Page 1 of 2
Depends on which model it is. What did you have in mind?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
the 1000's are nice guitars.

VERY similar to ESP's. Too similar to justify the huge price difference imo.

I'd get a great-playing 1000 and save up the extra cash for whatever else.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Some people have different opinions, but if the guitar sounds good, plays nicely and looks appealing I.E it gets the job done, that's all i need.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Some people have different opinions, but if the guitar sounds good, plays nicely and looks appealing I.E it gets the job done, that's all i need.

Couldn't write it better! Is exactly the same I look for, something that feels right, sounds, performs and looks like you like, no more, nor less.

BTW, those necks on the M, MH and H looks like silky thin... Yummie!
Yeah, but super thin necks have their drawbacks. Especially for me as i have Paul Gilbert's hands, having a thin neck makes vibrato less comfortable for me.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ESP uses superior tonewoods. Apart from that, the price hike is due to the superior craftsmanship, attention to detail, and general QC that you get in an MIJ plant, as opposed to an MIK plant. You really have to hold them in your hands to appreciate the differences between LTD and ESP. They may look the same on paper, but I assure you that they are not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Not a wole lot better. The main differences according to ESP is that the woods undergo a drying process. The extra time it takes for the wood to dry out is the reason why they're double the price.

QC isn't really a legitimate arguement because every guitar is a bit different from one another. Just as long as the guitar plays great (IE a good fret job), then there's no problem.

All guitars regardless of price range will sound slightly different if you have 2 of the same model because of inconsistancies in the wood.

And since you seem to know exactly what you're talking about, how MUCH superior is the craftsmanship anyway? Unless it's just the placebo effect of owning an expensive guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
ESP uses superior tonewoods. Apart from that, the price hike is due to the superior craftsmanship, attention to detail, and general QC that you get in an MIJ plant, as opposed to an MIK plant. You really have to hold them in your hands to appreciate the differences between LTD and ESP. They may look the same on paper, but I assure you that they are not.

This. From personal experience with plenty of Korean and Japanese guitars(not so much the Japanese imports though), the Japanese is superior.

LTD is ESPs budget line. They will obviously not be as good as the real deal.
Quote by W4RP1G
This. From personal experience with plenty of Korean and Japanese guitars(not so much the Japanese imports though), the Japanese is superior.

Of course. The old chestnut. 'The REAL deal'
Let yourself suck ESP's marketing dick why don't you?

It's all in the fingers, brah.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I don't believe I've ever read or heard 2 words from ESP or their marketing campaign. Good job bringing maturity to the forums. I was just thinking "Boy we sure could use another immature, name-calling, know-it-all punk who believes their Korean LTD/Schecter/Agile is as good as the higher-end guitars"

Go play some better guitars and come back with some experience before you make your claims.
Quote by W4RP1G
Good job bringing maturity to the forums.

Quote by W4RP1G

If you're a good guitar player and you love playing guitar, what does it matter?

Quote by W4RPIG
I was just thinking "Boy we sure could use another immature, name-calling, know-it-all punk who believes their Korean LTD/Schecter/Agile is as good as the higher-end guitars"

Go play some better guitars and come back with some experience before you make your claims

Perhaps it's because i can make any guitar sound good no matter how shit it is.

I have played many expensive guitars from Gibson, Jackson and PRS. They're nice guitars for sure, but i'd rather be a better player. Having an expensive guitar isn't always possible.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The difference between LTD and ESP is very similar to the difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson to put it in the most simplistic form.

This is not knocking the LTD line. They are very good guitars. 400 series and up ara a players axe. I've owned 5. That said, the craftmanship, tone, feel, hardware, wiring, bridge, parts, etc are all better on the ESP. Once again, not knocking LTD 1000 series.

ESP's price is no different than some Gibson Studio models. It all comes down on personal tastes. If the LTD feels right, sounds good and you dig it's finish, get it.

Listen with your ears, not with your eyes man.
Quote by mwalluk

Listen with your ears, not with your eyes man.

