i'm in a band which drummer don't play double bass yet =( !! but both of guitarists , bassist and vocalist are able to play metalcore , melodic death songs !! i just wanna know some metalcore/melodeath songs that contain just a little bit of double bass drumming ! thnx
Just play the same songs and let the drummer play with just 1 pedal. I don't see the problem here
I'd say stop everything until he buys a double kick pedal. There are no bands in the world where the drummer doesn't have the double kick, and it's neccesary for holding a beat in any genre. Same goes for the guitars. You need at least 7 strings and them downtuned to C#. Anything else is a waste of time.

Alternatively you could get over it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'd say stop everything until he buys a double kick pedal. There are no bands in the world where the drummer doesn't have the double kick, and it's neccesary for holding a beat in any genre. Same goes for the guitars. You need at least 7 strings and them downtuned to C#. Anything else is a waste of time.

seriously, don't worry about it.
what can you do? ask the drummer if he wants to play double bass or not. If he wants to, ask if everyone thinks it's necessary. If everyone says yes, and the drummer doesn't have money for it and you take it seriously, you could all buy it together.
Quote by AlanHB

+1
Quote by AlanHB

Oh, Alan...

I do genuinely think that Double Bass is the next staple for good drummers now. I can't see it detracting from any genre. Only adding. And this is including things like Jazz, Country, Pop, etc.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Oh, Alan...

I do genuinely think that Double Bass is the next staple for good drummers now. I can't see it detracting from any genre. Only adding. And this is including things like Jazz, Country, Pop, etc.

Well there's nothing like the flurry of bass drum punches to further the melody and purpose of a song.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well there's nothing like the flurry of bass drum punches to further the melody and purpose of a song.

There are many tasteful ways double bass can accent a melody, or the rhythm section!
Quote by DiminishedFifth
There are many tasteful ways double bass can accent a melody, or the rhythm section!

Very true, and they can only be accented through the speed attained over the single pedal. Slow accents are for the weak.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Very true, and they can only be accented through the speed attained over the single pedal. Slow accents are for the weak.

Alan, you gotta get the stick out. It's gonna puncture something.
I actually prefer single pedal drumming to double bass drumming. I don't know why i do but there is nothing that annoys me more than a double bass drummer just hitting relentless 16th or 32nd notes on the bass drum.

I also presonally think the greatest metal drummer is nicko mc brain who is the king of the single pedal.

Double bass drumming seems to be a heavy metal cliche just like downtuning. Not that theres anything wrong with either. Just don't fall into stereotypes for no reason what so ever
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Alan, you gotta get the stick out. It's gonna puncture something.

Thanks for adding useless comment to the conversation. Do you have an opinion to go along with that?

Edit: I actually do like use of double kick pedals in some situations, Dean Mineva is a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPEs4PrcKIQ , but I'd regard him as an exception to the rule when you encounter a double-kick drummer. Most will do double kick all the way through with little regard as to how it impacts the song.

The whole concept behind TS's question is whether they should still practice without the double kick. I say yes. On top of t
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

Normally I'd agree with you.
But look at Gavin Harrison.
Yes, he plays in Porcupine Tree, but he's primarily a jazz drummer. And even in his jazz drumming, he will occasionally use a double kick as a small accent. But he doesn't do it in a really obvious, intrusive way, he does it in a way that quietly adds to the song, makes it a little more alive.
He is, to me, the epitome of tasteful drumming.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
There are way too many tasteful drummers who use double bass to pigeon hole it as tacky or excessive. It depends on the drummer.