Right, so a friend and mine are wanting to go to Europe for 1-2 month holiday after we finish high school, so like December to January-ish. Still, there are some things we need to know, because neither of us have spent much time in the continent. So i have some questions for the European UG community:

1) I know its going to be winter when we go so how is the weather really around then, like in detail other than just say cold or mild?

On the plus side, accommodation and flights would be far cheaper just because its the off-season (or so i've heard) although, it would probably **** over the trip if we experienced daily rain.

I don't know if theres any truth to this but i've heard that European weather contrasts quite a bit, as in you could go to one country for skiing and then go somewhere more southerly for warmer weather. It's a nice thought but can any of you confirm or deny that?

2) Where to go and what to do in those areas?

Obviously we intend to check out the big countries and main cities but with max 2 months to spend, we probably intend to check out more parts of countries than just say going to France and seeing Paris or Spain and only Barcelona.

I made a list of the countries i'd like to see potentially:

UK
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
France
Germany
Italy
Greece
Switzerland
one of the Scandinavians countries?

What are some good cities/sights to see in those and any others you might recommend? Also, if you're from any other those particular places, what's there to do that particularly fun?

Some places are also renowned for being 'party cities' like Mykonos or Ibiza or Barcelona or London, does that die down during the winter months?

3) Probably the most specific yet the most debatable: wheres the best place to spend New Years?

I realised that we would likely spend the NYE abroad and as exciting as it sounds, we would have to decide where exactly we'd want to be. Where is the most happenin' place on NYE?

Hope its not too much to ask but its hard to find valid opinions over here and a lot of websites just seem like a country trying to sell itself. Thanks. Sorry for the essay, i hope the paragraphs help
It doesn't sound like you're heading east, but I can tell you, Moscow and St. Petersburg will be insane on New Years Eve.
Considering it's like 6 am Saturday morning in them parts, you may have to wait a few hours for coherent responses.
Well i was thinking of going to Russia, checking out the motherland but apparently my friends parents wouldn't want him going there. In fact, when my brother did, my Russian grandmother was worried he might get killed and his internal organs sold on the black market.

Surely thats bullshit though, right?
Winter in every country east/north from Germany CAN be very cold, but it might not be. Definetely the weather contrasts a lot.

And yea, Moscow and St. Petersburg parties a lot, but I suggest St. P., Moscow is more expensive, and farther.
Quote by MakinLattes
Considering it's like 6 am Saturday morning in them parts, you may have to wait a few hours for coherent responses.

Seems so, only dawned upon me after i made it. If anything i can just bump it later when its a better time.

@Zeletros - Define cold, just cold winds or heavy and frequent rain? the first is definitely tolerable but the latter might screw up the experience a bit.
i used to live in france. and it does get pretty cold. i went on an 'eurotrip' myself. my favorite places where Italy and Austria, i wish i could've gone to Spain, Barcelona sounds like an awesome place. anyway, Paris is a must, some cool museums, as far as France goes, it's mostly just Paris and countryside. yes, there's a good amount of 'cities', but chances are they are not really your concept of 'city'. still, ****ing awesome, toulouse, metz, nantes, niza. i also absolutely loved italy, everything was so warm and awesome, verone, venezia, florence.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Seems so, only dawned upon me after i made it. If anything i can just bump it later when its a better time.

@Zeletros - Define cold, just cold winds or heavy and frequent rain? the first is definitely tolerable but the latter might screw up the experience a bit.

Cold?

Very bright sun and clear sky, occasional wind, but very very cold temperature. It's actually much warmer when it snows.

Also,

You don't get your internal organs sold on the black market if you go to Russia. But you know, it depends on the place. Western Russia is an up-to-date society, eastern, not sure.
Quote by cubs
i used to live in france. and it does get pretty cold. i went on an 'eurotrip' myself. my favorite places where Italy and Austria, i wish i could've gone to Spain, Barcelona sounds like an awesome place. anyway, Paris is a must, some cool museums, as far as France goes, it's mostly just Paris and countryside. yes, there's a good amount of 'cities', but chances are they are not really your concept of 'city'. still, ****ing awesome, toulouse, metz, nantes, niza. i also absolutely loved italy, everything was so warm and awesome, verone, venezia, florence.

Yes, i've heard good things about the countryside, where is it/what is it called?

Also what i wanted to hear about Italy. What about Naples, is that good?
in the UK go to cambridge, its an amazing city with a great history and it has a very "im at home atmosphere and london is also great but the atmosphere isnt great but there is so much to do in london.
Quote by TOMMYB22

1) I know its going to be winter when we go so how is the weather really around then, like in detail other than just say cold or mild?

On the plus side, accommodation and flights would be far cheaper just because its the off-season (or so i've heard) although, it would probably **** over the trip if we experienced daily rain.

I don't know if theres any truth to this but i've heard that European weather contrasts quite a bit, as in you could go to one country for skiing and then go somewhere more southerly for warmer weather. It's a nice thought but can any of you confirm or deny that?

First paragraph: Yeah, that's true. Prices go up especially during the summer months, if you travel during say may or september you should be fine. I wouldn't really recommend travelling during winter, unless you like the cold.

Second paragraph: Well, yeah. Mediterranean areas will get hot in the summer, sometimes unpleasantly so. Scandinavia and eastern Europe can get really cold in the winter. I live in Stockholm and we hit temperatures below -10 easily. Up to +30 in the summer though.

You'll have to look climate up before you go.

Quote by TOMMYB22

2) Where to go and what to do in those areas?

Obviously we intend to check out the big countries and main cities but with max 2 months to spend, we probably intend to check out more parts of countries than just say going to France and seeing Paris or Spain and only Barcelona.

I made a list of the countries i'd like to see potentially:

UK
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
France
Germany
Italy
Greece
Switzerland
one of the Scandinavians countries?

What are some good cities/sights to see in those and any others you might recommend? Also, if you're from any other those particular places, what's there to do that particularly fun?

I'm too lazy to put down info on all of those. Hit up wikitravel.

If you come to Sweden though (and you should if you go scandinavia,, /endbias), go to Stockholm.

Quote by TOMMYB22

Some places are also renowned for being 'party cities' like Mykonos or Ibiza or Barcelona or London, does that die down during the winter months?

In big cities like London or Barcelona the party scene obviously exists all year round. In places like Ibiza however it's built on tourism, so I wouldn't go there in the winter. Especially since you'd having nowhere to spend your days, with the beaches being too cold.

I personally dislike these "party locations" - they're very artifical, and you'll only meet other tourists. There's a lot of booze and a lot of eurodance but that's about it.

Quote by TOMMYB22

3) Probably the most specific yet the most debatable: wheres the best place to spend New Years?

I realised that we would likely spend the NYE abroad and as exciting as it sounds, we would have to decide where exactly we'd want to be. Where is the most happenin' place on NYE?

I can't really attest to this, but if it were me I'd probably go Berlin or Paris. Maybe Barcelona. Barcelona and Berlin are my favourite clubbin towns anyway.

EDIT: Some general advice. Hitting up the capitals is cool - as long as you keep an open mind. Don't just do the typical stuff. Try to find the backside of the places you visit. Go to indie/jazz clubs. Find the old parts with the genuine cafés and restaurants. Talk to locals, let them give you tips, don't just mindlessly follow a guidebook. Track down a rave in an abandoned factory building and do some drugs.

I've done two eurotrips in my life, and the second was so much more enjoyable than the first because we dared look outside the normal tourist routes.

EDIT2: Wow, that's a lot of shit grammar. Whatever, I haven't had coffee yet.
Last edited by Ahteh at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by Ahteh
First paragraph: Yeah, that's true. Prices go up especially during the summer months, if you travel during say may or september you should be fine. I wouldn't really recommend travelling during winter, unless you like the cold.

Second paragraph: Well, yeah. Mediterranean areas will get hot in the summer, sometimes unpleasantly so. Scandinavia and eastern Europe can get really cold in the winter. I live in Stockholm and we hit temperatures below -10 easily. Up to +30 in the summer though.

You'll have to look climate up before you go.

I mean like in the winter, are there warmer areas in Europe? I don't mean like 30 degree hot but warmer still.

I'm too lazy to put down info on all of those. Hit up wikitravel.

If you come to Sweden though (and you should if you go scandinavia,, /endbias), go to Stockholm.

Was thinking Sweden

In big cities like London or Barcelona the party scene obviously exists all year round. In places like Ibiza however it's built on tourism, so I wouldn't go there in the winter. Especially since you'd having nowhere to spend your days, with the beaches being too cold.

I personally dislike these "party locations" - they're very artifical, and you'll only meet other tourists. There's a lot of booze and a lot of eurodance but that's about it.

I can't really attest to this, but if it were me I'd probably go Berlin or Paris. Maybe Barcelona. Barcelona and Berlin are my favourite clubbin towns anyway.

What i wanted to know. I expected that though, even in winter the clubs in Sydney are still alive, even though our weather is a lot more mild comparatively.

EDIT: Some general advice. Hitting up the capitals is cool - as long as you keep an open mind. Don't just do the typical stuff. Try to find the backside of the places you visit. Go to indie/jazz clubs. Find the old parts with the genuine cafés and restaurants. Talk to locals, let them give you tips, don't just mindlessly follow a guidebook. Track down a rave in an abandoned factory building and do some drugs.

I've done two eurotrips in my life, and the second was so much more enjoyable than the first because we dared look outside the normal tourist routes.

EDIT2: Wow, that's a lot of shit grammar. Whatever, I haven't had coffee yet.

YES! THIS! This is what i wanted to find out about, i need to find these indie/jazz/drug factory cafes, anyone who knows of these kinds of awesome local places please tell.
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Oct 1, 2011,
The warmest places hover around 10 degrees in the winter as far as I know. A little higher possibly. So not exactly ideal.

By the way, your profile says you're a 94. Unless you like getting bounced and/or don't like clubs/bars I'd recommend not going til you're 18. Fancier clubs will have higher age limits (In Stockholm 23+ and 25+ clubs are all over the place), but you don't want to go there anyway.

On a different note: When I travel in Europe like 30-40% of people I meet are australian. You guys seem to like it here. Not that it's a bad thing, they've all been cool.
Last edited by Ahteh at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by Ahteh
On a different note: When I travel in Europe like 30-40% of people I meet are australian. You guys seem to like it here. Not that it's a bad thing, they've all been cool.

If you lived in Australia you'd know why they all want to leave.
Quote by devourke
If you lived in Australia you'd know why they all want to leave.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about leaving Australia and heading to Europe.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Edinburgh for New Year Hogmanay is the place to be
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Alter-Bridge
There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about leaving Australia and heading to Europe.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't think how unlucky you poor Australians are, having to live in Australia. The only reason I can see for staying is for the babes.
Dont go to Switzerland, its ridiculously expensive, spend more time in other parts of Europe.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Well, the UK is omgwtf kind of cold in winter, like anywhere between 2 degrees and -10 round here. Go to London, Edinburgh, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Dublin and maybe Feurteventura. They're probably the best/most happening cities in Europe. As said before, Moscow is pretty well known for its NYE celebrations.
Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by LostLegion
Go to Iceland

This.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
well... i met an australian girl in a hostel about a week ago and she was complaining that england sucks, is too cold (we're having a major heat wave), boring and just like australia but smaller and more of a police state.
so...
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th