Page 1 of 3
Hey hows it going everyone. Just starting on guitar (only a few months of classes) and I have some questions. I fully understand that everyone has a different opinion on this and that's great. I just want to hear them. Starting out I will let you know what gear I'm working with.

Jackson DK2T Dinky
Blackstar HT-5R head w/ 2 12" cabinets
Roland Cube30x

The genres I play are about everything, there really is no set limits on what I plan to work on, I enjoy all kinds of music so that's not a real big factor. I do not plan to gig anytime soon, I barely know much at all, so its for just home use ATM.

So last week at class I took a bit of time from work and me and my instructor shot the breeze about pedals. The subject was starting from ground zero, no gear, what would be the best choice (and investment) in terms of pedals. He feels that with the collective nature I have and being picky about sound quality that I'm better off buying pedals one at a time then jumping into uncharted waters with a big ol multi effects board. I agree with him as 1.) I do love to collect whatever hobby I'm into 2.) Being into vintage stereo gear I'm picky about audio quality too.

Now I'm only asking this because I know he might not know a whole lot about the current digital gear and effects, or maybe he does. I know the POD HD has got great reviews and so has the Digitech boards. I just want to hear out some other people before I make my choice. I was looking at the POD HD500 + Digitech RP1000. My budget is about $500 or less. I can buy it local or online, prefer it online with a coupon new, but I'm not beyond getting used gear if its a steal.

I just think it's worth hearing the advantages of these boards because starting from having no effects at all, it will help me shape and copy my sound while I'm learning and practicing songs. It sure would be nice to play some of these songs and get a really close to modeling of the sound. I would like to use a high quality set of headphones SOMETIMES so I don't disturb my wife practicing. My Blackstar amp can do this so it's not a real big deal. I know that after watching some videos being able to connect it to the pc for updates and recording stuff later down the line sounds great. Having tons of effect at my disposal sounds great.

So there it is, sorry if it's a long read, I just want some info from you guys, what you think. Also even if I do buy a Multi Effects, it's not gonna stop me from buying some pedals anyway, I prefer ones that are built to last and sound good. Thanks for reading my long post!
Yay, Ive never seen this type of thread before.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Single-effect pedals generally have better quality and offer more control than multi-effect pedals. The only downside to that is you have to buy more pedals, which ends up costing a lot more. For example, I have a dozen single-effect pedals on my board. Total cost of all pedals and board are over $1200. To buy a single multi-effect pedal with the same effects would've been a lot less. For me, it was about quality.
Multi. Totally. For the price plus versatility you can't go wrong. I have the RP500, and it's about the end of the road for me. It's only limits so far have been me. I love it.

My only complaint was that the 1/8 line in jack for mp3/cd in failed on mine within a few months. I don't know if it was my fault or the unit's.

You only have to worry about one power supply and there's a whole lot less cables and stuff that can go wrong than with single pedal setup.

Go ahead and do a search, tho. This topic has been discussed in great detail.
depends on which pedals you would use.

i.e. axe fx2, compared to say 20 effects of your choice... axe fx2 wins.
I just switched from single pedals to an RP 1000.
I don't think I will go back.
I have everything in one package now.
What really sold me on the RP was when I tried out the Tubescreamers and they sounded just like the Tubescreamers that I had individually.
All of the other effects, same thing, I can't tell the difference.
I went with the RP due to the ability to hook up the effects through the loop and front of the amp.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
It's really going to come down to how picky you are about sound quality, what exactly your playing requires, and how big your budget is.

At the end of the day, individual pedals will always sound better than any digital multi fx (with our current tech). But, those individual pedals can be very expensive. You can get a great multi fx pedal for $500, with great sound quality, or you can get 2 standalone pedals for that price with amazing sound quality. The standalones will be great pedals, no questions, but you have to decide for yourself if those two pedals are the only things you need, as opposed to the nearly limitless options digital MFX offer these days, albeit at a somewhat lower overall sound quality.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the Boss GT-10, if you're just looking for FX and not amp models, check it out. Better than the POD HD or RP's for FX, IMO.

EDIT: Another huge factor is, if you do need many FX and options, patches. MFX pedals just give you so many customization options, they are invaluable to some people in some situations (like myself). Toss MIDI into the mix, and it's a no brainer. Of course, you can rig up a MIDI setup with individual pedals, but that in itself is a very expensive process.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 1, 2011,
For gigging, a good MFX setup every time. I use a rack. I can program each song to perfection and store it to a patch. At the gig I hit one button and everything, including my amp channel, will be exactly what it is supposed to be. I just write the patch numbers next to the songs in the set list and I'm set to go.
If I'm just jamming, give me pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do consider the Boss GT-10 in the line up. While not big on amp modeling the FXs are killer. It can do FXs in a way that individual pedals can't do.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I prefer multiFX pedals for two reasons:

1. Let say you have a $400 budget. If you want to buy single pedals, you could get MAYBE 3-4 of them (e.g. distortion, chorus and delay). Or you could just buy a professional multiFX with the effects mentioned above but also wah, overdrive, reverb, octaver, harmonizer etc plus amp modelings, integrated tuner, noise gate and USB audio interface. Your choice.

2. With a multiFX pedal I can go from a brutal metal distortion to a clean sound with chorus, delay and reverb by pressing ONE button. If I had single pedals I would need to activate/deactivate them one by one.
Quote by 00_hns_00
depends on which pedals you would use.

i.e. axe fx2, compared to say 20 effects of your choice... axe fx2 wins.

Nah, I'd rather 20 individual of very high quality

Anyway, in general I think it comes down to budget.

If you use a lot of effects and have a big budget you can afford high quality single pedals and a pedal switching system to turn multiple pedals on/off at once.
I'd personally prefer that too most multieffects systems.

On a smaller budget then a multieffects offers more effects and ease of switching for cheaper. Although the offset [too an extent] is quality, and the fact that the multieffects are nearly always going to be digital and not analog [not that that matters for most effects].

If you look at pros however, who can afford whatever they want, you can see that they often have a mixture. Vai uses some pedals [such as the jemini, phase 90, whammy] as well as some multi effects [tc g force, eventide of some kind]. It's a similar situation with petrucci, and many others.

The g force and eventide units however are EXTREMELY HIGH quality multieffects, and will pwn most pedals.

So which is better? Neither. They are just different, both have strengths and both have weaknesses.
RIP Gooze

cats
For the multieffects are you interested in just effects, or distortion and amp modeling as well?

The consensus seems to be that the line6 is the best at modeling, the GT10 is the worst and the digitech I'm not sure about.
For effects they are all fairly decent, IMO the line6 is best.

Also check out the line6 M13 or tc nova system.

It all depends on what you want effects you want the most.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
For the multieffects are you interested in just effects, or distortion and amp modeling as well?

The consensus seems to be that the line6 is the best at modeling, the GT10 is the worst and the digitech I'm not sure about.
For effects they are all fairly decent, IMO the line6 is best.

Also check out the line6 M13 or tc nova system.

It all depends on what you want effects you want the most.

+1, if you only want effects, then i say a line6m13. but if you want great amp modelling too (dual tones really helps your amp out if your looking to get different sounds), then go hd500.

but, you can find m13's used for like 300 on craigslist, which can save tons of money, just really dpeends on what you want.

in all honesty, 100$ pedals and such won't be better than high end mfx, but boutique pedals (typically cost like 200+) will be better than their counter part. so say you only use around 5 effects, that would total around 1200 (or more, because there are lots of nice and expensive stuff out there).

however, 5 100 dollar effects = price of podhd 500.... hd 500 would win in that case. because it also has built in wah and volume, and a built in tuner.
It depends what you like. All I use is distortions and delays (and a wah) so I don't really like mfx boards.
Buy a multifx with a loop like the HD500 or RP1000 and you can add separate pedals to fill out the tones you can't quite get. For reference on used prices I got my used RP1000 for $225 and my buddy sold his HD500 for $350.

I have a whole pedalboard in the loop of my RP1000. One advantage is that the loop is buffered and tone loss issues due to loading is eliminated.

We really need a sticky'd multifx comparison that details the pro and cons of each.
I think as you are just starting out, you should start out with single pedals. Add one effect at a time into your current chain, play with the settings of the pedal and amp, and decide if you like it. You really do not need to put too much at one time into your sound. Not to mention, single pedals REALLY do sound better and ultimately, that will probably be the way you will go. NOW, multi-effects are nice as well for other reasons. I have the Pod HD400 and it is pretty nice. I do not use it with an amp generally, I use it for recording and headphone playing late at night. While it does sound good, it still doesnt nail sounding like a real amp. The pod (or RP) has so many effects I think that it would overwelm you. SO, my opinion would be to start with pedals of single effects to see how you like that paticular effect and work your way to many many effects at once.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
its not about sound quality overall, it is my pickiness about each effect.

I hav not found 1 mutli effect in ANY price range that can give me exactly what i am looking for with each single effect i want.

basically, i cannot find my one stop shop. im not saying all teh stuff i use is that crazy good either, even cheaper brands or pedals in the 100 dollar price range all do different things. i like building the combination.
Quote by madh4ttr
I think as you are just starting out, you should start out with single pedals. Add one effect at a time into your current chain, play with the settings of the pedal and amp, and decide if you like it. You really do not need to put too much at one time into your sound. Not to mention, single pedals REALLY do sound better and ultimately, that will probably be the way you will go. NOW, multi-effects are nice as well for other reasons. I have the Pod HD400 and it is pretty nice. I do not use it with an amp generally, I use it for recording and headphone playing late at night. While it does sound good, it still doesnt nail sounding like a real amp. The pod (or RP) has so many effects I think that it would overwelm you. SO, my opinion would be to start with pedals of single effects to see how you like that paticular effect and work your way to many many effects at once.

I would say the exact opposite, when you just start out you have no clue on what you really want or what your taste is. Buying single pedals is an extremely expensive way of finding that out. And it is nonsense that they sound 'better', they just sound different... it's nothing more than a hype. You got ppl buying pedals of 300€ because they think it makes them sound better. 95% of you tone is in your fingers, give clapton a 100€ squier and a boss cube x10 and he'll make it sound like heaven. Same thing with people who think a guitar that costs 1800 dollars will sound better, sure if it has sentimental value, by all means, buy it but it will sound the same as a 500 $ mim.

I would recommend the m13 it's an amazing multi effects pedal that contains ALL the pedals of the line 6 product assortment and it has a looper.

(I'll now patiently wait for intense flaming from people who buy overpriced gear
I don't think a multifx would be best for this guy. I think personally he should just weesht and keep playing his guitar for another year or two before he bothers.

The roland cube has effects.. that'll give you an idea of the kinda single stomps you'd want but again i'd just keep learning instead of wasting your time on this.
while everybody has there own opinion, I do like what what coolstoryangus states "id just keep learning instead of wasting your time on this"

you tend to get lost in your playing when adding effects.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by eSdaze
I would say the exact opposite, when you just start out you have no clue on what you really want or what your taste is. Buying single pedals is an extremely expensive way of finding that out. And it is nonsense that they sound 'better', they just sound different... it's nothing more than a hype. You got ppl buying pedals of 300€ because they think it makes them sound better. 95% of you tone is in your fingers, give clapton a 100€ squier and a boss cube x10 and he'll make it sound like heaven. Same thing with people who think a guitar that costs 1800 dollars will sound better, sure if it has sentimental value, by all means, buy it but it will sound the same as a 500 $ mim.

I would recommend the m13 it's an amazing multi effects pedal that contains ALL the pedals of the line 6 product assortment and it has a looper.

