57 33%
I'm naturally talented at sucking
34 20%
I sort of have a bit of talent for some stuff
80 47%
Voters: 171.
Page 1 of 3
Sup Pit,

Are you naturally talented at most things you do? Or do you suck at everything and have to work for ages to get better at stuff?

Poll incoming.
I don't have any natural talent whatsoever. I was born as that idiot that can't do anything right.

Edit: I hate the entire concept of natural talent, even if it is partially true. I hate being that "I have a gift" or "You either have it or you don't".
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by slipknot5678
I don't have any natural talent whatsoever. I was born as that idiot that can't do anything right.

Edit: I hate the entire concept of natural talent, even if it is partially true. I hate being that "I have a gift" or "You either have it or you don't".

Why? Some people are clearly naturally adept at specific things.
I'm not naturally talented but I learn and become proficient in things very quickly.

Except of course, math.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

No but I know two people like that. One of them is masters league on sc2, went to MI, freaking owns at ssbm, mtg, and basically everything else he does. The other friend is going to school for music as well, he's a jazz drummer though. He played with some drum corp, don't remember which one, is awesome at gaming, awesome at juggling, everyone likes him, etc. I think I'm SLIGHTLY above average in everything I do, but not great at anything.
sunbather is shit
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Why? Some people are clearly naturally adept at specific things.

I admitted it was true, but I wouldn't take any pride in "having a gift". Being told that feeds peoples' egos, and to be honest, I am just a little jealous that I don't have any natural talent and people are always going to be better than me at pretty much anything.

The "you either have it or you don't" annoys me because it discourages people from doing what they feel passionate about. Sometimes, it is sadly true; you will never sing if you are a mute (for example), but it doesn't mean that most people shouldn't try because they weren't born with some silly "gift".

Edit: And then there's those people that are just good at everything without putting in the effort that most people do. I don't have anything against these people (except the cocky ones), but I do dislike how you can be ranked on how "gifted" you are, and people base all your qualities based on what you were born with.
Quote by slipknot5678
I admitted it was true, but I wouldn't take any pride in "having a gift". Being told that feeds peoples' egos, and to be honest, I am just a little jealous that I don't have any natural talent and people are always going to be better than me at pretty much anything.

The "you either have it or you don't" annoys me because it discourages people from doing what they feel passionate about. Sometimes, it is sadly true; you will never sing if you are a mute (for example), but it doesn't mean that most people shouldn't try because they weren't born with some silly "gift".

Edit: And then there's those people that are just good at everything without putting in the effort that most people do. I don't have anything against these people (except the cocky ones), but I do dislike how you can be ranked on how "gifted" you are, and people base all your qualities based on what you were born with.

Well you know what, I'm sorry you weren't a winner of the genetic lottery. Maybe we'll breed you out.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Well you know what, I'm sorry you weren't a winner of the genetic lottery. Maybe we'll breed you out.

I know this sounds pathetic, but I was at one point seriously depressed about this for six years (this wasn't the only thing, I'm not that stupid), which is why I'm so butthurt right now (I hope I don't sound butthurt).

Anyway, even if you are joking, it is true. I'm not depressed and I don't want to die, but it would of been best for everybody if I would have died years ago. I have no talents and nothing to contribute.

Edit: And to be honest, I kind of hope people like me are bred off. This is one of my main reason for never wanting to have children.
Normally, yeah, but I'm only human, I suck at a lot of things too. I just choose not to get myself into situations where I'm likely to make a fool of myself. Naturally, I'm pretty good when it comes to visual art, driving, music, video games, talking with people, debating, etc. Competitive sports aren't really my thing, but I love running and exercising. I'm happy with where I'm at.
people tell me that all the time...but they dont seem to understand that i spend alot of time working on things like my technique on the guitar or studying for my classes or my circuits study and programming cooking etc.

people seem to think that im suddenly just good at it instead of staying up long nights or doing things over until it comes out right and i am good at it

edit:i do however suck at writing not the content i can write well(passed all the english ap tests i took with 4s and my englis tachers usually praise me on my work) but the actual letters and such i cannot for the life on me write legibly no matter how much i try
Last edited by supersac at Oct 1, 2011,
I have a natural talent for beach volleyball. Pretty useless.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by slipknot5678

I know this sounds pathetic, but I was at one point seriously depressed about this for six years (this wasn't the only thing, I'm not that stupid), which is why I'm so butthurt right now (I hope I don't sound butthurt).

