so i was screwing around with chord progressions and scales to play over them and i came up with this scale
1,2,3,4,5,b6,7
basically a major scale with a flat 6th and i cant come up with the name for it.I like how it sounds so id like to use it in stuff im writing in the future and putting a name to it would really help

so if anyone could give me a name for it and if its a mode of a scale it would really help out thanks
Quote by supersac
wouldnt lydian diminished have a #4?

yes it would, the most correct answer in my opinion is its the 5th mode of the lydian diminished scale

So like C something- C D E F G Ab B
F lydian diminished F G Ab B C D E
EDIT: ITS the harmonic major scale
Last edited by awesomo41894 at Sep 30, 2011,
Quote by awesomo41894
yes it would, the most correct answer in my opinion is its the 5th mode of the lydian diminished scale

So like C something- C D E F G Ab B
F lydian diminished F G Ab B C D E
EDIT: ITS the harmonic major scale

thank you i knew it was harmonic something or other

who knew findout out new scales and modes to play with would be so much fun
It depends on how you are using it, if you are just playing it over chords from the major scale, then it's just a major scale with a b6 accidental.

If you want to use it as a scale in it's own right, you need to make sure your 2, 4 and 6 chord (not going to get into 7ths or extended chords here) all have a b6 instead of a 6 and REALLY emphasize that fact.

Though really it's easier just to treat it as a major scale that uses a b6 accidental. :P
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░