(I'll now patiently wait for intense flaming from people who buy overpriced gear

the whole cliche gets old "tone comes from your fingers". while true to a certain point, dont discount quality equipment. multi-effects do not sound as good as individual pedals (opinion again and most agree) and is not hype BUT only you know what you will like better
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Great, Thanks for all the posts guys! I read every single one. Yeah I have read a lot of pros and cons on it, still thinking about what I will do. Like I said if I do get a POD or something, its not gonna stop me from buying boxes down the line.... at least I will have a better idea for what I'm looking for.

I agree with the guy saying just keep playing, I am, but besides from grinding exercises and playing what my teacher gave me to work on, I spend at least one day of the week just messing around and having fun... otherwise it becomes feeling way to much like my job.

The thing with the POD, at first I wasn't to big about the amp models but now that I think about it, it would be nice to have the amp models and play into some headphones and work late at night when I can't be loud...

I will just keep researching (and reading any more replys) I know this has been talked about a lot, sorry to be a bother, and I'm glad people are willing to talk to me about it.
no problem at all i love helping out people. like i said in all my posts, boutique pedals will sound nice, but getting a board of boutique pedals can be very expensive (mines like 1200), but getting something like the m13, or podhd500 (i wouldn't honestly consider any other pod), is 500 and less.
I just think really the cube should have enough stuff for you to play with. The multi fx processors wont have that much more stuff.
i think it depends on how much versitility you need. personally i'm a pedal guy but i also don't use a lot of fx (live, studio is a different ballgame). if you only requier limited fx then pedals are offten the better option. now if you play in a band and either cover a wide variety of songs or write stuf that requires a lot of varying fx then the multifx unit is the better bet.

at this point in your playing i'm not sure spending $500 on fx is needed or even a wise idea. personally i'd get a cheaper (but not crap) M-FX unit and experiment with it as you learn to play. once you have a better knowledge of all the fx and how they may or may not fit in to your sound then buy something better be it pedals of another mfx unit. keep in mind that fx (imho) are best used as a little extra flavouring when needed and not heaped on your sound.
The multi-fxs had advanced in technology that they can compete with dedicated pedals. Take my Boss GT-10 for example, it has an easy learning curve (easy edit) and it has a deep learning curve that'll blow your mind. I can do stuff with my fxs that you can't get or do with the dedicated pedals. It has 200 presets burned in and 200 user presets (copy of those burned in but writable) so there's plenty to fool around with.

There's a cheaper pedal, the Digitech 355 that's got a lot of raves. That one has drum loops built in.

My fav pedal is my Adrenalinn III which is a beat synced mfx-amp modeling-drums box. It's wild.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I'd go with a multi effects unit every time. For me they're better as I don't use effects that often, but when I do I want a full range that I can play with.

Single units are good if you have a very specific sound you're after, but if you want flexibility a multi fx unit is the only way to go.

I have a Boss ME50 and would definitely recommend you check out their range when you're shopping around.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by coolstoryangus
I just think really the cube should have enough stuff for you to play with. The multi fx processors wont have that much more stuff.

???

100+ effects compared to the cube?
Nah, I'd rather 20 individual of very high quality

to be honest, i'd agree with that statement, but i'm at the point where the only pedals i really like are all 200+ (most being around 300-400) so it'd end up costing around 3k plus.

thats a no no right now.
Quote by madh4ttr
the whole cliche gets old "tone comes from your fingers". while true to a certain point, dont discount quality equipment. multi-effects do not sound as good as individual pedals (opinion again and most agree) and is not hype BUT only you know what you will like better

Please take into account we're advising a guy who:

• Has just taken up guitar playing
  • Who claims to have no specific preference in style of music
  • it will take him ten more years before very good equipment will pay off and give an edge, I guess he better starts practicing his F chord and see how he holds up before going to the boutique market
  • just my 2c
Quote by eSdaze
Please take into account we're advising a guy who:

• Has just taken up guitar playing
  • Who claims to have no specific preference in style of music
  • it will take him ten more years before very good equipment will pay off and give an edge, I guess he better starts practicing his F chord and see how he holds up before going to the boutique market
  • just my 2c

