If there is a guitar riff that requires fast alternate picking on the sixth string, I seem to always angle my pick/hand clockwise towards the guitar. When I realized this I tried to play the same section without angling, but I became very sloppy. This only happens on the sixth string. Is this a bad habit to have?
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
You are actually supposed to angle the pick. It makes playing a bit easier, especially with alternate/tremolo picking.
Quote by Poglia
You are actually supposed to angle the pick. It makes playing a bit easier, especially with alternate/tremolo picking.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I was inhibiting myself or not.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
I don't think he meant the same thing. He probably meant angling the pick as in whether the pick is parallel to the string or not.

With "guitar" do you mean the body or the neck? With clockwise, where do you look the guitar from, the top (headstock end) or bottom?

If I understood correctly, you mean that you angle your hand so that your thumb comes closer to the body. I also do that when I play the sixth string, but I have no idea whether it's a good habit or not. I haven't noticed it slowing me down or anything, so you probably shouldn't worry too much about it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
You'll notice that by doing that there's less surface area of the pick hitting the string which actually helps playing faster/smoother.

It's a good thing and definitely recommended.
Well then for the first time ever I unknowingly started a guitar habit that was beneficial haha. Thanks guys.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Definitely angle your picking hand. It just makes everything run smoother. I know I'm late but I wanted to get my point in too
Not exactly a frequent poster.