i was doing some shopping today after work at an asian food market. i was just after some noodles, bean sprouts, and fruit rolls but i was also browsing through the store as i generally will find something new or different to try each trip. today, tucked in the corner of one of the freezers i found some packages of frozen durian fruit!

now maybe this isnt terribly exciting to you, but it is to me. ive wanted to try this fruit since learning about it via a pretty cool guy who doesnt afraid of anything AKA anthony bourdain. i almost held off buying it due to the $11 price tag for one pound of fruit, but when/how else was i ever going to get to try some durian?

at home, as i opened the packaging, even while frozen i could smell the durian! its a hard smell to describe as its not like anything ive come into contact with before, but think of the smell of fruit in general. now think of the fruitiest smelling fruit and thats kinda what a durian smells like. i can see how people would say that it smells rotten as it is terribly pungent, but to me it smelled more super fruity. like the pinnacle of fruit smelling.

anywho, i got a piece of it sitting outside thawing. in another hour or two i should hopefully being happily eating some durian!

if you want to hear what captain badass has to say about durain, here you go (skip to 6:00): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PNmuExjlEM
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Nice blog bro.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Nice blog bro.

thank you, i was an english major.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
pitaya is a much cooler fruit.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

For serious though, I've never even heard of this fruit before, what's it taste like?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Durian? No thanks, I only eat tonal fruit.

E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Durian is disgusting. I've tried it a few times, and my grandparents insist it is good, but it smells terrible and tastes worse.
Star Fruit > all other fruit

Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Oct 1, 2011,
you going to show us your laundry list next?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
If you're going to eat durian, get one that is not packaged.
They're much better like that.
They also taste amazing.
This led to a trip to Wikipedia to find out more about this fruit. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

Really?:

Quote by NoLaurelTree000
via a pretty cool guy who doesnt afraid of anything

On topic, what does it taste like? What fruit is it similar to?
Andrew Zimmern described it as Custard in texture, tasting like onions gone bad with the stinky feet of bad cheese taste.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

at home, as i opened the packaging, even while frozen i could smell the durian! its a hard smell to describe as its not like anything ive come into contact with before, but think of the smell of fruit in general. now think of the fruitiest smelling fruit and thats kinda what a durian smells like. i can see how people would say that it smells rotten as it is terribly pungent, but to me it smelled more super fruity. like the pinnacle of fruit smelling.

Fantastic descriptions there, brah.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Trowzaa

For serious though, I've never even heard of this fruit before, what's it taste like?

dunno yet. never tried it and am still waiting for it to thaw. ill provide a critique once i try it.

Quote by silent caution
you going to show us your laundry list next?

if you want, weirdo.

Quote by Extra Ordinary
If you're going to eat durian, get one that is not packaged.
They're much better like that.
They also taste amazing.

of course, but i have no idea where i could find whole durians near me. i live in a fairly rural area. i suppose i could look into online ordering, but then theres shipping, effort, and what have you. it was an impulse buy

Quote by sabbath1313
Really?:

lrn2meme.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
From the picture of it thawing, it looks like it might be this guy

Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12