Guys telling me they have a Gibson and show me the knock off Epi's,, get real its not a Gibson.
cool story, bro?

EDIT: ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
epiphone is owned by gibson and i think that's why some people call their epiphones gibsons. they think the fact that epiphone are owned by gibson actually means something, but all it means is they are licensed to use the gibson trade-marks and has no relevance at all to the build quality of anything substancial at all, except maybe the prices...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
No no no... It's a Gibson-Epiphone. Get it right.

Kinda like a Fender-Squier and an ESP-LTD. The prefix means everything.

/sarcasm
Quote by Blompcube
epiphone is owned by gibson and i think that's why some people call their epiphones gibsons. they think the fact that epiphone are owned by gibson actually means something, but all it means is they are licensed to use the gibson trade-marks and has no relevance at all to the build quality of anything substancial at all, except maybe the prices...

Aren't they made in the same far eastern factory?
Quote by sewoo55
that's like saying schecter guitars are esp guitars since they are owned by ESP

technically, they're 2 separate companies, they're just owned by the same person.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I don't know anybody who does that.

I see that you're new aswell. Welcome to UG, soon you'll learn which threads are redundant and which are not.
West Ham United
Hey guys, should I go get a Fender Charvelle or a Fender Gretsch?

F-it...I'll just go get a Fender Starcaster.

WTFC?
Quote by randomhero93
technically, they're 2 separate companies, they're just owned by the same person.

schecter and ESP are owed by the same guy? O.O
Quote by PSimonR

no.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by PSimonR

Epiphone = China
Gibson = USA

Quote by Seanthesheep
schecter and ESP are owed by the same guy? O.O

they own Edwards as well
It's funny when you realize all the companies are actually owned by the same dudes... Gretsch and Jackson are to Frender, Hamer and Steinberger are to Gibson...
Last edited by Darkflame at Oct 1, 2011,
It's really just people trying to play up their guitar as a higher end model by linking the lower end product to the parent company.
The most common instance here on UG is ESP-LTD. You'll constantly see UG'ers calling their LTDs this. A form of insecurity most likely.
Moving on.....
Quote by Darkflame
Epiphone = China
Gibson = USA

they own Edwards as well
It's funny when you realize all the companies are actually owned by the same dudes... Gretsch and Jackson are to Frender, Hamer and Steinberger are to Gibson...

Kramer are owned by gibson not hamer
Didn't think hamer was owned by anyone but apparently fender own them
Quote by WolfWolfee
Guys telling me they have a Gibson and show me the knock off Epi's,, get real its not a Gibson.

Why do you think Epis are 'knock offs'
They are made by the same company - just at another place

A Gibson is a Gibson and is made by Gibson and is owned by Gibson. And Epiphone is an Epiphone and is made by Epiphone and is owned by Gibson.

Therefore a Gibson is a real Gibson and an Epiphone is an Epiphone, but it owned by Gibson.

It couldn't be more simple folks.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by paruwi
Why do you think Epis are 'knock offs'
They are made by the same company - just at another place

because they are authorised knock-offs, which really makes them no different to any of the other knock-offs other than that they bare the official trademarks belonging to the gibson corporation.

what do you think gibson are intending to do with the epiphone brand? sell you the same quality product for a lot less money and make the more expensive models in their product range completely redundant and unecessary?

Quote by Blompcube
because they are authorised knock-offs, which really makes them no different to any of the other knock-offs other than that they bare the official trademarks belonging to the gibson corporation.

what do you think gibson are intending to do with the epiphone brand? sell you the same quality product for a lot less money and make the more expensive models in their product range completely redundant and unecessary?

This.

Just because Gibson owns Epiphone doesn't make them a Gibson. A Gibson product is held to a higher standard, the Gibson standard. I know that doesn't mean much to some people, but saying an Epiphone is a Gibson is holding them to the Gibson standard. Why does is make sense to hold a guitar made in China under the supervision of Epiphone to a Gibson USA standard? That's why Gibson has Epiphone, to build cheaper guitars overseas and not sully their name with them.