Does anyone think this is a good idea for my n.j. Series warlock guitar? I heard how these sounded through this video when deciding on which pickup to get

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCIQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBoSvdirNK2o&ei=femFToHbEqKlsALynvyhDw&usg=AFQjCNHWkGLw7ieqm4gsjc-7P966jQp15g

And though the emg's had a very good sound for cleans, and the duncans had good gain (and the jumper switch). however I hear that te guitar wood impacts duncans more than emg's (nj is made of NOTA from what I'm told) so I was wondering if you guys thought his might be a good or bad combo an if this vid accurately represents their sound.

Edit: main music type = thrash metal, but I want to e able to have some melodic versatility as well.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Sep 30, 2011,
The 81 isn't a very good neck pickup IMO, then again I had them in my LP.

An 85 or a 61 would be a better option, since they are the standard options for the neck.

I don't know anything about the blackouts or other sd's.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by Sputnik1
The 81 isn't a very good neck pickup IMO, then again I had them in my LP.

An 85 or a 61 would be a better option, since they are the standard options for the neck.

I don't know anything about the blackouts or other sd's.

Sounded pretty clear in the video i linked, but I don't know if that's a accurate representation of the pickups sound. I'm not really looking for a 100% clear tone either.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Sounded pretty clear in the video i linked, but I don't know if that's a accurate representation of the pickups sound. I'm not really looking for a 100% clear tone either.

An 81 would work but it is used predominantly as a bridge pickup. Just look at all of the EMG sets online. 85 neck + 81 bridge, 61 neck + 81 bridge.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I would use actives through any of those amps.

I'm thinking of getting a better amp when I can afford it in the future, right now I want to get this out of the way before I start testing out amps with it (if local shops let me bring in my guitar to test out amps, they probably would)
It's almost always a better idea to get an amp before pickups. I know very well that pickups are very tempting because they're so relatively cheap, but trust me, from experience, get the amp first.

Your amp is the core and basis for your entire tone. Pickups are like the fine tuning. They're usually the last thing you want to upgrade.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X