Page 1 of 2
Denmark has introduced what is believed to be the world's first fat tax - a surcharge on foods that are high in saturated fat.

Butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food are now subject to the tax if they contain more than 2.3% saturated fat.

Some consumers began hoarding to beat the price rise, while some producers call the tax a bureaucratic nightmare.

Others suggest that many Danes will simply start shopping abroad.

Danish officials say they hope the new tax will help limit the population's intake of fatty foods.

However, some scientists think saturated fat may be the wrong target.

They say salt, sugar and refined carbohydrates are more detrimental to health and should be tackled instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15137948

My first thoughts? What the fuck, Denmark? Why arbitrarily increase tax anything with more than - such an incredibly low limit to being with - 2.3% saturated fat? What is wrong with milk? And butter? How are people going to get unhealthy by drinking milk? Did you just close your eyes and point at items of food? Processed foods I can understand, but milk? What?

Yours sincerely,
What I'm assuming is everyone else in the world
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
money grab.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Putting those taxes on foods that aren't the healthiest, with the idea that it will deter the consumer from buying them, is ridiculous. If someone wants to eat unhealthy food, let them and don't punish them by charging more.
That's dumb. Fats are good for you, carbs be the enemy.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
So now people who are naturally skinny are going have to pay more money, or be skeletons. Great solution
This is a complete failure of understanding body/food interactions under the stupid, stupid, stupid belief that fat = generally bad. Shame on the Danes.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by primusfan
milk really isn't that great for you ...

Why? It's very nutritious
Quote by Kensai
Why? It's very nutritious

It's also very fatty. Presumably less so if it's skimmed.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
How much is the tax? I read three dollars a kilo at that Australian news website linked at the bottom of the link.

In any case, minus a few points from Denmark (the government obviously, not the Danes).
Quote by Dirge Humani
Humans need fats to survive.

And fats need humans to survive.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Meths
It's also very fatty. Presumably less so if it's skimmed.

I can't even begin to imagine how much milk you would need to drink before it would start to get unhealthy. Bodybuilders and people just starting out at the gym might drink several liters per day, and that's ontop of solid foods.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Kensai
I can't even begin to imagine how much milk you would need to drink before it would start to get unhealthy. Bodybuilders and people just starting out at the gym might drink several liters per day, and that's ontop of solid foods.

Yeahm but without the working out aspect it becomes unhealthy.

It's obvious the Danish government doesn't trust it's people to get their lard asses into shape. It'd make more sense to subsidise gym memberships, but obviously would cost more money and not make any back. Except for the ease on public health services.
Quote by SG_dave
Yeahm but without the working out aspect it becomes unhealthy.

Same goes with overindulging with any food
Quote by Kensai

This.

Milk is widely encouraged for athletes.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I support this. Denmark needs to generate funds for the governments welfare-plans.

Screw the haters.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Ugh, overindulging on milk just reminds me of the McPoyles.

Do you want to be the McPoyles? Of course not.

I'd hit it.
Quote by Kensai

I'm not sure that's especially healthy. And probably not a huge amount if it's full fat.

http://www.positivehealthsteps.com/calories/milk-calories.shtml

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
I'm not sure that's especially healthy. And probably not a huge amount if it's full fat.

http://www.positivehealthsteps.com/calories/milk-calories.shtml

Well yeah it's got calories in it, that's why you drink it if you're working out. It's a pretty effective way to add calories to your daily diet in liquid form without it being unhealthy, like you would if you drank juices, soda or whatever.
Yeah, it's about time they shit on the wallets of fatty food consumers. That'll show 'em.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Oh, and is it a surprise to absolutely noone that they target fat, instead of sugar?

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I've always had my theory on why everything always says "recuded fat!" and "Lite!" and "Fat-free!" instead of putting less sugar in friggin everything...

Quote by CoreysMonster
That's about 500 calories for a full liter of reduced fat milk, most juices and nearly all sugared soft drinks have more calories than that.

Reduced fat milk is obviously a bit healthier. But full fat milk has quite a lot of fat. Hence it's being hit by a fat tax. I'm not sure they're singling it out for special attention, it just does fall under the tax given what fat % they've decided is worthy of taxation.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Oh, and is it a surprise to absolutely noone that they target fat, instead of sugar?

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I've always had my theory on why everything always says "recuded fat!" and "Lite!" and "Fat-free!" instead of putting less sugar in friggin everything...

Does it start with a 'c' and rhyme with "shmorn subsidies"?

Honestly, Americans are all small government/no free handouts 'til someone says "grow less corn". Then they go all crazy. Why'd they love corn so much?

Oscar Wilde
Quote by High&Mighty
Putting those taxes on foods that aren't the healthiest, with the idea that it will deter the consumer from buying them, is ridiculous. If someone wants to eat unhealthy food, let them and don't punish them by charging more.

You know shit all about supply and demand models then, and the affect of a price increase on them.
Quote by Meths
Reduced fat milk is obviously a bit healthier. But full fat milk has quite a lot of fat. Hence it's being hit by a fat tax. I'm not sure they're singling it out for special attention, it just does fall under the tax given what fat % they've decided is worthy of taxation.

Not really, you just have to adjust the amount of it you drink. There is nothing unhealthy about milk (unless you believe the nutters who say dairy products are poison to humans), no matter if full or reduced.

Honestly, Americans are all small government/no free handouts 'til someone says "grow less corn". Then they go all crazy. Why'd they love corn so much?

It was nature's butt-plug and dildo during colonial times, it just kinda caught on.

But seriously, this whole "We must tax the fat!" thing is ridiculous and will do absolutely nothing to curb obesity. Once they start taxing sugar, we can talk again.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 1, 2011,
when are people going to stop trying to manipulate what they put into their bodies
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Meths

Because its tasty.
edit: lmao. wrong thread.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Oct 1, 2011,
Good, stop fatties.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by xgunterx
Long article but very interesting.

What if it's all been a big fat lie.

That's putting it mildly. Could you summarize it?
they should just cut the crap and just tax ugliness directly instead of beating around the bush
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Right idea, completely wrong execution.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Eggmond
they should just cut the crap and just tax ugliness directly instead of beating around the bush

Bush tax, now THERE'S an idea I can sink my teeth into!
Page 1 of 2