i started playing bass over a year ago but just bought an electric guitar and although it sounded awesome when i played it in the shop through a fender tube amp it just didnt have that oomph when i plugged it into my axl standard 15b (i wonder why???) and was wondering whether it would be better to buy a tube amp or a multi effects prosessor given that i have under £200 to spend
what type(s) of music will you be playing? you can get quite nice low wattage tube amps for very little cash nowadays, but they tend to be one-trick ponies. EDIT: do you remember which fender tube amp you were plugged into? and if so, was that the perfect tone you're after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Multi-effects processors and pedals can come close to sounding like tube amps, but they will never sound exactly like it. A tube amp has a certain soul to it that can't be replicated digitally. There are some pretty good imitations, but honestly, nothing is like the real thing.

I went through pedals left and right until I picked up my first real tube amp. It's a whole different world of sound. Maybe save up a little more until you can pick up something like a Fender Blues Jr? They're relatively cheap as far as tube amps go, and great tone!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
i'd like to have a sound that was sort of emoy pop rock sound but some flexability would be nice, thanks for the advice though and loving the hendrix quote ))
1. Buy Klon
2. Get TGP cred
3. Sell Klon for profit
4. Win
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
im only playing at home at the moment but i may have a band soon so was gonna get something bagger
Tube amp. You already know what sound you want and you know the tube amp sounds good, so why not get it and be happy?

Multifx processors aren't too great, imo. I have had a few, and I currently own a Boss ME70. It's good if you want to play around with FX for cheap, but it's a far better investment to just get a pedal here and there that you will use, even if it costs more in the end because the pedals are just better.
how flexible is that budget?

off the top of my head though, if you can't stretch, grab one of those jet cities which are on deal on ebay at the moment being sold by their distributor. you can pick up the 20 watt combo, new, for around the £200 mark.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jet-City-Mike-Soldano-JCA2112RC-BRAND-NEW-20W-Combo-valve-Gtr-amp-Full-Warranty-/320766055689?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4aaf259509 (it's £199 or best offer, so offer them a fair bit less and see if they take it )

i haven't tried them, but from what i hear, they're pretty good for the money.

EDIT: ^^ I would also say, regarding multi-fx... considering some of the really quite nice pedals being made currently for not-very-much money, I'm not sure there's all that much point in multi-fx any more, unless you need absolutely tons of fx, the ability to program multiple effects at once, or the amp models. I mean, joyo pedals go for 29 euro on thomann (rebranded as harley benton), toneriders are £50 each, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2011,
The one good thing about my multifx is I have a wah, octaver, and volume pedals for pretty cheap. I honestly don't use it for anything else. I have a better EQ pedal, and the gain and reverb on my amp are better. The only other thing I might use on it would be chorus and delay, if I get the itch. But I don't use those normally, otherwise I'd buy separate pedals for them.
yeah.

also in my (very limited) experience, multi-fx wah pedals often aren't all that great.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

also in my (very limited) experience, multi-fx wah pedals often aren't all that great.

No, there's really nothing that beats the real deal. But it's great to have the expression pedal for when you when you only need it to correctly cover something. Like I use the octavizer thing to play Buckethead or Joe Satriani, and the wah for Black Label or Hendrix, but I don't use them otherwise. I'm kind of old fashioned in that I'm happy with my tube amp and an EQ pedal.
i havent seen too many muti fx that can do a nice clean with an ever so slight tube drive right before the amp gets crunchy. If a solid state can do that well, i'd buy it (at a reasonable price.) Pick up a fender pro junior, it can be had used for $240usd
Quote by W4RP1G
No, there's really nothing that beats the real deal. But it's great to have the expression pedal for when you when you only need it to correctly cover something. Like I use the octavizer thing to play Buckethead or Joe Satriani, and the wah for Black Label or Hendrix, but I don't use them otherwise. I'm kind of old fashioned in that I'm happy with my tube amp and an EQ pedal.

yep, sure. I think that's what things like multi-fx are good for, mucking about or if you need a large number of effects, but only rarely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey ive done some more looking around on the internet and the 2 amps im looking at are the fender frontman 65 and the fender super champ XD does anyone have an opinion on these two amps?????
avoid the frontman, it's cack. it's also not tube.

super champ is pretty nice for what it is, but be advised it's sorta hybrid tube and modelling.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?