Hey guys,
I was listening to 'House of fun' by Madness and was a little unsure of the chord sequence in the bridge. I looked up the chords and they had written that it went from Amaj - Ebmaj. What is the relationship between these chords? Is it Tonic to Flat dominant? Or is it modal or a weird scale or something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
If what you are saying is correct and the key of the song is in a major (though from the somewhat limited information you provided it is difficult to tell, I have never heard the song myself)

Then the e flat major chord does not have really have any sort of solid harmonic relation, none of the notes of the e flat major chord belong to the key of A.

I'm not really sure if E flat and A Major really ever occur in the same key because an e flat has a b flat in it, and that would give you A, B flat and B in one scale, that doesn't spell out diatonically in a key. It doesn't qualify as a borrowed chord either because B flat is not in the key of A minor either .
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
Thanks for the responses

The chord structure for the bridge is
A - Eb - A - F#m -Bm - G - A -A7

Which I think is either
A(I) – Eb (?) - A(I) - F#m(vi)
Key change to Dmaj
Bm(vi) - G(IV) - A(V) A7(V7)
Or
A(V) – Eb (?) - A(V) - F#m(iii) <- Phrygian modal (hinting at Amaj)

The only thing I could think of is that it's B melodic minor allowing for A A# B... not really sure though
Quote by Gaelendickson
Thanks for the responses

The chord structure for the bridge is
A - Eb - A - F#m -Bm - G - A -A7

Which I think is either
A(I) – Eb (?) - A(I) - F#m(vi)
Key change to Dmaj
Or
A(V) – Eb (?) - A(V) - F#m(iii) <- Phrygian modal (hinting at Amaj)

The only thing I could think of is that it's B melodic minor allowing for A A# B... not really sure though

Ok, So I'm assuming that the song is in D major or B minor? If so, A7 would be the dominant, and Eb would be the tritone substitution of A7(although it would really be Eb7). A7 has the notes A C# E G. Eb7 has the notes Eb G Bb Db. They share two notes which are the 3rd and the 7th, allowing them to be substituted for one another.
Is that Eb chord in first inversion? It's considered a Neapolitan 6th in the key of D major if it is. Even if it's not in first inversion you can just write it off as a Neapolitan 6th in D to explain it.
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
Wow thanks again guys. I think you are right about the Neapolitan chord. V – N6 just seems a bit simpler and more sense.