The correct answer. Mabye in 20 years time when i'm touring in a band, i might make a major investment. But not now.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If you're a good guitar player and you love playing guitar, what does it matter?

Perhaprs it's because i can make any guitar sound good.

I'm a good guitar player, but also a guitar aficionado. I'm not saying LTDs are junk, that ESP exhibits better materials and Craftsmanship. The price accurately reflects the quality.

Personally, given the option, I'd go with Ibanez. They are comparable to ESP, have many more options available, and the modern Prestige can be had used in mint condition for $600 on eBay, usually with Dimarzios.

I know that's off-topic, but just a suggestion for anyone looking into ESP but not wanting to spend the cash.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Tone isn't all in the fingers.

Take a look at Yngwie. He can flat out play, but I don't like his tone.

Then again, tone becomes subjective. Tonewise, what you dig, someone else doesn't. Have in terms of build and craftmanship, it isn't subjective.
Truthfully, it all depends on your budget.

What amp are you running? What's your situation like ala bedroom jammer, in a band, gigging?

What do you have? What do you need?

For example, if your rocking a practice amp, I suggest getting a used 1000 series for around $500 and using the rest of the funds getting a nice tube amp.
I know i sound like a dick but i appreciate everyone's opinions. It irritates me to no end when everyone belives in the chestnut 'you get what you pay for.'
Sometimes, it really doesn't matter how expensive your guitar is. Just as long as you love the sound and feel, there's no problem. In this day and age, you can get decent guitars for £300. Take the Chapman ML1 for example. I'm growing more skeptical of the claim 'you get what you pay for.'

Quote by mwalluk
Tone isn't all in the fingers.

Take a look at Yngwie. He can flat out play, but I don't like his tone.

Then don't listen to him. Totally subjective.

Back on-topic

Quote by mwalluk
Truthfully, it all depends on your budget.

What amp are you running? What's your situation like ala bedroom jammer, in a band, gigging?

What do you have? What do you need?

For example, if your rocking a practice amp, I suggest getting a used 1000 series for around $500 and using the rest of the funds getting a nice tube amp.

Good idea. Going second hand has its risks though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Offworld92

+1

EDIT: i agree that dearer isn't always better, but in some cases it is. This is probably one of them.

Now, whether or not it's worth it to you personally, is a different question. But the esp is designed and built to be "better".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

EDIT: i agree that dearer isn't always better, but in some cases it is. This is probably one of them.

Now, whether or not it's worth it to you personally, is a different question. But the esp is designed and built to be "better".

I agree with you, man. But it doesn't mean much if you cannot get every last scrap of tone out of your guitar. Unless you've been playing practically all your life, the differences won't be too pronounced. Which is why it's all in the fingers.

In the situation that TS has, i'm assuming he hasn't been playing for dozens and dozens of years, so the little nuounces each guitar has won't matter much to him.
So for his purposes, the LTD's fine

I think there's just been a bit of a misunderstanding on the thread. No harm done i hope.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i dunno... i mean you don't have to be malmsteen to notice when a guitar's "better", if you ask me. Whether or not it's sufficiently better to be worth it is another thing, but I can normally tell the "better" guitars from the "worse" ones, and it's normally pretty noticeable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Again, i agree. But it depends on how 'good' the guitar is compared to the alternative and weather it's worth investing in the extra money for a better guitar to play on.

I hope i havn't upset anyone by my little rant. I apologise for the misunderstanding.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't believe the get what you pay for thing is always true. But I do think it's true when you factor in different countries. I believe you get what you pay for with Korean vs Japanese.
They don't compare really. ESPs are made of better wood, built better, finished off better. However, the LTDs often has slightly different specs which may make them more suitable for some people. For example most LTDs are set necks which have a warmer and darker tone than the neck-through ESPs. So while the ESP will be a better built guitar, if you want a really dark tone then the LTD will serve you better.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
In the situation that TS has, i'm assuming he hasn't been playing for dozens and dozens of years, so the little nuounces each guitar has won't matter much to him.
So for his purposes, the LTD's fine

I think there's just been a bit of a misunderstanding on the thread. No harm done i hope.