Anyway, even if you are joking, it is true. I'm not depressed and I don't want to die, but it would of been best for everybody if I would have died years ago. I have no talents and nothing to contribute.

Edit: And to be honest, I kind of hope people like me are bred off. This is one of my main reason for never wanting to have children.

Look at it in the right perspective. No matter how gifted somebody is, any conceivable contribution they will make means nothing in the end. Just do what you enjoy doing while you're here and fuck anyone who looks down on you for doing so. None of us are going to contribute anything that will be eternally lasting, so who cares if some assholes perceive that you aren't "contributing" anything? What are those assholes doing that is so awesome anyways?
Quote by slipknot5678

Dude, you're 15.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Natural talent is real. Some people pick things up faster than others. That's just the cards we're all dealt. But it's how you play them that matters.
Yes I am good at or have at some time been good at everything I have wanted to do and actually tried so far.

Then again I usually halfass things that seem to be too difficult and give up right away since I'm pretty unmotivated.
Quote by slipknot5678

Bro, that's no way to be thinking. I used to be naturally untalented at everything, but then I hit puberty and played as many sports as I could, and I magically gained co-ordination. Now I get told that I'm naturally talented at pretty much everything by my mates, but I still remember how I got here. Protip: Pick up some sports bro, you'll start to get more confident, fit and co-ordinated.

Pro-pro-tip: Pick up a manly Winter Sport. Winter Sports are rugged as fuck compared to Summer Sports. Straight up fuck darts, nigga.
Quote by devourke

Pro-pro-tip: Pick up a manly Winter Sport. Winter Sports are rugged as fuck compared to Summer Sports. Straight up fuck darts, nigga.

So, hockey. Good advice bro. Hockey solves everything.
Nobody is naturally talented, it just depends on how interested a person is. The more interested, the better.
Quote by slipknot5678

There's enough things that you can spend hours listing all the occupations a single company has - and that's just focusing on things that are fiscally oriented. There's tons of stuff in the world, you're fifteen, I can tell you, from not even five years ahead, I can say for sure that you in no ways have tried everything you're going to try in life.

I like to think that, however minute, niche, or unlikely, there's something out there for pretty much everyone, and if there isn't, make it. Keep trying new stuff, don't get depressed and jaded just because you haven't had the luck of the draw.

As for things being better if you died, I'll tell you right now that, from every single person I've heard say that, which is unfortunately a large number, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard any of them say. I could go into why, but I need sleep for tomorrow, so I don't want to get onto a huge rant.

But in essence, relax; you're fifteen, you've got decades to figure out what gets you off in life, you're not even done high school yet. I know how trite it is, but you haven't experienced much of the world yet - I haven't either - you've got something out there, you just have to find it. Besides, having to work the entire way instead of having a leg-up in the beginning makes it all the sweeter when you're up right there with them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Rocka4life
Nobody is naturally talented, it just depends on how interested a person is. The more interested, the better.

You mad, bro.
I won't lie, I've been avoiding this thread so that I wouldn't offend anybody, but I feel like it would be rude to not acknowledge everyone's posts.

@Thrastastic: I've always known that nothing matters, and I don't think anybody really looks down on me. I'm just insignificant. That being said I don't mean to be complaining about first world problems (sort of) and I think I'm coming off as more pessimistic than I am intending to.

@Eppicurt: I know, but I really don't think it matters what my age is. I can still conclude that I am bad at everything and that I don't have a "gift" for anything.

@devourke: I'm sorry, but that's just a bad idea. Sports are some of the things I'm the very worst at (by the way, I'm not just untalented, I'm that kid that can barely tie his shoes right) and even in standard American gym class I offend everybody with my lack of adequate skills. That would never work. I'm all for physical training but competitive sports is one of the worst things I could participate in.

That being said, hockey is the only sport that doesn't bore me horribly. But I can't even stand up on rollerblades, I'd never last in hockey.

Edit:@ Necrosis: I know. I'm not trying to come off as depressed or anything, and it's not like I've just given up. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm that guy that will have trouble keeping a job at Wal Mart or McDonald's because I'm just not really good at anything (that I'm aware of)

I'm really sorry about my rants, guys.

And I really mean I'm sorry; reading through this was like reading a 2009 post. I need to watch my wording.
It's clearly a thing that exists, but our culture places too much emphasis on it and romanticises it too much. That's why you get idiots on talent shows who instead of taking the long route of practicing until they're good, have taken the shortcut of convincing themselves they're already naturally talented.

