Can one be sued over copping another guitarist stylistically in a tribute song? Like, if a band wrote a song as a stylistic tribute to a band that influenced them, and the guitarist plays a solo in the style of the guitarist from the band the tribute is written to, could you get sued for copping his style? I don't mean consistently ripping off licks and not developing your own style, I know that that's a total weenie move haha.
No. Every guitarist in history has copied the style of someone else at some point in their career. It's fair game for someone like John Petrucci to "steal" ideas from people Alan Holdsworth or Al Di Meola.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
To be even more specific, you can use the same chords as another song and still not be sued. What usually results in a successful lawsuit is when you copy the melody.

To play in the style of someone else will not get you into trouble.
What if theres an accidental bleeding in of an actual lick from that guitarist? Like a small fragment of a solo? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass haha thanks for all the help
thanks a lot guys, I'm sure J Mascis would be way too lazy to ever pursue a lawsuit anyway haha...just look at Evan Dando
Quote by FireHawk

Recording the bands songs and selling them is illegal.

It would also be illegal to give them away.

Quote by KG6_Steven
What usually results in a successful lawsuit is when you copy the melody.

... or the lyrics.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by FireHawk

to be honest unless your selling a decent amount of records you aren't even going to be looked at for copyright infringement

Do you not break into your neighbours house because you're afraid that you'll get caught, or because it is the wrong thing to do?

To answer the question specifically - copping someone's style is pretty nebulous. A 'style' is not considered a creative work and therefore not subject to copyright.

AC/DC would have been all over Jet's asses for Cold Hard Bitch, or Cinderella's "Shake Me" if copping a style was problematic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The only things that are generally enforceable by copyright are lyrics and, sometimes, substantial/extremely recognisable portions of the melody. I think melody generally only applies to written (sheet) music.

The idea of being sued for playing in the same style as another player is ludicrous!
We all steal licks... as Bob Dylan said "All the great books have been written, all the great songs have been sung - we just repeat each other now..." I'm really just a compilation of all the guitarists I've listened to.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Its been mentioned, stealing melody and lyrics are the only thing that will get you sued.

I mean, imagine if the first bands copyrighted G-D-Em-C chord progression and similar progressions in different keys. I think we'd have a whole lot less music and a whole lotta lawsuits.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp