Ok so I've been looking to upgrade from this 15w Kustom amp I've had since I've started playing guitar and I've always liked that tone that comes out of Fender amps. I've looked at a few options and it really comes down between a Fender Super Champ XD and a Fender Frontman 212r. Now Im leaning towards the Frontman as it has a midrange knob and I don't care much for the voicings and FX that come on the XD. I play mostly Punk Rock, Alternative, Metal, Classic Rock, and some Blues. Now the only thing keeping me from buying the Frontman is that I've heard it doesn't take pedals well. I have a Boss DS-2 and a Boss Super Chorus. I need to know how well it sounds as I use those pedals alot. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR - I want to buy a Fender Frontman 212r. Will it take a Boss DS-2 well?

EDIT: Oh yea and if you can recommend some other amp that may suit me better that would be greatly appreciated. (Fender Preferably :P) I've been playing for two years (I'm 14 btw) and I mainly will be using this for practice and for jamming although I'm looking to start a band once I find a decent drummer :P.
Last edited by whitboyfunksuks at Oct 1, 2011,
What is your budget? IMO, solid state amps and distortion pedals sound like poo. A Blues Junior might be in your budget and a better option (I have no clue what the Frontman goes for).

Another thing (once again, my opinion): Getting an amp that is Fender doesn't mean you will get the Fender sound. Solid state amps (modeling amps aside) more or less sound the same no matter what brand they are.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Don't bother with the Frontman unless your looking to use it only for cleans. It doesn't really do well with any kinda of built in distortion setting. What's your budget?
Champ XD.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Ghold125
Don't bother with the Frontman unless your looking to use it only for cleans. It doesn't really do well with any kinda of built in distortion setting. What's your budget?

I've got a max of around 300 USD but I can go up to 400 if I have to.
And the Frontman goes for around $250 to $300
Thanks for the replies btw!
Check your local craigslist for a used Blues Junior, they pop up all the time. Fender sound, tubes, and they loooooove pedals. A brand new one would be $400, but like I said you should have no trouble finding them used.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i love the 212r, yes, the distortion is awful, but any good distortion pedal will do..

and thats more than enough power you will ever need =]
Opus Pocus =]
Quote by whitboyfunksuks
I'll keep the Blues Junior in mind, I'm still looking for something more Punk Rock-ish.

What bands/guitar players/songs/whatever did you have in mind? I think of Marshall when I think punk rock, but thats just me (theres a ton of other options).
Quote by souperman08
What bands/guitar players/songs/whatever did you have in mind? I think of Marshall when I think punk rock, but thats just me (theres a ton of other options).

Melvins, Nirvana, The Wipers, Pixies etc.
I never really liked Marshall, they've never seemed very "unique" to me but then again thats just my opinion. I want something loud as I don't want to be buying another amp once I get a band started up. What do you think of a HotRod Deluxe III? I might get that if I can find one cheap enough.
Quote by whitboyfunksuks
Melvins, Nirvana, The Wipers, Pixies etc.
I never really liked Marshall, they've never seemed very "unique" to me but then again thats just my opinion. I want something loud as I don't want to be buying another amp once I get a band started up. What do you think of a HotRod Deluxe III? I might get that if I can find one cheap enough.

Awesome amps. I personally associate them more with blues, but they would definitely have enough gain to be able to do what you're looking for.

Whats your nearest city/zip code? I might be able to help you find some other stuff to at least try out.
Quote by souperman08
Awesome amps. I personally associate them more with blues, but they would definitely have enough gain to be able to do what you're looking for.

Whats your nearest city/zip code? I might be able to help you find some other stuff to at least try out.

I live near Atlanta, theres a guitar center I can goto to try out some amps.
A Blues Jnr cranked up until you get power amp distortion will get a fine punk sound - you just have to play them nice and loud - and let's face it, if it aint loud, it aint punk.

Stay away from the Frontman, they are complete junk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ghold125

thanks man, and like I said I have a DS-2 for all my distortion. Im really liking the Bassman.
Quote by whitboyfunksuks
thanks man, and like I said I have a DS-2 for all my distortion. Im really liking the Bassman.

Every one of those CL postings would be an awesome amp, I would highly recommend at least trying out a Peavey Classic. Awesome amps, I gigged with one for quite awhile.
If you know what's good for you, you wont buy a 212r. I attempted to buy one and had to send it back twice because it fails. When the gain is turned up and the volume is like past 3 it makes a real high screeching noise. So I just said forget and went for a different amp.
listen to Cathbard... pearls of wisdom
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1