okay i mastered barre chords last year so i'm pretty far away from beginner now i considered myself intermediate.

But when i'm playing a song full with barre chords why does my thumb hurts within like 30-60 seconds? am i doing it the correct way?
squeezing too hard? You only have to press hard enough on the strings to have the note(s) sound.
try putting a rubber ball in the palm of your hand when you barre, it helps keep your hand in a better position and strengthens the correct muscles
Getting the right amount of squeezing force is a tricky part. An exercise my teacher gave me was to play a scale by just barely pushing the string, just enough to hear a change in pitch, as if i were playing harmonics. The same could be done with chords. It worked for me, wish you luck too.
What angel is your thumb at one the back of the neck? and is your thumb flat against the neck or standing up a bit on the print?

You want your thumb to be roughly in line with where your barring on the other side, and you do not want to have your thumb pointing towards the head stock,you want it pointing more towards the ceiling.

You also should try keep your wrist straight.

I don't know if this is what's causing you problems. You could have all of this down already. But maybe it will help. =)
I had that problem at your stage. I was simply fretting way too hard and I was strangling the ever-living hell out of the neck.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by PUNKSTER93
okay i mastered barre chords last year

Obviously not if you're having problems with pain.

Quote by PUNKSTER93
so i'm pretty far away from beginner now i considered myself intermediate.

Knowing barre chords does not make you an intermediate guitarist; that's about as basic and beginner as it gets.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze is right in saying you are still no good....Do you know why?...It is because you still no good.....

not really...

try doing that the guys before sleaze said.....if you think you might break your damn neck from pressure maybe you should lighten up....or your angle could be wrong

if it feels wrong..

it is wrong...
I haz gotten gud
I never said he wasn't "good", I was merely pointing out that knowing barre chords does not make one intermediate, considering the entire scope of guitar playing.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
i have the exact same problem, i have been trying to put less pressure, i know thats what iam doing wrong but not putting enough pressure just feels wrong.
I call it the death grip, and many beginners learn it when not taught to relax. You may still be doing that. You only need to put enough pressure on the string to get the right note, anything else will cause discomfort, and probably a sharp note.

It's hard to relax when you're learning something new, and sometimes that causes you to learn bad technique, like poor posture or excess pressure. You have to be conscious of your posture and technique when learning something just as you have to know what notes to press. Once you figure it out the right way, it will come naturally.

I suggest watching some videos on youtube of proper posture and technique.
Quote by jkielq91
What angel is your thumb at one the back of the neck? and is your thumb flat against the neck or standing up a bit on the print?

You want your thumb to be roughly in line with where your barring on the other side, and you do not want to have your thumb pointing towards the head stock,you want it pointing more towards the ceiling.

You also should try keep your wrist straight.

I don't know if this is what's causing you problems. You could have all of this down already. But maybe it will help. =)

THIS
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I never said he wasn't "good", I was merely pointing out that knowing barre chords does not make one intermediate, considering the entire scope of guitar playing.

the main reason why i called myself intermediate is because i can play songs that are kinda complex like fade to black, unholy confessions and other songs at those levels. not because of barre chords, i mean come on i'm not an arrogant person.
do not classify yourself as this or that....

the longer you think that you suck the more you work on getting better....
I haz gotten gud
Quote by ApatheticMe
do not classify yourself as this or that....

the longer you think that you suck the more you work on getting better....

Since day one i always think that i suck at guitars, compared to my friends.

Back to the topic, thanks guys for all of your suggestions! what I've found out was my thumb was facing the headstock not the ceiling. and i was putting too much pressure on my thumb.

Its gonna be real hard breaking up the bad habits but I'll get over it one day

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!
You're putting too much strain on the thumb in a backward angle.

I used to have this problem a lot- it'd cause considerable pain in the thumb knuckle if I bent it slightly. Once I started looking at how my thumb was resting against the neck during barre chords, I realized I was straining it.
okay one more question. should i put my "bone" side of my thumb below the neck or at the side of the neck?
Last edited by PUNKSTER93 at Oct 1, 2011,
right now I'm playing smells like teen spirit just to practice. instead of power chords i used barre chords so far i'm still experimenting my thumb
you would be better off practising a mix of open and barres as switching between them is a lot tougher than barre to barre and it will give you more practice forming the barre with your index. As easy as it is I still play Mr. Jones by Counting Crows as part of my warm up Am, F, Dm, G
Quote by PUNKSTER93
okay one more question. should i put my "bone" side of my thumb below the neck or at the side of the neck?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by bone side. I personally have a bone right through my thumb :P

maybe this will help. The pictures not me, I got it off of google.

I used to have the same problem, and I was pretty sure it was tendinitis or soemthing.
I fixed the problem by keeping my wrist straight, and making sure that my thumb was in the correct position behind the neck. Also don't squeeze too hard, you only need to apply enough pressure to make the notes sound, anything more is overkill.
Most force should be done in your other fingers rather than the thumb. Let it a bit loose if it's too hard.
Professional lurker since 2009.
thanks for the pic jkielq91. but and what does it mean by keeping my wrist straight? can you show me a pic? just to be sure

i think this is what you get when you're self taught - learning the bad habits and fixing them a year later
Quote by PUNKSTER93
thanks for the pic jkielq91. but and what does it mean by keeping my wrist straight? can you show me a pic? just to be sure

i think this is what you get when you're self taught - learning the bad habits and fixing them a year later

Sure.

Again, the pics not me, its just off of google.

Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 2, 2011,