Hi UGers,
I'm currently in the market for a nice shiny tremolo pedal, and wanted some advice on whats decent out there?
I currently own a Gretsch G5122 going into a Laney LX120 twin amp. As far as pedals go i have a (crappy) Behringer Wah, a Digitech Whammy, Boss overdrive/distortion, Big Muff and a Boss Flanger pedal.
My limit is £50 but if its a bit cheaper that would be swell (£30), i mostly play alt rock stuff like Qotsa but i will be using this pedal for university performances, so i am wanting something that has that 'Marc Ribot' sound. Think 'los cubanos postizos'. So yeah a bit jazzy, latin-y..
My closest city is Hull, UK, but i will probably order online anyway.

also i like my pedals to have quite a bit of versatility in them, so maybe one that i can change a lot of settings on?

thanks guys!
Try to find a used Hardwire Tremolo pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Forget Behringer (not because of snobbery, they're made of plastic and you stamp on them - it's not rocket science!).

For less than £50, you're not in the boutique market so I just recommend buying used from Ebay. Choose a known brand that is going for a good price. Until you're buying something special, ignore the advice (now there's irony!) about what is best. You're only going to get told to save up £200 for the ultimate tremolo!!
I bought the Marshall Vibratrem off ebay for £35, think they're only £45 new anyway, and it sounds really nice. It does all I want it to do and more. Here's a good youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzL0K07vWos

PS If you do get one, paint the knobs cos they're all shiney for some reason which makes it virtually impossible to see where the markers are during a gig. I'd still give it 11/10 though!
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Does it really have to be shiny? I don't really know of any shiny tremolo pedals.
wow thanks for the responses!
@Dilberto - im not even considering behringer... eurgh.
@WtrPlyr - no it does not have to be shiny
@Ichabod Crane - wow, you sir are very helpful indeed! The Marshall Vibratrem is now in my seriously consider list!
Quote by Nemesis117
wow thanks for the responses!
@Dilberto - im not even considering behringer... eurgh.
@WtrPlyr - no it does not have to be shiny
@Ichabod Crane - wow, you sir are very helpful indeed! The Marshall Vibratrem is now in my seriously consider list!

You're welcome. Glad to be of help
Quote by NakedInTheRain
for that budget you're not going to get anything special. i'd check out the joyo tremolo.

that's what i'd think. They have it on thomann, rebranded as harley benton, for like 29 euro (though if that's all you're buying there's a 10 euro postage charge too ).

I haven't tried it, but i got their phaser in the last few days- and I'm very impressed for the money. It sounds like a proper, good-sounding pedal, and feels pretty sturdy too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The TR-2 and Cool Cat Trem are probably the best cheap options
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
That's a lot of money for a pretty simple effect with very few options
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Cool Cat Trem - true bypass switching and a plethora of useable sounds. Nice sturdy metal case as well, unlike the cheaper plastic Danelectro pedals. The only thing I don't like about mine is that the knobs are positioned on the top-back of the pedal (where the power jack goes in), I like to occasionally adjust things on the fly.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Zoot Allures
My other guitarist in the band has a boss tremelo, has good controls and sounds fine. I'd buy one if i wanted one.

Has he not experienced the volume drop that commonly occurs when engaging the boss tremolo pedal?
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Has he not experienced the volume drop that commonly occurs when engaging the boss tremolo pedal?

Not that i know of, i'll check next practice but it seems okay.

Wouldn't that be something more of a percieved volume drop since a tremelo is a volume based effect so you aren't getting a full signal?
yeah but it's still, in effect, a volume drop.

fwiw i think the newer ones might not have the volume drop (don't quote me on that, though), but that's a problem if you're looking second-hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jukejointjohnny
This has been fixed
Board: