So I'm a freshman music business major and I want to get into recording some. I think I want to get logic pro, and I have a macbook pro and a shure sm58 that works pretty damn well recording guitars and vocals. Beyond that exactly what do I need as far as mics, mixers, etc. do I need and which ones should I check out? My budget isn't huge but I'll throw down up to 2 grand if I really need to. Thanks
Don't pirate stuff. It's just bad practice.

Depends exactly what you want to do man. Rock, acoustic, hip hop.

Without more info I can't give a great answer.
But
Don't get a mixer. Stay in the box for now. People will bitch about outboard this and that. blah blah but if your on a budget ignore them. You can get great results.
A fire wire interface is a good bet, how big depends on what exactly you want to do. Full drums, full band etc.
Also you'll need to hear yourself. Monitor. Like some Truth or KRK's
And mic should get you started. Condenser for vocals. Recording is expensive. worth it but expensive.

If you give me some info on what sort of music you want to record I can try and help you out a little more direction.

Cheers
Quote by hellraiser11
what do I need as far as mics, mixers, etc. do I need and which ones should I check out? My budget isn't huge but I'll throw down up to 2 grand if I really need to. Thanks

Two grand is a really respectable budget.

You NEED a pair of monitors to mix with. Stereo speakers don't give you an honest representation of what your source material *really* sounds like. With a respectable budget like that, I would try to stay away from anything less than about $600 for the pair, but once you get up to that price range, you have a few good options.

You *probably* don't need a mixer, but I used to find having one useful for the way my setup was configured before I upgraded.

A couple of things we NEED to know before we advise you much further:

-what will you be recording? Church choirs on location? Just you singing and playing guitar in your bedroom? A full-on metal band in your basement? Chilean percussion ensembles at your local church?

-with your initial needs considered, what would your longer-term needs be? Will you be happy with just the Chilean percussion ensemble, or do you want to - at some point - record full-on metal bands in your basement too?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah, sorry I didn't include that info. I would be doing recording on rock/ alternative type stuff. So mic'ing a whole drum set would be required. I'd like to maybe record the occasional wind instrument but mainly just the guitar, bass, vocals, and drums. And it would be mainly at home, in my basement. Thanks guys.
To be honest, before you drop a bunch of money on gear, get the basics first to get a true feel for what you need.

An interface is usually the first place to start, since you have your computer. Since you mentioned drums, I would recommend one like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-US-1800-USB-2-0-Audio-Midi-Interface-106506520-i1562924.gc
Theres a few similar ones, some firewire and some usb. Spend some time reading up on an interface before you buy it. Read forums, reviews, youtube videos, everything. You don't want to buy the wrong interface, trust me.

Next would be monitors and headphones.
With headphones, you can get away with cheap ones just for tracking since you'll mix on the monitors. Guitar center has a lot of 'studio monitor' headphones for around 50$, and some of them have an extra long cable which is convenient. You could also step it up to the 100$ range, and use them along with monitors to cross reference.
Now for monitors, it gets kind of difficult. People will tell you all sorts of things. Some say you need at least 600 dollar monitors because cheaper ones aren't accurate. They aren't necessarily wrong, but not necessarily right. The thing with monitors is they are only as accurate as your room. If you have top notch monitors, and are mixing in your dorm room, you wasted your money. Unless you acoustically treat your room, any monitor isn't going to be 'accurate'. So get medium level monitors, such as krk rokits. They are still pretty accurate, and by checking your mixes with different stereos, you can tell whats off and mix accordingly I guarantee someone will call me out on this, but do some research on room acoustics yourself.

And for mics, the 58 will be good for guitars and other instruments. It can work for vocals, but I would recommend a condenser. There are tons on guitar center's website for all sorts of prices. But don't get sucked in here either, because for $100-$150 there are some really good quality mics. Read reviews and forums, and that should help you make your choice.
And for the drums, they have some good drum mic kits on GC. But you would be surprised how few mics are actually required to get a good drum sound. Watch this video of drums recorded with 2 mics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw4p38qpeYY
^

Busking the Local Subway Near You

YouTube Channel

Fender MIM Strat
Fender Acoustic
Epiphone Explorer
Get a Di (bass and keyboards) 200-250
4 or 5 57's (They do the job for guitars, bass cab, snare, toms as well) 400
Kick mic these are expensive but if your in for the long hall. 300 to 500 will get you something pretty good.
Get a couple of condenser mic (overheads, and vocals) 1000 maybe second hand.
This sort of set up you could do a live track of all the band and then additional overdubs for guitars and vocals.
Those mics are all solid. Low budget but not shit. so as you go along you can upgrade.

Monitoring and interface. Like the dude above. But I'd still go with the best monitors you can afford and then later looking at some acoustic treatment. This step is kind of like a bit of a commitment. It's the point you cross over into now I'm really serious about this.

Hope that helped. Any other questions I'd be happy to try and help.