hey guys. I just recently started using a metronome and I'm really not sure how to use one to an actual song rather than whatever chord progression I mess around with. I'm trying to learn this portugal the man song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKO40VBDZY ) and I have no clue how to guess what it's bpm could be, and tap seems hard because of how uneven the beat is i guess, not really sure how to describe it yet. Any help would be really appreciated.

Edit: rather than make a new thread, might as well ask here. One of the chords in this song is an Eb thats x6888x low to high, and holy hell is it hard to fit 3 fingers in the 8th fret without the huge stretch to 6. Do you see any easier way to finger this?
Last edited by RicketyCricket at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by RicketyCricket
hey guys. I just recently started using a metronome and I'm really not sure how to use one to an actual song rather than whatever chord progression I mess around with. I'm trying to learn this portugal the man song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKO40VBDZY ) and I have no clue how to guess what it's bpm could be, and tap seems hard because of how uneven the beat is i guess, not really sure how to describe it yet. Any help would be really appreciated.

Edit: rather than make a new thread, might as well ask here. One of the chords in this song is an Eb thats x6888x low to high, and holy hell is it hard to fit 3 fingers in the 8th fret without the huge stretch to 6. Do you see any easier way to finger this?

As far as the bpm's it sounds to be about 70. With the chord, you could try just playing the 8's without the 6th fret. You'd still have all the notes that form the Eb chord.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
just barre all the strings in the 8th fret with the same finger, I can never understand why people insist on using 3 fingers
The beat isn't uneven at all. The drum beat is simple, emphasizing beats 2 and 4. If you're new to counting rhythms, it can be challenging. When you listen to music, just start counting it, tap your foot or something. When you move on to more complex time signatures you'll see it's more difficult, but it'll improve your sense of rhythm.

The tempo is very close to 80 bpm in that song.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
thanks for all the help guys. so is figuring out the bpm always that inexact? sounds a little confusing, won't the metronome eventually go off the song if it's not just right?

and I never insisted on using 3 fingers, I'd just never heard of barring with anything other than the first finger. it's not too hard with my 2nd finger but then when I reach for the 6th fret with the first finger, my 2nd bends and i'm not putting enough pressure on the B string. my 3rd finger feels way to weak to even barre at all. which should i practice? thanks again.
ok, use your third finger and push up wards slightly to bend the joint on your finger closest to the knuckle. It will take practice to get all three strings sounding cleanly. Dont barre the 6th fret with your 1st finger but just fret the 5th string
Yeah, a metronome will most likely go out of time eventually if you have it on top of a song, especially if the original recording wasn't done to a metronome. The point of a metronome is to play a piece/sequence without anything in the background except the quarter note beat.
Ahhhh ok, that makes it a lot more clear. Just one more thing, when you practice playing a song to a metronome you're not quite practicing the timing of the song yet? How do you do that if you want to play a song perfectly?
I play along with guitar pro at increasing speeds. I guess when youve got it down you could play along to the CD and use drums as your metronome
I don't quite understand the question. What do you mean by timing? Metronome has everything to do with timing.
Of course but if it's not in time with the song how can you use it to learn the timing of the song?
You can play any song at any BPM. Most songs consist of full notes, half notes, quarter notes, eight notes and so on. You play those notes in relation to the quarter note beat provided by the metronome. I can't explain it very well through text, especially because I'm not a native speaker. Sorry.
Not at all, you're really helpful. Thanks for that. say you want to play a really complex song as perfectly as possible, do you not use a metronome to make sure every note is in the right place at the right time? How do you go about doing that then?