I've finally gotten a passion project of mine off the ground.
And it requires that I write a lot of piano music. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, I mean.. The tricky bit is that I'm trying to think of stuff that can sound good in verses under vocals and such.

Any advice is much appreciated
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Do YOU play piano or have an understanding of the instrument? If you don't then bounce your ideas off a pianist because some piano stuff that I've composed out of my head in the past was quite...all over the place.

(Needless to say that I'm a bit of a piano ignoramus.)

That's all I got. Happy composing.
Yeah, I play. Mostly just improvising and stuff. In theory that helps for this, but I'm trying to create something... It's hard to explain... I don't want everything I write to sound the same.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Really? If you say so... Start with a slap bassline, and then... Oh. Piano music.
Okay: Yeah, study piano music that's been written already. Remember, you have two parts to work with: left and right hand. They can play chords and melody at once (with either hand playing the melody), or harmonize or play independent melodies, or just play extended chords or arpeggios. The piano is a really versatile instrument, in some ways more so than a guitar.
Like any type of music, it really depends on what you want each piece to sound like, but listening to existing music for inspiration always helps, with anything.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 30, 2011,
Well what I'm writing is musical theater stuff.
But musically somewhat minimalist, mostly just piano, as opposed to the grand orchestras of Wicked or The Phantom of the Opera.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
"Mostly just piano", "just piano" even, was what I was talking about. You can really do a lot with just one piano and one pianist. (I'd make a terrible "pianist" pun, but I used up my terrible-piano-pun quota for this thread with my last post.)
So anyway, one thing I'd suggest trying, is using the sustain pedal a lot, and just laying down chords every few seconds with the left hand, and adding sparse notes and bits of melody over the top with the right. That's just one thing you can do, but really, I need examples. Find some pieces that sound like what you want, and try to figure out how they work. Like, maybe "Anthem" by Kamelot. I know you know that one, since it's on the album in your avatar. Kudos for using the awesome re-release artwork, btw.
Or maybe you're looking for something more along the lines of the intro to this song. In any case, look for songs that sound like what you have in mind and see what they do.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 30, 2011,