I'm a bassist/clean vocalist in a metalcore band. I've done a fair bit of musical theory and so can reel off music without too much effort but the second I have to write lyrics I can't do anything. I've tried listening to other music, going outside and letting my mind wander, reading, etc. but even if I get an idea into my head I cant get it down on paper. On the rare occasion that I do get an idea down, I don't know what to do with it, everything I come up with sounds like crap and I just cant expand on it to form a song. Are there any other tricks to beating writers block?
writer's block is a MADDD!!! bitch. when i first started to get into music 6 years ago, writing lyrics was the hardest thing ever. but now i can write a book a day of lyrics. its a matter of imagination and awesomeness in your head
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
I find writing with another band member helps me get ideas down. I also seem to be most creative if I take a step back from thinking about getting stuff down - sooner or later an idea just naturally forms and I take it from there. Hope that helps
Clean vocalist in a metalcore band? o_o Check out some A7x songs, that will help. My favourite metalcore band.
When I get stuck I start drawing(even if itsjust stick figures) and eventually I get more ideas