Hey guys, im planning on getting a new guitar between now and christmas. And ive decided that i need an extra string (or two). But im stuck between a 7 or 8 string.

Ive been looking at the Ibanez RGAs, the Schecters and the Stef Carpenter ESPs. And my budget is around 550 pounds. But 1. i dont know which ones are best and 2. i need a second opinion on wether 8 strings are overkill or not. And i dont mind buying aftermarket pickups in a couple of months.

The stuff im intending to play on it will be mainly Deftones, Meshuggah and Periphery.

So if anyone has a 7 or 8 string or has experience of playing one please give me some advice. thx
Last edited by CombatWombat 95 at Oct 1, 2011,
Ibanez RG1527
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I think a 7 would be more practical. The necks on 8 strings look incredibly uncomfortable due to their width, and I can name only 4 bands off the top of my head that use 8's, the 3 you listed, and Scale the Summit. Pickups won't be easy to find either, but if you're planning on playing a lot of metal, a Lundgren M8 would be awesome, if a bit pricey.

EDIT: It isn't hard to adapt from 6 strings to 7 strings either, but I can see 8 being a problem if you haven't at least played a 7 for a while.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Oct 1, 2011,
Meshuggah and Periphery both use 8 strings. I think Misha (Periphery) switches between 7 and 8 string a lot (at least on his soundcloud he does), but Meshuggah's last couple of albums have exclusively used 8 strings.

So it really just depends on what you want to play.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
i juts got an 8 strin recently and i quite enjoy it.... i also have a 7 and i also quite enjoy that... the 7 string would prolly be better for learnin more stuff but then again you could always use the 8 string without the thickest string for some songs anyways... hmmm id suggest 8
Thanks for tips guys, looks like a 7 string is best then. And my second question is: Who makes the best 7 strings for around the 500 pound mark?

And if anyone has anything else to add, just comment.
Quote by MicroplanetAsia
i juts got an 8 strin recently and i quite enjoy it.... i also have a 7 and i also quite enjoy that... the 7 string would prolly be better for learnin more stuff but then again you could always use the 8 string without the thickest string for some songs anyways... hmmm id suggest 8

What ones are they?
Quote by GibsonMan321
Meshuggah and Periphery both use 8 strings. I think Misha (Periphery) switches between 7 and 8 string a lot (at least on his soundcloud he does), but Meshuggah's last couple of albums have exclusively used 8 strings.

So it really just depends on what you want to play.

Periphery don't use 8-strings.None of the songs on Captain on or Self titled are 8 string. Some of bulb's demos are recorded on 8's though. So yeah.

Personally i'd get an 8 string to play some Scale the Summit/Meshuggah and maybe be stupid enough to even attempt learning AAL.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by CombatWombat 95
Thanks for tips guys, looks like a 7 string is best then. And my second question is: Who makes the best 7 strings for around the 500 pound mark?

And if anyone has anything else to add, just comment.

Get a used RG1527, incredible guitar. Only need to change Pups

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by adj209
Periphery don't use 8-strings.None of the songs on Captain on or Self titled are 8 string. Some of bulb's demos are recorded on 8's though. So yeah.

Personally i'd get an 8 string to play some Scale the Summit/Meshuggah and maybe be stupid enough to even attempt learning AAL.

http://www.mayones.com/en/useful_news/special/periphery_regius8

I'll just leave this here.

@TS, have you ever tried 7 or 8 strings? They can feel much different than you might think. Go try some if you haven't.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
older deftones and mesh you will be fine wit a 7 stringer. but for newer stuff from both bands and 8 will serve you sell.

however, i would recommend a 7 so you can get familiar with extra string/s territory. if you're dead set and sure you'll stick with the 7/8 string guitar then used RG7620's are a good bet. other guitars to look at

RG7321
RGA7
S7321
S7421(newer ones not the old ones wit the Lo-TRS)
Hellraiser 7
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
older deftones and mesh you will be fine wit a 7 stringer. but for newer stuff from both bands and 8 will serve you sell.

however, i would recommend a 7 so you can get familiar with extra string/s territory. if you're dead set and sure you'll stick with the 7/8 string guitar then used RG7620's are a good bet. other guitars to look at

RG7321
RGA7
S7321
S7421(newer ones not the old ones wit the Lo-TRS)
Hellraiser 7

I was looking at the Ibanez RGA7, is it worth getting? Good value for money? Im not too worried about getting new pickups.
Quote by CombatWombat 95
I was looking at the Ibanez RGA7, is it worth getting? Good value for money? Im not too worried about getting new pickups.

Why get a new RGA7 when you can get a used prestige 1527.
Srsly.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by adj209
Why get a new RGA7 when you can get a used prestige 1527.
Srsly.

Cause buying new is alot easier. But i know what you mean.
Quote by CombatWombat 95

regardin the post below, i know you REALLY REALLY want to buy knew cuz you want ot be the only one who fingers that baby but the RG1527 is miles ahead of the RGA7.. if you want cheap,new and quality, the non prestige S are great, especially the ZR trem. however if you dont want/need a trem i would go with a RG7421 or RG7621

remember one thing, if you can try before you buy, even in with models that have consistent quality control, the quality of build will still vary from individual guitar to individual guitar.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Oct 1, 2011,
If you can get a 1527 in decent nick, it's a top notch guitar. Schecter are a bit hit and miss, try before you buy - although the good ones are excellent for the music you're into.
I dont really want a trem. Cause im gonna changing tunings alot (between standard and dropped) and ive used locking vibratos and they just seem like hassle. But is the RGA7 my best bet if i dont want a trem?
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think im gonna go for the RGA7.

if anyone else has anything to add, feel free.
Quote by CombatWombat 95
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think im gonna go for the RGA7.

if anyone else has anything to add, feel free.

get a RG7621 or RG7421.

both of prestige( actually not sure bout the 7421 but the 7621 definitely) quality. much much better than the RGA.

the RGA is just fancy lookin cuz of the carve top.....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Oct 1, 2011,
7621 is of prestige quality,

7421 is just higher quality but with cheap hardware.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Used RG1527, block trem, job done. Seriously. Blocked locking trems really aren't as much hassle as people make out. It takes 5 mins extra to re-string at the most if you do it right. And although you might not, I find locking trems really comfortable to play on, especially for stuff with lots of palm muting and pinchies. Not to mention, I've played a couple of RGA7s and the stock pickups are absolutely awful, and with them being actives, the pickup cavity will be a different size to that of a passive so you'd be limited to actives unless you wanted to get the cavity re-routed.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
Used RG1527, block trem, job done. Seriously. Blocked locking trems really aren't as much hassle as people make out. It takes 5 mins extra to re-string at the most if you do it right. And although you might not, I find locking trems really comfortable to play on, especially for stuff with lots of palm muting and pinchies. Not to mention, I've played a couple of RGA7s and the stock pickups are absolutely awful, and with them being actives, the pickup cavity will be a different size to that of a passive so you'd be limited to actives unless you wanted to get the cavity re-routed.

dude i NEVER use a trem for my playin but i find i cant', for the life of me, play a non FR equipped guitar....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock