I've been looking at some used guitars online and recently ordered a road worn. i figured it already looks worn even if it is used no scratches or dents would be prominent what i didn't realize that the road worn series are MIM now it was supposed to be delivered today but the idiot at GC did not put my street number on the label so it must be shipped back. I called GC and they said they can either refund me or as soon as they get it back they can expedite it back to me over night. I am now having 2nd thoughts... should i go for the road worn or should i get a hwy 1? i found a hwy 1 in the color i like and its the exact same price ($500) both of these are used guitars. Unfortunately i live waaaaaaaaay out in the country in Canada and dont have the opportunity to go out and play them, i order stuff to my sister's in a border city at the states and once a month she drives up my purchases when she sees me. I looked at brand new prices and the road worn series sell for $900 and the hwy sell for about $700 yet both used cost $500. the road worn seems like a better deal but the hwy1 seems to hold is value better possibly even appreciate (perhaps 15-20yrs down the line?) What do u think i should go for?
For the same price, I'd go for the road worn. It's a better guitar all-around, except the aesthetics which are in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind them but obviously a lot of people are going to post in this thread telling you they're hideous and not to buy one. That's your call, but there's a reason that the roadworn series costs more new even though they're not made in the US. They're made better, sound better, play better. It's not a huge difference, but why pay the same amount for something inferior?

As to darkflame's post - the roadworn have a nitro finish as well. Looks better...depends on what you like, but that's reasonable. As for resale - you are getting the better end of the resale. Unless you trash either of these guitars, you'll be able to sell them for about the same price you bought them for. Neither of these guitars is going to drop significantly more in value as time goes on. The roadworn loses a lot initially because the looks are a bit odd, so there's less demand, but the damage is done. It's not going to keep dropping steeply after the initial hit.

The roadworn has slightly less resale, as you saw, but neither of them are going to appreciate in any meaningful way in 15 or 20 years. They're mass-produced guitars - even the American standard Fenders aren't really going to go up in value, these certainly won't. If you want to make money buying and selling things, get into stocks. Waiting 20 years for a guitar to go from 500 to 1200 would be a bad investment even if you knew it was going to happen, which you don't. Neither of these guitars are rare enough or prestigious enough to become more valuable in the future.
Quote by Roc8995
For the same price, I'd go for the road worn. It's a better guitar all-around, except the aesthetics which are in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind them but obviously a lot of people are going to post in this thread telling you they're hideous and not to buy one. That's your call, but there's a reason that the roadworn series costs more new even though they're not made in the US. They're made better, sound better, play better. It's not a huge difference, but why pay the same amount for something inferior?

As to darkflame's post - the roadworn have a nitro finish as well. Looks better...depends on what you like, but that's reasonable. As for resale - you are getting the better end of the resale. Unless you trash either of these guitars, you'll be able to sell them for about the same price you bought them for. Neither of these guitars is going to drop significantly more in value as time goes on. The roadworn loses a lot initially because the looks are a bit odd, so there's less demand, but the damage is done. It's not going to keep dropping steeply after the initial hit.

The roadworn has slightly less resale, as you saw, but neither of them are going to appreciate in any meaningful way in 15 or 20 years. They're mass-produced guitars - even the American standard Fenders aren't really going to go up in value, these certainly won't. If you want to make money buying and selling things, get into stocks. Waiting 20 years for a guitar to go from 500 to 1200 would be a bad investment even if you knew it was going to happen, which you don't. Neither of these guitars are rare enough or prestigious enough to become more valuable in the future.

i certainly dont want to make money off it, but i dont like to put too much of my own money into my hobbies, i actually saved up for this guitar buy selling previous gear that i also purchased used and had made a profit on. I never thought it would appreciate in value tremendously but i figured that the hwy1 being american may be more desired one day, but your right i should live in the present. I dont mind the look of the road worn at all, i actually kind of like it, my own guitars would never reach that level of wear, i baby all of my gear.
I'd still love to hear more opinions but you made a great case for the road worn, right now I am leaning towards that. Perhaps 5yrs down the road when I am a bit more financially set I'll purchase a brand new custom shop.
Good, I didn't think you were approaching it that way, but we get that question fairly often in here, always in a misguided context. Looks like you've found the best way to be frugal about your hobbies - buy something you're going to keep around for a long time. If you're going to have a guitar for 20 years, it hardly matters what it cost initially if it saves you from buying and selling a whole bunch of others, even if you don't lose money on them.

Good luck! Either of these are excellent guitars, you'll enjoy either one.
I've played a Highway One once, and it was amazing to say the least. I usually play Ibanez Prestige, so I think that says a lot. I regret not buying it, it was only $450 used but mint.

I don't see a MiM strat touching it, and I have a really good MiM strat.
Quote by W4RP1G
I've played a Highway One once, and it was amazing to say the least. I usually play Ibanez Prestige, so I think that says a lot. I regret not buying it, it was only $450 used but mint.

I don't see a MiM strat touching it, and I have a really good MiM strat.

see this is why I am so torn between the two... the other thing is, u can get a MIM strat for less than $300 used so buyin a road worn may not be a good idea. But I am thinking as if all MIM's are made equal. I am now leaning towards the highway 1 again... also Long and mcquade has road worns for 750 so the original, iam getting a better deal for the road worn, doesnt really stand. I truly wish i could play both of em but its atleast a 2hr drive to the nearest music store and 2 and something for the nearest GC and it requires me crossing the border... maybe i will make some time next week and see if its possible to get over the river.

i've now added american special's to the list too however I am kinda leaning towards hwy1 cause i can get it in the color i want. There are also a few american std's in the same price range as well, should i go for those?
Last edited by zamanakhan at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by zamanakhan
see this is why I am so torn between the two... the other thing is, u can get a MIM strat for less than $300 used so buyin a road worn may not be a good idea. But I am thinking as if all MIM's are made equal. I am now leaning towards the highway 1 again... also Long and mcquade has road worns for 750 so the original, iam getting a better deal for the road worn, doesnt really stand. I truly wish i could play both of em but its atleast a 2hr drive to the nearest music store and 2 and something for the nearest GC and it requires me crossing the border... maybe i will make some time next week and see if its possible to get over the river.

i've now added american special's to the list too however I am kinda leaning towards hwy1 cause i can get it in the color i want. There are also a few american std's in the same price range as well, should i go for those?

If it helps, I think the wood was far superior in the Highway one. It was one of the lightest solid body guitars I've ever picked up and just sang. The fretwork was also superb, but it was second hand so it could have been worked on.