Actually one dozen of years xD.
But I do think I'll do fine with the LTD , I just bought a Royal Atlantic amp (not here yet though) so I'm confident a guitar of this range will sound really great (Damn, I have a Viper-500 and it sounds really good to me), plus my first concern is how comfortable the neck is for my playing.
Keep in mind, the OP's amp will determine those little nuances.

A good guitar into a crap amp = will sound crappy (but play fine)
an ok guitar in a good amp = will sound ...... good
Quote by mwalluk
Keep in mind, the OP's amp will determine those little nuances.

A good guitar into a crap amp = will sound crappy (but play fine)
an ok guitar in a good amp = will sound ...... good

I do think LTD are good guitars, not just ok. But yeah, the amp is very important to get a good sound (and a good playing of course).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Again, i agree. But it depends on how 'good' the guitar is compared to the alternative and weather it's worth investing in the extra money for a better guitar to play on.

I hope i havn't upset anyone by my little rant. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

yep, sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Perverockstar69
I do think LTD are good guitars, not just ok. But yeah, the amp is very important to get a good sound (and a good playing of course).

As do I. I was just saying even a Squier will sound good on a nice amp.

**** Here's a recommendation....*****

If you go EC 1000, get the ones with DUncans and not EMG. The thin body style and as light as it is (seriously the 401 series is heavier) the EMG's will not sound as good, HOWEVER the SD's sound excellent in it.
Quote by mwalluk
As do I. I was just saying even a Squier will sound good on a nice amp.

**** Here's a recommendation....*****

If you go EC 1000, get the ones with DUncans and not EMG. The thin body style and as light as it is (seriously the 401 series is heavier) the EMG's will not sound as good, HOWEVER the SD's sound excellent in it.

Thanks
I owned both an EC401VF and an EC1000, I actually preferred the 401 to the 1000. Granted the 1000 was more cosmetically beautiful, the 401 gave off a better LP tone.
Actually the LTDs I'm most interested in right now are the H-1000FR and the MH-1000FR (I could swap the EMG's for something more versatile though). I already have a Viper-500 with meaty riffing and a very expressive Strat, so I need something a little bit different with a floyd rose (or any other double action tremolo system for that matter). By the way, I'm only doing a research since I'm not getting the guitar in an immediate future, just looking for candidates. I appreciate all your information, thank you guys.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Agreed!

I have the LTD SC607B and the ESP Stef B7 ...very similar feel, tone, and playability, same PUs, etc. except the ESP had better hardware. You'll struggle to differentiate one from the other just by listening.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't argue with W4RP1G!!!! When he speaks you better listen. He's not opinionated even in the face of overwhelming evidence against his opinions. He's not an instigator and he's never wrong!

P.S. He also doesn't live here on the messsage board. He's always out doing other interesting things with his life other than answering posts where opinion is asked for.
DeepBlue, stop getting in everyone's faces. It's their opinion.

I believe you DO get what you pay for, where you draw that line depends on the person. I have an ESP H-1001 and it's great, I've played the Horizons, and the fret job is certainly much better as is the general wood selection. I do not justify paying 4 times what I paid for just to get that though. I got my LTD for 500$ and it's an amazing guitar. But I do not feel like ESP is the best company to even use in this, low end to higher end comparison. Something Like PRS would be more fitting, I don't think I'd ever pay full price just to own a legitimate PRS, I'd probably get one Secondhand.

I'd rather invest a couple thousand into a custom, BRJ. And even then some people would tell me to go get a Carvin because you'll get exactly what you want for half the price. This argument is subjective, there is no right or wrong. If a player feels right with the most expensive Gibson they can find, more power to them. And if you see a player rocking his very first epiphone or squire and enjoying it more power to them too.

You do get what you pay for, wether you let that affect you or your playing is up to you.
Page 1 of 2