My interest here is to represent the work of a generation of musicians who started in the eighties, primarily in New-York, playing jazz, avant-garde music, rock, folk music etc.
Perhaps the key figure of this generation could be John Zorn. As a composer, he strongly tries to understand not only the music language but also all the social, historical properties attached to this art.
Music, like a reflexion on music and all the possible links that you can make with different areas.

Not only Zorn but a whole community of musicians thinks and pratices music in this way.
You can name : Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Anthony Coleman, Dave Douglas, Wayne Horvitz, Tim Sparks, Andy Statman, etc.

So basically, I try to tab their work and propose that to you.

The interesting thing is that you can come across an enormous variety of music, blues, jazz, folk, world, etc. ; an amazing knowledge that you can play with on your instrument.

I hope this will be the start of a solid conversation.

So far I already tabbed 4 compositions.

Marc Ribot - Kivah : This comes from a project called Masada initiate by John Zorn to create new Jewish music.

Marc Ribot (plays Frantz Casseus' music) - Merengue : Haitian music

Bill Frisell - Abidan : New Jewish music again.

Bill Frisell - Probability Cloud, Pt. 2 : Modern Creative, East-Europe Music

(I'm French, please forgive my mistakes, correct me if you want)
Last edited by Aoaukaua at Oct 2, 2011,
Anyone has listened to Marc Ribot's last album Silent Movies ?
I find it really interesting and beautiful.

It's his fifth solo guitar album but this one does not refer so much to jazz aesthetics nor ponder about them.

Nearly the entire album is composed by Marc Ribot. One can defines this music like Americana ballads, one sure thing it's intimate, melancolic and really explores the possibility of the guitar to be one of the most haunting instrument.

I tabbed the first tune :

Marc Ribot - Variation 1

and will probably continue to transcribe others songs.

SeE yA!

Hey check out my blog

Marc Ribot's tabs
Bill Frisell's tabs

Bootleg and stuff

Link removed by emad