Hey everyone!

I play in a funk/ska/rock band, and I currently play a Musicman Stingray and I absolutely love it! However, I've been saving up money (I believe I have around $1,000 now) and am looking at a new electric for a wider variety of sounds.

An example of our style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iv70hJc9cQ

So, I'm curious, what does the UG Bass Forum have to say about my next bass? I was thinking Fender Jazz / Precision but they are already so similar to the Stingray it seems like a waste.
I'd suggest a G&L L2000 (or L2500 if you want a 5-er).

It's got the bucker in the bridge, and nails the MM Ray tone... but it has another bucker... is active AND passive... so it's essentially like your Ray, but capable of nailing many many more tones.

With your kinda scratch, you might be in the relms of a US G&L... that might be a bit too low to get a new one, but if you CAN swing it, there are a ton of finish and neck options for it.

You can never go wrong with a Jazz though... and $1000 will get you a wonderful Geddy Lee sig Jazz, which, IMHO, is better than any other Fender Jazz in the same price range.

The newly re-introduced Fender Jaguar bass is also available, and at least DID use the same pickups as the Geddy, but has the Jaguar aesthetic, and is both passive and active.

Then there's the good old Spector and Warwick stuff, which are popular in the Ska side of things... i'd TOTALLY Rock a good Spector NS-2 for that style.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I agree with Din, G&L make some great unique basses.

I would also check out the Lakland Skyline line, I think you'll find something different than your Stingray and Fender sounds.

The 44-02 has a J pickup at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge, and has an active/passive switch, so you can get all different kinds of tones from it.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Wow! Thanks guys! This is awesome.

I'm liking the Lakland's so far, but I'd definitely have to play one before I make any comparisons. Also potentially interested in the Fender Jaguar. Also, does anyone know anything about Carvin basses? My uncle knows the owner of the Carvin shop in a town nearby, and he wants to run me through there and try everything out.

Is there any chance of a Lakland being in a Guitar Center? Or how would I go about playing one?
Carvins make some GREAT, and underrated basses!

The Carvin SB4000 is another one of my dream basses. When you order one, you essentially get an "affordable" custom shop bass. You can get all active, all passive, active and passive, fretted, fretless, rosewood neck, maple neck... etc etc etc.

A new one is over that $1000 mark... but used ones can be found wel within your range.

Laklands would only be at a GC if they were used. Same goes for G&L at that.

Usually basses like these, you'd have to go to either a store that specializes in basses, or get lucky with a Mom and Pop kinda music store that happens to be a distributor. On any of those sites.... Lakland, G&L, Sadowsky, Carvin... you can look up authorized dealers in your relative area.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Hmmm, okay then. I will set up going to the Carvin shop, and look for a Lakland factory around. Thanks so much!
Quote by Din of Win
I'd suggest a G&L L2000 (or L2500 if you want a 5-er).

This was what I was gonna suggest. So +1.
I'd wait until something amazing comes along and bites you in the butt if you don't know what else you want.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I was thinking Fender Jazz / Precision but they are already so similar to the Stingray it seems like a waste.

What?

I own a Musicman Stingray and a Fender Jazz and 90% of the time I feel that any other bass would be surplus to requirements because they compliment eachother so well. They're far from being "so similar".
Well, more so that a P bass is a lot like a Stingray. Or am I wrong? Please correct me, if so.
^ i guess it depend on your EQing it's beefy and bucks hum, but it's in the bridge position? and yet it's active as well
Quote by fabiojuanton
Well, more so that a P bass is a lot like a Stingray. Or am I wrong? Please correct me, if so.

Honestly, very wrong. The distinctive active EQ and the humbucker in the bridge pickup on the Stingray make it quite suitable for standing out in a mix, Precision basses are more catered towards sitting in a mix. Obviously that's a sweeping generalisation, but they're two entirely different beasts.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Honestly, very wrong. The distinctive active EQ and the humbucker in the bridge pickup on the Stingray make it quite suitable for standing out in a mix, Precision basses are more catered towards sitting in a mix. Obviously that's a sweeping generalisation, but they're two entirely different beasts.

Okay, well thank you. I may have to consider a P bass, can't really go wrong with those. However, my playstyle is one that needs to stand out in a mix. I have used a P bass for a few recordings, though.
Geezer butler stands out with a P bass so do countless others including myself, the stingray may have an active EQ which makes it stand out as a sting ray, but you usually between your bass and speaker there's at least 2-4 EQ checkpoints to make sure it's the tone unique to you.
If standing out is your thing I would definitely suggest thst s Jazz may be more down your street than a Precision, but that's not to say that either (or any other bass) is a wrong choice,