Hey ummm i just wired up my guitar and there is lots of hum. whenever i touch the pickups, three way switch or bridge the hum gets louder but when i touch the output it goes away. what can i do to reduce it??
Quote by Wisthekiller
Check if it's properly grounded. When you find out it's not, then do ground it correctly.

This. Also, you might want to get some copper shielding and shield the electronics/pickup cavities and the pickguard/control covers. You can get the stuff from Warmoth or Stewmac
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
It's not a shielding issue...One of your ground wires are either not connected or has a bad solder connection.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
Stupid Question but ( ). . . . what is ground wire?

Electricity's whole purpose is to find ground(Earth), it will take the shortest path to ground ALWAYS. A ground wire on your guitar makes a path for the guitar to ground through you, you acting as ground. If you don't have ground, it will feedback though the amp and find ground that way, until you touch a part of the guitar in contact with your circuit.

It's that little wire going from the volume pot to your bridge.
OHHHHHHHH. . . ok. thats a little confusing but i kinda get it. thanks ill give that a try. one more thing, does the soulder have to be shiny because one spot isn't very shiny. just something i wanted 2 ask.

Thanks Dude!!
Quote by iridium02
It's not a shielding issue...One of your ground wires are either not connected or has a bad solder connection.

It can be, but it is the grounding wire.

What shielding is used for is to reduce signal leakage - you know when you take your hands off the strings and you get buzz and feedback? That is signal leakage. Shielding the electronics and plates makes a Faraday Cage which helps reduce signal leakage and hum.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i installed a new ground wire and didn't do anything. i thought this might have something to do with the bridge so i swapped the wires and IT WORKED!!!

thanks for the help guys!