First off this is solely to get some opinions on the subject, but my friend keeps telling me that the beatles were more important to rock music than Jimi Hendrix, But I told him no way!
The beatles were definitely more influential to pop, but Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced helped usher in music where guitar became the primary instrument instead of just in the background. So what do yall think?
From a mainstream standpoint- the beatles. From a guitarist starndpoint- Jimi.
It just seems that Hendrix's music was more riff-oriented, a main part of rock music.
Quote by Stevenlazer1
Both suck!

Different people like different music no reason to be like that
The Beatles every time. Jimi influenced guitar players; whereas the Beatles influenced everybody.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
you cant forget th eimpact hendrix had on producers...hes albums have such weird dynamics its incredible and its definantly becuase of him that i like to record music
The Beatles and it's not even really close.

Quote by '93
you cant forget th eimpact hendrix had on producers...hes albums have such weird dynamics its incredible and its definantly becuase of him that i like to record music

lol. George Martin is kind of a big deal when it comes to revolutionizing production. Hendrix isn't even a blip on that radar.
Yeah but other bands were doing the same things as the beatles were at the time, at least until they doing their really lsd influenced crazy stuff, but not until after jimi arrived on the scene. No one used sounded like jimi at the time. So he made more of impact individually instead of just being the most popular band of an already going movement...
I guess I mean Hendrix was more influential and revolutionary towards real rock, like AC/DC, Van Halen and Dio, not pop music in the guise of rock....
Quote by neidnarb11890
Bob Dylan

This. Also i think of the Beatles as a band that inspired alot more popish vocal styles of music and Hendrix was more of an inspiration towards people who play rock & blues. While i do enjoy and listen more to Hendrix now i was raised on the Beatles.
Hendrix to some people, Beatles to others.

Some like neither.

As with so many thread in these forums, each person has their own preference and will have their own influences.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Music wise, Hendrix might have been more influential, but the Beatles changed the way people think about music.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Music wise, Hendrix might have been more influential, but the Beatles changed the way people think about music.

Yeah I'm talking about the music, for the sake of the argument I don't care what people think of the music, just the music itself..
Quote by bradulator
The Beatles every time. Jimi influenced guitar players; whereas the Beatles influenced everybody.

+1
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Jimi was awesome. The Beatles were awesome.

Beatles made some cool music, and didn't die as young as Jimi did.
Jimi played some awesome music, but then died due to drug overdose.

Both were influential but I say the Beatles had a far greater impact on the Music industry than Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix was the most influential musician of recent history I believe. I have been on a personal quest to learn as much about music as I can, and I see traits of Hendrix everywhere. Of course, the Beatles were also very influential, but just not as much so as Hendrix in my opinion.
Quote by NGD1313
The Beatles and it's not even really close.

lol. George Martin is kind of a big deal when it comes to revolutionizing production. Hendrix isn't even a blip on that radar.

youve ever heard jimis records through earphones...man the sounds are totally shifting everywhere. thats true psychadelia
Quote by '93
youve ever heard jimis records through earphones...man the sounds are totally shifting everywhere. thats true psychadelia

Quote by turncoat60%

??

dude i get such a natural high form listening to his albums...its so awesome
I also get that natural high. It seems like those who are truly into Hendrix have an almost "religious" experience when listening to him. So those who are influenced by him, are almost as influenced as much as someone who has been touched by God or something.
I have religious experiences when I listen to My Bloody Valentine.
It's as if I'm being...touched by God.

my bloody valentine are awesome...only started listening to them recently. from what i can gather he made all that sound using just a jaguar and an overdriven amp. now thats cool