Hi guys, this is yet another new amp thread.

So I've decided that after 2 years my faithful Laney 15 watt solid state amp needs upgrading. My interest in music is sort of diverse, I'm into hard rock like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, some Bon Jovi, but also alternative stuff like U2. So a good crunch tone is important, and decent cleans would be appreciated. Actually I was looking into the Marshall AVT50, cos I'd tried the AVT150 in a jamming studio but I live in an apartment so obviously something so loud wouldn't work. Brands available to me are Marshall, Fender, Laney, Orange, Blackstar, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, VHT, Kustom etc. Basically the usual stuff. Also, please recommend a decent cab in case I decide to go with a head+cab configuration.

I intend to use this amp for bedroom practice most of the time and also for gigs occassionally. I'm open to both new and used, or even a combination of a new head and used cab or vice versa. But new is preferred. As for budget, my budget isn't very fixed, cos I'm a student right now and I'll be taking up a part-time job after my exams and my birthday is during that time period so I'll be able to split the cost somewhat with my parents I suppose. So maybe around 700-800 USD (after conversion from my local currency)?

My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position and Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge position.

Also, does anyone know what's the difference between the AVT50 and the AVT50h, apart from one being a combo and one being a head?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by snareguitar15 at Sep 30, 2011,
Take a look at Jet City, if you can.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by snareguitar15

Also, does anyone know what's the difference between the AVT50 and the AVT50h, apart from one being a combo and one being a head?

Thanks in advance!

one's a combo and one's a head, yeah. Avoid them, with your budget.

EDIT: off the top of my head, maybe a traynor ycv50b.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't recommend the AVT, but that's me.

Stay away from VHT (unless it's an older Fryette model ala Deliverance, Sig-x or Pitbull). VHT hasn't been the same since Fryettte left.

Given your price range and living situation and influences, you may want to consider an AC 15 or 30 or a Fender with pedals.

You could usually score a mesa recto for around that much used.

Marshall DSL50 for around $500-600.

Just b/c you live in an apartment, don't mean you need a low wattage. I lived in an apt and rocked a 100 watt Marshall JCM and a Mesa Recto. I gig as well.
Yeah well the people here are pretty sensitive about volume-related stuff. The JCM2000 DSL50 is an all-tube head right? Will it sound decent at like low to medium-ish volumes? Also, could you recommend a cab, since it's a head. If a head+cab combination is slightly out of my budget I won't mind waiting for a while more to be able to get that if it's better instead.
Quote by snareguitar15
Yeah well the people here are pretty sensitive about volume-related stuff. The JCM2000 DSL50 is an all-tube head right? Will it sound decent at like low to medium-ish volumes? Also, could you recommend a cab, since it's a head. If a head+cab combination is slightly out of my budget I won't mind waiting for a while more to be able to get that if it's better instead.

Its sound decent but doesn't open up till about 3 then starts sounding real nice on 5. Keep in mind I played mine at the time on 3.5 for shows.

It doesn't sound too bad, for hoime rocking on 1. I didn't mind it.
The thing about avatar cabs is that they don't ship outside of north america, so I can't get that.
what country are you in? i suggested the traynor when i thought you were in the US (though they're good value in europe too since thomann does a deal on them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah

I'm not sure really what's readily available there or what prices things go for there
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?