Has anyone played one of these?
I was interested in picking one up since I may be in the market for a new bass here in the near future.
Are these decent? Or should I pass and wait for something better?

Before you say go out and play one, I can't none of the shops around here have any in stock so I can't try before I buy.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Yeppie that's the one I'm thinking about.
Quote by FatalGear41

The videos make it look decent. I like the mini humbucker. I bet that would sound pretty sweet with some flats. If you don't get a lot of responses on here you might try searching the forums on talkbass.com
I think Din of Win has one or did? been a while since I creeped profiles.

As long as your not blinded by the short scale stigma, go for it. and yes a great pair of flats. and a setup with a once over of the wiring if need be would no doubt make a great little bass
I'm gigging it tonight for the first time, as a matter'a'fact.

I like it a LOT. On the guitar side of things, i totally love Gretsch. I haven't been able to really invest in a hollowbody bass, though i ALMOST pulled the trigger on the GC run of orange Electromatic hollowbodies. But, since i'm playing shortscale these days, on 4 strings, I was super stoaked on getting the G2202 Junior Jet.

So far, it's a blast. I had some La'Bella flats on it but man... i'm just NOT a flats kinda' guy. So last week i switched those out for some D'Addario Nickels and it's totally come alive!

The TV Jones mini-humbucker is awesome. It is rather hot, so i usually dial back the tone eeeeeever so slightly. The bass, itself, feels tremendously solid. The neck is of the wide and shallow variety... but i preffer that.

All in all, for about $300 new, these basses are probably the best shortscales on the market, and easily on par with the Fender Mustang, regarding out-of-the-box usability.

I'll chime in tomorrow with a gig review.

I'll be using my Gretsch G2202 straight into my 70's Traynor YBA-3cs tube head, and an Acoustic 4x10.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Mini Update:

Apparently Gretch is updating the Jr. Jets a bit...

We've had the G2202 single pickup (this is what i have):

We've also had, the more expensive, and less often seen, G1222:

NOW... Gretsch is releasing the G2210:

...and the G2220:

The G2202 and G2210 are essentially the same, except for different colors and vol/tone knobs... the G1222 and G2220 differ a bit more, specifically in toggle switch possition.

I haven't looked deep enough to see if either the wood or electronics has changed.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Never played one of their basses, but I've had a couple of the 6 string Electromatic over the years, and always found them pretty awesome. Definitely as good as, and probably better than anything by Epiphone or the main mid-range manufacturers.

My old ProJet is one of the few guitars I regret selling, and I fully intend to buy another when the time is right.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
who are you playing with if I'm allowed to ask?

shame you don't like flats, I agree with you on most everything save that I guess, got to have flats. rounds are just too bright for me, I end up using a very narrow range of the tone knob, with flats I can use nearly every turn of the knob
Quote by askrere
rounds are just too bright for me, I end up using a very narrow range of the tone knob, with flats I can use nearly every turn of the knob

Same here! I was going to try to keep rounds on my new jazz but I just can't do it. I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of some flats in the mail.
Quote by askrere
who are you playing with if I'm allowed to ask?

shame you don't like flats, I agree with you on most everything save that I guess, got to have flats. rounds are just too bright for me, I end up using a very narrow range of the tone knob, with flats I can use nearly every turn of the knob

Tonight it's with my female-fronted The-Ramones-meets-60's-girl-group band. It's fun! I get to expand on the good old Ramonesy 3 chord songs, with a LOT of my Motown upbringing. We're playing with a band from Austrailia, which is a first for me, haha!

Usually, though, i play within the shoegaze, dream-pop, noise-pop end of the spectrum. Shortscale basses LOVE overdrive and fuzz.

I do like flats... but only on 34" basses. On the shortscales, i feel like they get pretty boomy already, and when everything is cranked live, a lot of the nuance gets lost. I do love flats on actives (weird) and P basses, and i ONLY use flats when i record. They cut down TREMENDOUSLY on fret-noise, and i'm super picky about that.
Quote by Din of Win
Mini Update:

Apparently Gretch is updating the Jr. Jets a bit...

We've had the G2202 single pickup (this is what i have):
...Tons of pics.
The G2202 and G2210 are essentially the same, except for different colors and vol/tone knobs... the G1222 and G2220 differ a bit more, specifically in toggle switch possition.

I haven't looked deep enough to see if either the wood or electronics has changed.

It looks like the pup on the G2210 is closer to the neck then the older version.
As soon as I'm able to offload my Jackson Kelly I'm grabbing a G2202. I can't find the G2210 on any used site .

On the subject of flats.
My Jazz just got some flats on her last night. So that makes three out of five basses of mine that have flats.
Quote by FatalGear41

Are you allowed to mention band names? I'd love to hear some of that, I like both those styles.

String noise always bothers me, as does what I think a lot of people here refer to as clank and love. I had rounds on my mustang when I got it, flats sound perfect though, I tend to boost my mids and slightly twinge the bass past noon clockwise and drop the treble reverse of the bass. I keep my tone knob on the bass 3/4 towards bassy. This gives me a tone with enough nuances to not make "BOOMP", but a more articulate "bump", the more overdriven i play and if I'm chording I might treble it up slightly and make a nice "Bamp"

but that's enough Onomatopoeia for one day.

Din I'll wait til tonight, but do you prefer the bronco or the gretsch?
Man...

I am IN love with the Gretsch now.

It performed amazingly at the show lastnight! I ended up wussing out on hauling my tube head, so i brought my 80's GK 400rb... and it was superb. Everything was set flat, with a sliiiiight bump in the low-mids, and just a slight more of a bump in the high mids. I play about 75% of the set with fingers, and the remaining 25% with a pick. I need a bass with a reactive tone knob, and the G2202 has it! The pickup is hot enough that i get a really zingy, punchy finger sound with tone full on, and a nice P-bassy punch with a pick when i roll it off ever so slightly.

I got a BIT of string noise. But, i play heavyier fingered when i play live, so just maybe half a twist with an allen wrench on the E and A saddles, and i'll be a-okay!

@Askrere: The band i played with lastnight is called, The Firecrackers.

I need to (and will!!!) play with the Gretsch more in the future. For now, i'd probably say i preffer the Bronco in regards to sound (i mean, i modded it to sound EXACTLY how i want) and the way the neck feels. However, i like the Gretsch aesthetically more, and it's all around more comfortable and balanced, and i feel i could use it in a wider array of bands than the Bronco.

Time will tell... and i still have to gig my SX ss Jaguar. My drummer likes a Jazz bass tone more than a P bass tone, so he's really stoked for me to play that one out.