1. True, but I'm trying very hard and I'm serious about learning to play and play right. With help from my teacher and all the loads of info online its nothing but the open road.
2. I have plenty of preferences in music I listen to (just none for playing cause I can't play a whole lot yet) I'm trying to open up to everything and see what else there is out there. I'm very much a fan of Metal, Hardcore, Punk and everything in between. I have been trying to listen to some Blues and Country and there's quite a bit I have been enjoying.
3. Maybe so, but in ten years at least I will have good gear when I'm there. Yeah we have went over f barre chord, and yes, its a p.i.t.a.
4. Thanks for the input! no really, your right but it never hurts to buy the right stuff from the start and not backpedal and waste money down the line, that's all I'm trying to accomplish here. Just some advice from people with 100X more experience.then me.
Last edited by nickni at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by nickni
3. Maybe so, but in ten years at least I will have good gear when I'm there. Yeah we have went over f barre chord, and yes, its a p.i.t.a.

The problem is you may have high quality gear that doesn't do what you want it to do.
And at the moment it doesn't really look like you know what you want other than general effects.

I'd say get a cheaper [slightly] multieffects, maybe a lower range model of the ones you are looking at and work out what you use and what you don't.
In a few years you might not want anything more, you might want a better multieffects, or who knows, you might even want fifty boutique pedals.
But at the moment, when you don't seem to know what you want it seems foolish to spend a lot of money on something that you may not use.
RIP Gooze

cats
The idea of buying some good gear and then you are there is a myth. Buy what you want and have fun. You never know what piece of gear is going to speak to you and your personal needs. Exploration is half the fun. Buying gear used is a good way to explore and not lose much money. If you get a good deal on the used market you can use it for 6 months to a year and turn it over for even money or little loss.
Quote by fly135
The idea of buying some good gear and then you are there is a myth. Buy what you want and have fun. You never know what piece of gear is going to speak to you and your personal needs. Exploration is half the fun. Buying gear used is a good way to explore and not lose much money. If you get a good deal on the used market you can use it for 6 months to a year and turn it over for even money or little loss.

Yeah thats good advice. I tryed to look for what I wanted on the local craigslist st louis but not much luck. I just missed a podhd500 for 385.
The TC Electronics TC Nova is in my opinion all just about anyone would ever really need. It is just in a word awesome.
Quote by fly135
Buy a multifx with a loop like the HD500 or RP1000 and you can add separate pedals to fill out the tones you can't quite get. For reference on used prices I got my used RP1000 for $225 and my buddy sold his HD500 for $350.

I have a whole pedalboard in the loop of my RP1000. One advantage is that the loop is buffered and tone loss issues due to loading is eliminated.

We really need a sticky'd multifx comparison that details the pro and cons of each.

Why did he sell it?

good idea. I think I might start working on that....
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by 00_hns_00
???

100+ effects compared to the cube?

A beginner does not need 100+ effects. 100+ effects will just distract from what a beginner needs to do which is to practice and get skills up.
Honestly, I recommend a Boss GT-10 to everyone. This beauty is not something for modelling (albeit it has few) but you got all the famous pedals yon imagine, and each of the pedals INDIVIDUALLY are fully costumizable. And in Manual mode you can treat the board as individual stompboxes with up to 4 stopmboxes, 2 effect and you can switch extra 2, plus a FV and Wah pedal. I LITERALLY couldnt ask for more. The tone? Perfect. From Blues, to acoustic, to clean and to brootalz. + It's tuner is best thing i've ever had. On-par with Boss individual chromatic tuner.
Quote by coolstoryangus
A beginner does not need 100+ effects. 100+ effects will just distract from what a beginner needs to do which is to practice and get skills up.

You good sir, are acting like a douche. When I started playing, I didnt want to learn shit loads of theory. I wanted to play songs I know. Not to love metal and be forced to play a nylon string guitar. A good Multi FX can encourage a player to play songs they like. How would you play the songs you like the way they sound without a good board? First song I learned to play was One by Metallica. You think I would like that song, or ANYONE would like that song without a bunch of good OD/Chorus pedals?
Page 1 of 3