So for the time i have been playing guitar i always had a strict practice sheldue. For the last half year i have been using a 4-hour one(this does not include song learning, rehearsing, or composing, so i did that afterwards). At that time i had the time to do it. Now im in music/drama college, wich includes normal school and music education. (25% music first year, 50% second 75% last year). The problem is that im home some days and in a appartmant some other days. The time i have to play guitar is not concistent and its very hard to follow a strict practice sheldue then. Is it ok to dont have a spesific practice sheldue, but making sure i spend 1 hour atleast on tecniuce, 1 on scales/arps/chords etc? IPlease help me. I love playing music, and my goal is to become a musician, or at least a music teacher. Thank you.
Obviously practice is good, but if you don't have 4 hours a day to spend on it, you don't spend 4 hours a day on it. Surely that's obvious.

So long as you make the best use of the time you do get, that's the main thing.

Remember this though: It's also important to have a life outside of your guitar playing. If you don't, no matter how well you can play, you won't have the life experience to progress with a career. It would be kind of like being the best mechanic in the world, but not being able to drive a car.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Obviously practice is good, but if you don't have 4 hours a day to spend on it, you don't spend 4 hours a day on it. Surely that's obvious.

Remember this though: It's also important to have a life outside of your guitar playing. If you don't, no matter how well you can play, you won't have the life experience to progress with a career. It would be kind of like being the best mechanic in the world, but not being able to drive a car.

Nice one. I like you.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by GaryBillington

mmm what about Steve Vai ?
what about all succesful people ?
its all about time.. people always seem to think, that when someone does something "all the time" he has no life.. i just think.. hhh hes more alive than any of us, he does what he loves all the time.

if you love something you wont care about other distractions
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 1, 2011,
1 hour a day is enough keep your chops in shape and gradually improve. You can use your commute to do ear training and learn repetoire, so you can actually get a lot done in "downtime".
Sheldue.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Slashiepie
mmm what about Steve Vai ?
what about all succesful people ?
its all about time.. people always seem to think, that when someone does something "all the time" he has no life.. i just think.. hhh hes more alive than any of us, he does what he loves all the time.

if you love something you wont care about other distractions

And I'm sure people will love listening to all the songs you write about practicing guitar.

Practice is important.
Life is vital
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Wel, my point is that i cant keep my sheldue concistent. If i practice tecniuqe for at least an hour tecniuqe and at least an hour scales, chords, and all the other time i use for songwriting, recording, song learning, and practicing whatever? I wold love to play 10 hrs a day if i had the time. :P