so... i just started using my fender mustang amp for recording random crap and decided to get a backing track and record myself playing the enter sandman solo...
while i was playing it, i was like- this is awesome.
and then i played what i recorded...
basically, it sounded like shit.
my bends were extremely inaccurate, my vibrato sucked and my pull-offs sounded sloppy(if that makes any sense)
what exercises should i try to make my solos sound less awful?
practice man. Lots and lots of practice. Get on to youtube and find out how to do the techniques properly.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Zeletros
You should start with english classes.

Guitar-wise, it's all about practice.

point out any mistakes i made in english, other than the double L in the title which is obviously a typo
Quote by philipk
Point out any mistakes I made in English, other than the double L in the title which is obviously a typo.

Fixed.
Quote by stealstrings
Fixed.

you know, you didn't start your previous post with a capital letter.
dick.
You've already got the answear, practice.

If something dosent sound as it should fix it. For example you said your bends where out of tune, then sit and pluck a fret, move back 1/2/3 frets and bend up to that note. And do that on every string.

It really is about thinking logically, if something dosent sound good how do i solve it? You tackle what dosent sound good.
Quote by philipk
you know, you didn't start your previous post with a capital letter.
dick.

Just testing you. Obviously you have problems with grammar.
This is Guitar Techniques. Not English 101.

@TS Like Sickz said, you already know what's wrong with your playing, so work on those. For the bending, play a note that you want to bend to, then compare what notes you're getting when you're actually bending. Then practice.

I can't help with the vibrato because I can't even be sure I have a good vibrato.
Yeah sorry TS. Just being a troll there for a minute. But seriously, practice makes perfect. Also, try watching other guitarists on youtube. Like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. That's where I learn to perfect my techniques.
so i just went to try doing the whole " play the note you want to bend up to then go down two frets and bend up to that note" and my G and B strings go out of tune after a few bends
but i'm getting a new guitar soon so i guess ill just wait until it arrives and then start practicing a lot.
also i love listening to satriani, paul gilbert, guthrie govan and others but i doubt it improves my technique lol
You might not get better by just listening to satriani etc, but you have something to work against. And you might get some ideas from them just by listening.

And you can always take parts of their songs and work on to improve different technique.
In my opinion working on an actual song you like is much better then exercises.

EDIT: You can watch their videos and youtube and see how they execute their techniques though. Example you can look on how they hold their pick, hand position, legato technique, economy of motion etc. Like how watch how they do stuff you dont know and try to mimic.
Last edited by Sickz at Oct 1, 2011,
yeah i agree, thats why im playing the loner by gary moore right now it has plenty of bends
Quote by philipk

my bends were extremely inaccurate, my vibrato sucked and my pull-offs sounded sloppy(if that makes any sense)

what exercises should i try to make my solos sound less awful?

Take a guess.
It's spelled wiener.
seriously use your ears if you cant define between a semitone bend and a tone bend, then you better start bendin' boy.

hit a note go a tone lower and bend up to the pitch of the note you just hit and do it EVERYWHERE, IT does not matter what notes you hit, just get the the right bend pitch.

for everything else, there isn't a magic exercise that'll make you jesus christ. just practice it and keep doing it, you wont see instant results. but when you do. it's worth it.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Use your ears and practice. Keep in mind the key the song is in, and try to keep bends within that.

Either that or practice to become a rhythm player ;B
Professional lurker since 2009.
In order to do good solos, you don't need 1000 techniques.

You need to understand how harmony works.

You should also learn the scales and play them over backing tracks.

I would also recommend that you train your ears.

Just play a major scale and follow it with your voice.
Just a piece of advice I use to help work on my bends: use a tuner.

If you know your starting note is an A and you need a full bend to it, just play the note with your guitar plugged into a tuner and keep bending till it hits B. My bends use to be completely out of tune when I first started attempting to play For The Love Of God by Vai. But once I started plugging in and using my tuner, I was able to really narrow it down and fix it.

But that's the easy way to fix that issue. Training one's ear to actually be able to listen that the bends are accurate is probably better in the long run.