i'm going to buy a p rail as soon as i know what i need to get ALL the tones from it.
so far all i know i need is a triple shot. i'm going to buy 2 even though i'm only putting one p rail in the neck of my ibanez rg. the other triple shot will go on my dimarzio evo2... but i'm not sure if thats possible but i bet it is. if you could shed light on that to that would help. would i need a coil tap so i can go from humbucker to single? cause the the triple shot says that it can only coil split and series/parallel.
Please help i googled it couldn't find it
A coil tap just reduces the number of windings the signal flows through, reducing the pickup's output. Coil splitting is what you'd use with the P-rails to select ("split") each of the coils in the humbucker individually to access the P-90 and rail (single coil) sounds. Coil tapping is confused with splitting all the time, but is actually quite rare. Most people do not find it particularly useful.

The triple shot is exactly what you need. You can turn each coil on and off, and then series/parallel for both coils, so your options are:
Single coil alone
P-90 alone
Both (humbucker) series
Both parallel

As for your Evo2, if it's got a 4-conductor wiring system, you can do the same thing with the triple shot, though the individual coils will sound much more similar than the P-90/single coil on the P-rails. If it's a 2-conductor pickup you can't do it.
Coil split is the correct term, and the Triple Shot is what you want for the easiest installation. Otherwise you need push-pull pots or install a switch.

Most people use the term coil tap and split interchangeably. But some people will claim a distinction that tapping is something different, but I know of no pups that support it. So from my standpoint they are the same in normal discussion.
oh that great the evo2 is a 4 conductor
so your saying with just the triple shot i can get all those listed above?
without coil "Split"?
It is coil split.

Both coils = Humbucker, either series or parallel.
Coil split = individual coils, so north = single rail and south = P-90.

Here are the four settings you can have with a P-rails and a triple shot.
Humbucker series
Humbucker parallel
P-90
Single coil

The last two are due to a coil split, since they're both single-coil pickups that when combined make a humbucker. Make sense?

Quote by fly135
Most people use the term coil tap and split interchangeably. But some people will claim a distinction that tapping is something different, but I know of no pups that support it. So from my standpoint they are the same in normal discussion.

Disagree - it's a different term, and is very specific, so it's extremely confusing to use it improperly, even if using it properly is rare. Coil tapping is something that was often added to aftermarket pickups in the 80s to give hot pickups a cooler option. It's less popular now. If you walk into a tech's shop and ask to get a coil tap added, they're going to assume you know what you mean, and you're going to be disappointed if what you really needed was a coil split.
The Triple Shot is a switch. It does the same thing as a Push-Pull pot or a separate switch. It is just an easy installation.
It does, but do you have 3 selections on one of the triple shots? or is it when ever you touch the series paralell switch they go to humbucker?
OK, here's how this works. The triple shot has two switches that can either be "left" or "right".
Here's how it works: I'll call the left switch A and the right one B to avoid confusion.

A Right, B Left: Series bucker
A left, B right: parallel humbucker
A right, B right: single coil
A left, B left: P-90.

That's the standard wiring, at least. You can reverse the green and white wires so that the single coil and P-90 are switched, which makes a bit more sense to me since you're pointing the switches towards the coils you're selecting.
ENLIGHTENMENT! thanks Roc8995 you "Roc". i wonder how crappy the p rail will sound with my stock single coil... heard it doesn't mix very well with other pickups unless its p rail
Mixed fine with the humbucker I had in my SG, I had a P-rails in the neck and a 498T in the bridge. I think the problem with the rails pickup, and the P-rails in general, is that both coils are quite hot, so they won't mix well with more usual output pickups of the same type. I don't think it's the pickup sound, it's the output. If you have individual volume controls for each pickup it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad we figured the wiring/switching out. The triple shot is a bit baffling at first, but luckily I've had it and the P-rails at one point or another.
The P-rails is 12.87K, which means in the neck it may overpower the Evo. Usually you want something a few Kohms lower in the neck. However, if you're using the P-90 or the rails they should mix just right with the bridge. You can always lower the P-rails a bit to keep the output down.
If you don't want parallel humbucking you can do it with a single dpdt switch (actually an SPDT will do) with a centre off position. Wire up the pup like normal series connection. The two wires that are connected together go to the centre pin and the two single wires to the outside pins. Now centre will be series humbucking and the two other positions will short out one coil leaving the other coil running by itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Good suggestion. That's how I had my P-rails set up. I used the triple shot on a different pickup since my SG didn't have pickup rings. The triple shot at least means you don't need to drill into your guitar.
If you wire the p-rail as I suggested the two outside pins of the dpdt/spdt switch go to your normal pickup selector (one side hot, the other gnd). The dpdt/spdt will determine if you are sending a series humbucker, p90 or sc to the pickup selector.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification