trying to weed out the competition.

Yeah, because some kid on a forum with a crappy bandname is really the kind of competition everybody has to worry about.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Yeah, because some kid on a forum with a crappy bandname is really the kind of competition everybody has to worry about.

Sarcasm, bro. I'm not implying that he's any kind of competition. I'm saying that people are acting that way.
Quote by Cowless
Uhh, well you have five originals and you're fifteen years old... I wouldn't worry about it. But really, this band probably won't even exist when labels would be serious about hiring you. These things take more time and effort (and usually, ability) than a kid in high school can provide.

Yes, yes... I don't want to sound like a smartass, but I'm the youngest in the group. 2 of us are 15. The rest are 16, 17 and 18. I sure know that were not gonna get signed nearly no matter what inside the next 2 years, like most bands anyway, right? (yes, it might be so that we wont exist then).

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
It's like having a child and deciding "Well, I don't need to name him yet. It'll be a few years until he has any friends."

Exellent point.

Quote by Sleaze Disease

I see where you're coming from, but please stop being a dick

Today at practise we spoke about it and we all agreed (finally) to change the name. Currently we're thinking about "Burial of the Broken". It's not our name yet. We'll be deciding on it next week, incase someone gets a better idea.

What kind of thoughts does that awake in you?
Last edited by fc89konkari at Oct 1, 2011,
Here's a more important point than whether or not I - or any other specific individual on this board - likes the name.

If you want to change the name, don't ask the band to change it in a void.

Instead, come up with a better name first and then tell the guys, "Hey, what about this, isn't it better?" If they agree, problem solved. If not, keep coming up with better names until they agree that one is better.

The right to say "I don't like that, we should change it" comes with the responsibility to say, "And here's something better!" This is true if you're talking about your music, and it should be true if you're talking about your name as well.

It's incredibly frustrating to try to collaborate with someone who doesn't understand this principle. Don't be that guy.
Metal (and it derivatives) is not a sensible genre, and to pretend it is would make you look foolish. Embrace the ridiculousness of the music.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Sleaze Disease
If I owned a record label and I got a demo from a band called "Deathmachine Called Teddybear", it would immediately go straight into the trash can without getting listened to.

hahaha same!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a fan of one or two word names. Any more than that is pushing it.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
How did you manage to mix up the names in your quotes? Haha.

Epic skill. Fixed..
Hey, I'm not saying he shouldn't change the name, guy halfway up the page, nor am I telling him to give up his dreams of getting signed (although not entirely worthwhile these days). Calm the **** down.

Anyway, I still say change it. But don't worry about getting signed just yet. 18 is still a bit young - I assume parents pressure kids to go to college where you live, yes? Half of the group could leave within a year, and then where would you be? Would the band (and the name) go on without them? It's all good to consider. Keep playing and dreaming, because your dreams might just come true.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
why are you guys insulting him? Having a ****ing name isn't getting ahead of yourself. Every time you post online from a band page, every time you write or release a new song, every time you play a show, it's another attempt to get yourselves known. Why waste that effort by not having a name?

EDIT: Okay, only a few are actually insulting his desire to have a name. A few more are saying that it doesn't matter what the name is because more or less he's never gonna make it. Encourage art, don't beat it down. I swear people are just trying to weed out the competition.

Having a name isn't that important in the long term of the band. A lot of bands have been signed with silly names - "Foo Fighters" anyone?

If I was a record company though, I'd be concerned about the similarities to "Deathcab for cutie", as they are incredibly popular. "Deathmachine called teddybear" sounds like a metal tribute album to "Deathcab for cutie".

The other part is that if the band can't agree on a name, and discuss it through, they probably aren't going to handle other problems/disagreements well either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hey, I think Foo Fighters is a great name! Then again, I love everything Dave Grohl does, but I don't think that has much to do with it.
I know that was just an example, but the Foo's pretty much obviously got signed as Dave was forming it after being in the other *obvious* band
Page 1 of 3