So I hate my vypyr I can't believe Ive be using it for close to two years and I need something better. I've got credit to spend at sweetwater and with my birthday coming up and cash I have now I'll be able to spend around $450 not much more then that. What would be the best thing? Is there a amp for around that, that can handle metal and hardrock? Or would a guitar interface for use with guitar rig be better or any other suggestion? But I have to buy from sweetwater because of the credit I have. Also I play 99% of the time with headphones on
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Last edited by NIN1993 at Sep 30, 2011,
Amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
a 6505 combo or a line 6 pod and metal shop upgrade pack or whatever. should blow your vypr out of the water ethier way
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
What we like and what you like may be two completely different things, go to a music store and try out EVERYTHING. You won't know what works best for YOU reading specs online, listen to youtube clips or taking the advice of others. Certainly it can help guide you, but you need to get a feel yourself.
Oops, I didn't see that you played through headphones that much. A mfx unit will probably be better than an amp than.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by OurRequiem
a 6505 combo or a line 6 pod and metal shop upgrade pack or whatever. should blow your vypr out of the water ethier way

the 6505 is to much money and probably to loud
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
what does everyone think about me getting something like this and using it with guitar rig? or does anyone know of anything else like this that sweetwater sells.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StealthPedal/ I know there is also the Guitar rig pedal but its a bit more and I think the stealth pedal would be good because I mainly want it for the expression part of it
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Tell me hat to spend my money on please.

You can't go wrong with a nice fedora. Don't cheap out on them either, the higher end ones are a lot nicer than the cheap shit you find at Spencers.
Make sure starting out that you find one that goes with most of your wardrobe. Then, as you buy more you can find some that match specific outfits. You'll automatically get more respect from older folks and blues musicians when wearing a nice fedora.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
You can't go wrong with a nice fedora. Don't cheap out on them either, the higher end ones are a lot nicer than the cheap shit you find at Spencers.
Make sure starting out that you find one that goes with most of your wardrobe. Then, as you buy more you can find some that match specific outfits. You'll automatically get more respect from older folks and blues musicians when wearing a nice fedora.

thanks for the advice
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Quote by NIN1993
thanks for the advice

Not a problem

As for a real answer to your question, maybe some recording software to go with Guitar Rig? Or a nice interface for your comp.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
me
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well if you could stretch the budget a bit more, you could get a JCA22H and the Jet City 1x12 for it. I've heard nothing but good reviews about that whole company in general.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by mwalluk
What we like and what you like may be two completely different things, go to a music store and try out EVERYTHING. You won't know what works best for YOU reading specs online, listen to youtube clips or taking the advice of others. Certainly it can help guide you, but you need to get a feel yourself.

This is the only good advice on this thread so far.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What don't you like about your Vypyr 15 and what kind of metal do you play? How important are effects to you? What kind of computer do you have? I used a Stealth Plug for a bit but that was long time ago. Peavey ReValver software is pretty good I hear. Don't you get a free copy of that with a Vypyr purchase?

Otherwise, get a Pod.

You could get a standalone Pod or one that connect to your computer (like a UX1).

I have a Pod UX1 (Toneport) which comes with Pod Farm that is pretty good. You can buy 'metal paks' to got with it. You can plug a guitar right into it or a microphone. It becomes your 'sound card'

That is about all I can rec. That stuff and a Vypyr 60
Wondering why a vypyr can't handle the metal you play. Lots of metalheads here are using them and liking them.

Edit:

311, so the vypyr 60 tube has a headphone output as well?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^ yes, it does.

Quote by GaryBillington
This is the only good advice on this thread so far.

I disagree. I mean he needs something that will work with headphones. That is not exactly easy to go try these things out and some stores do not even have a good selection. That UG GGnA for the most part provides lots of good advice based on hands on experience. That peer reviews and suggestions are helpful.

Is it important to look up specs, listen to clips and play for yourself? Yes.

Also Gary, did you know that if you click on someone's Avatar it will automatically take you to their profile. You don't need a link to your profile in a signature too. I mean you can...but it is redundant.

Quote by mailbox2112
Well if you could stretch the budget a bit more, you could get a JCA22H and the Jet City 1x12 for it. I've heard nothing but good reviews about that whole company in general.

Yeah I kinda wish Jet city was a option but they don't sell them at sweetwater
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What don't you like about your Vypyr 15 and what kind of metal do you play? How important are effects to you? What kind of computer do you have? I used a Stealth Plug for a bit but that was long time ago. Peavey ReValver software is pretty good I hear. Don't you get a free copy of that with a Vypyr purchase?

Otherwise, get a Pod.

You could get a standalone Pod or one that connect to your computer (like a UX1).

I have a Pod UX1 (Toneport) which comes with Pod Farm that is pretty good. You can buy 'metal paks' to got with it. You can plug a guitar right into it or a microphone. It becomes your 'sound card'

That is about all I can rec. That stuff and a Vypyr 60

My Vypyr only came with a trial of ReValver. I don't play a lot of metal but I would like to be able to play Metallica, Megadeth, Rammstein, Mastodon and BLS. If I were to get a Pod there would be no way for me to use a wah pedal right? that's why I was looking at the expression pedals that I can plug into the computer and use with guitar rig because I know it has a few wah pedal options. And for computer, I mainly use a AlienWare MX11
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Quote by DarthV
Wondering why a vypyr can't handle the metal you play. Lots of metalheads here are using them and liking them.

Edit:

311, so the vypyr 60 tube has a headphone output as well?

I didn't say it couldn't handle the metal I play but I'm use something that was $100 and was thinking with $450 I would be able to get something that sounds better and is more versatile
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
That's fine. Your OP said Metal and Rock and rock is pretty easy to figure out tone wise but there are so many genres of metal - I figured I better ask.

What about something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHD400/

Again - his credit is with Sweetwater, which is an on-line store.

PS: The Vypyr 60 is quite the upgrade over the 15. He was just asking because it will help us recommend something different.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's fine. Your OP said Metal and Rock and rock is pretty easy to figure out tone wise but there are so many genres of metal - I figured I better ask.

What about something like this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHD400/

Again - his credit is with Sweetwater, which is an on-line store.

PS: The Vypyr 60 is quite the upgrade over the 15. He was just asking because it will help us recommend something different.

I tried one of those hd400's and didn't like it to much mainly for the fact because I couldn't figure out how to use it to well and I feel like guitar rig is better because you can download presets and it seems like it has more options overall. also if going to sweetwater was at all better I do have the option to drive there but prefer not to because its 3 hours from my house
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
ok

i assumed it was online only

personally i think both the Peavey Vypyr and the Pod HDs sound great in their price range.

i hope Guitar Rig works out for you but you may need to just save up - as it sounds like you have high standards
Quote by NIN1993
My Vypyr only came with a trial of ReValver. I don't play a lot of metal but I would like to be able to play Metallica, Megadeth, Rammstein, Mastodon and BLS. If I were to get a Pod there would be no way for me to use a wah pedal right? that's why I was looking at the expression pedals that I can plug into the computer and use with guitar rig because I know it has a few wah pedal options. And for computer, I mainly use a AlienWare MX11

you can use a wah through a POD no problem i do it all the time for recording.
Quote by monwobobbo
you can use a wah through a POD no problem i do it all the time for recording.

Yeah but that means besides buying a Pod I would also need a Wah.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also Gary, did you know that if you click on someone's Avatar it will automatically take you to their profile. You don't need a link to your profile in a signature too. I mean you can...but it is redundant.

Of course I know that - but I'm hoping that by promoting it as much as possible, eventually someone local to me who can sing better than I can will find me and get in touch. As the saying goes, all publicity is good publicity
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ok
personally i think both the Peavey Vypyr and the Pod HDs sound great in their price range.

i hope Guitar Rig works out for you but you may need to just save up - as it sounds like you have high standards

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by GaryBillington
Of course I know that - but I'm hoping that by promoting it as much as possible, eventually someone local to me who can sing better than I can will find me and get in touch. As the saying goes, all publicity is good publicity

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Nothing wrong with promoting yourself
I would find out how long your store credit will last with sweetwater and then take a little more time to get some more cash to add to your purchase cause handing over cash gives you more bargaining power as well it will give you more options when making a decision
Quote by Talon64
I would find out how long your store credit will last with sweetwater and then take a little more time to get some more cash to add to your purchase cause handing over cash gives you more bargaining power as well it will give you more options when making a decision

I tried to think about that but just couldn't because I'm tired of my vypyr.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
POD HD 300 should be right up your alley
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED