I'm about to buy a Strat body that has a floyd rose cavity. Would it be possible to install a fender style tremolo in it or am i screwed?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
no you can't, the route is entirely different.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
no you can't, the route is entirely different.

Dammit. Is there anything I can do to get a fender tremolo in there or is there anything else that fits in floyd cavity
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Depends if it's recessed or not. If it is your screwed, but it possible to go from fender to flushed floyd. so if its not recessed i'd guess it'd be reversable.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Depends if it's recessed or not. If it is your screwed, but it possible to go from fender to flushed floyd. so if its not recessed i'd guess it'd be reversable.

Well there is no hole going out to the bottom like a regular strat (where the tremolo springs are, which I found odd. Im buying it from my guitar teachers and they said it was a floyd rose cavity, but now im not sure. its a big cavity like in this guitar
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
The pic isn't working also if its a floyd guitar changing it to a strat trem will make the locking nut look weird. Also why do you want a strat trem instead of a floyd? Just curious.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
The pic isn't working also if its a floyd guitar changing it to a strat trem will make the locking nut look weird. Also why do you want a strat trem instead of a floyd? Just curious.

Oh I dont even have a neck picked out so the locking nut isnt an issue.

Sorry the pick isnt working, but it looks like a sort of recessed floyd BUT instead of just a little cut out for the recession, the entire shape of the floyd rose is cut out and deep, like almost out the other side of the guitar deep.

BTW I just dont like Floyds. Takes along time to set up and I dont dive bomb much at all. The Fender tremolo is my fav cus of its simplicity and ease of use.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
one thing ive always wanted to see is someone make a plate to mount over the old route.
imagine a square metal plate, like a big neck plate, screwed in on top, and mounting the strat bridge to that. you could probably make it look pretty legit too
Whether it's recessed or not, you could always install and then block a floyd rose - this way you get the tuning stability and (relatively) easy setting up that it seems you're looking for? If you install a rolling/graphite top nut (make sure you get the right size for a floyd top nut) you can change tunings (e.g. standard to drop) much easier.
(just remember to over-tension the springs in the back so the trem block is pulled against the stop!)

However, you say there's no hole going through to the back of the guitar - in which case it Can't be a floyd route - maybe it's a Bigsby route of some sort?

Remember though to think about your preference in bridge height - different bridges are really gonna affect that. For example, I'm equally at home on my Strat's strat-style bridge as on my Jackson's floyd or my Ibanez's edge zero, but I can't stand TOM's.
Last edited by Gr!t at Oct 2, 2011,
Here's the thing with having even a flush mount FR replaced with a fender trem: the rout for the block is longer than the Fender trem, so there will be space on one side of the trem.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Gr!t
Whether it's recessed or not, you could always install and then block a floyd rose - this way you get the tuning stability and (relatively) easy setting up that it seems you're looking for? If you install a rolling/graphite top nut (make sure you get the right size for a floyd top nut) you can change tunings (e.g. standard to drop) much easier.
(just remember to over-tension the springs in the back so the trem block is pulled against the stop!)

However, you say there's no hole going through to the back of the guitar - in which case it Can't be a floyd route - maybe it's a Bigsby route of some sort?

Remember though to think about your preference in bridge height - different bridges are really gonna affect that. For example, I'm equally at home on my Strat's strat-style bridge as on my Jackson's floyd or my Ibanez's edge zero, but I can't stand TOM's.

Thanks for the info. When I pick up the body I'll be sure to post some picks...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
BTW I just dont like Floyds. Takes along time to set up and I dont dive bomb much at all. The Fender tremolo is my fav cus of its simplicity and ease of use.

Same here. I hate the thought of spending more than a few minutes changing strings.
Quote by Buxom
Same here. I hate the thought of spending more than a few minutes changing strings.

EXACTLY! And i have gross acidic fingers so i have to change strigns every week
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
EXACTLY! And i have gross acidic fingers so i have to change strigns every week

you know it's not THAT hard to change your strings... plus, wash your hands before playing and I guarantee your strings will last quite a bit longer - and remember to wipe them down after. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol on a rag works pretty well.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
When changing strings, remember you're always gonna have to stretch them out. This isn't such a big deal with a non-floating bridge, but it still helps.

A blocked floyd (or strat bridge, for that matter) won't count as floating because it's not in a 'balance' of tensions, as such. So if your G string goes out, for example, it won't send all the others out because it's not gonna move the bridge (this is why people have trouble setting up floyds: changing the tension in either the strings or the springs will move the bridge, though sometimes imperceptably. The movement of the bridge is what sends all the strings out ot tune).

If you don't want to spend 15 mins stretching strings (while doing something else like watching TV or whatever), then with a blocked floyd, all you need to do is:

Unlock locking nut. Unwind string at machine head. Undo string clamp at bridge. Remove old string. If you do this for every string at once then this would be when you clean your fretboard. Cut ball end off new string (unless you're putting the ball ends at the machine heads). Insert string end into clamp at bridge. Insert other end through machine head (also under string tree if you have one). Cut to length, wind up, tune up and then after stretching, replace locking nut.

You see, with a blocked floyd, there's no need to fiddle about with spring tensions at all, unless you're changing gauges/tunings. That said, you should temporarily block the bridge anyway if you're changing the strings on a flating trem, but that's moot point.

All in all, this doesn't take long. About 5 mins in total, for me. It's stretching you wanna take your time over, as it really does help, and it applies to All Guitars, although the problems associated with not doing it are more obvious with a floating trem. I might spend 15 minutes Just stretching strings, as I don't like to have to fiddle about with adjusting tunings every single time I pick the guitar up for the next week or so.

So really, if the amount of time it's gonna take to change strings is your main factor for choosing bridge, it's about the same so why not go with the one that takes about the same as a normal bridge, but comes with much better tuning stability, and the ability to divebomb if you need to?

I'll shut up now