I think human beings in general are capable of learning most disciplines, and occasionally one of them finds it easier than others, or accidentally stumbles into the correct techniques giving them a head start. The "you have it or you don't" thing is bollocks.

I don't think I'm naturally talented, I'm ridiculously inept at most things, it'd be incredibly dishonest for me to try and say that's what a talented person would be like. The handful of things I'm good at, I'm only good at because I aimed for something absurdly ambitious and desperately tried to work towards it, throwing away anything that wasn't good enough.

EDIT: @ slipknot5678
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by slipknot5678
I won't lie, I've been avoiding this thread so that I wouldn't offend anybody, but I feel like it would be rude to not acknowledge everyone's posts.

@devourke: I'm sorry, but that's just a bad idea. Sports are some of the things I'm the very worst at (by the way, I'm not just untalented, I'm that kid that can barely tie his shoes right) and even in standard American gym class I offend everybody with my lack of adequate skills. That would never work. I'm all for physical training but competitive sports is one of the worst things I could participate in.

That being said, hockey is the only sport that doesn't bore me horribly. But I can't even stand up on rollerblades, I'd never last in hockey.

I used to be that kid, bro, then I picked up Rugby. Started out as a prop because I was a solid unit for a kid (All fat), and because I was unco so I didn't need to do anything except run at people and fall down. Eventually I ended up getting co-ordinated somehow and ended up as a Hooker. (giggity) That's less of a portable meat truck role, and more of a co-ordinated person role (I wasn't as solid a unit by then because I lost most of my fat). Ended up playing a whole lot of sports and absorbing co-ordination out of all of them.

Just give it a go with an individual sport first if you don't want to let your team down. Even if you would. I'm pretty sure not many sports are that competitive at 15, just wait until you're in Prems or something. From my experience though, most people won't mind that you're unco, they'll just make a few jokes about you (In a lighthearted way, not a **** you way). You'll make new friends, learn new things and who knows, you might even find your passion.

Don't be scared to give it a go, bro.
Thanks everybody for the advice. I don't want to derail this any more, so I'll try to shut up. Anyway, I want everybody to know that I did not intend to draw this much attention to myself. My problems are nothing really; people born with serious handicaps are the ones that should be depressed, and I respect those who do what seems impossible to them.
I' somewhat talented in languages and math. I know, how exciting gifts.
I'm a fucking boss at everything.

Some things i'm good at, and some things i'm god-awfully shyte at. I don't bother working on what i'm crap at, i'd rather spend my time improving what i'm already good at to be perfect.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
I don't believe in natural talent. When people say someone is "naturally talented" that usually means that they practised more or more effectively as a kid.
It's a mix

I'm naturally talented at the flute. I can skip practicing for months at a time and still be quite good when I pick it up again. For the guitar, however, I have to work very hard and constantly practice to keep my skills up. I wish it was the other way around...

Quote by Rocka4life
Nobody is naturally talented

Yeah, everybody's brains are constructed exactly the same! Fuck science.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 1, 2011,
I'm quite talented at football. I don't play football anymore however. I guess I have some sort of talent for music as the music I write and make actually come out as quite good.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Zoot Allures
Captain beefheart was naturally talented.

Yeah, but he would be the only exception to the rule.
Nah, not really. Guitar is one hell of a challenge, I'm a pretty slow learner there. Getting better though.
I was usually pretty good in school, but I put that down to shed loads of effort and not mucking around in lessons, rather than any natural talent. Luckily, that carried across through uni as well, so came out with a decent grade at the end of it.

(Good at the science, and design tech parts. Useless at languages and maths. Again, I'd probably put it down to effort, motivation and enjoyment rather than talent).

I don't know anyone who is "naturally talented" at anything, although I've seen a few parents bandy that term around when they think their kid is a freakin genius or something...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Oct 1, 2011,
I'm not really comfortable with the term. But then again I'm never really sure how it applies because I was told there's a difference and a link between skill and natural talent. In a simplistic, and not so great way of putting it, if you're naturally talented at something then you pick it up quicker than someone who's not. Not to say you're better, but you'll just reach a skill level easier and most times quicker.

I hated being in school when I just picked up the guitar and within 2 years I could play on par with guys that have been playing for 6+ years. I was always told "Dude, you're a natural" or something along the lines.

I don't know, I'm just rambling now....
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Page 1 of 3